Daily Mail: The Church is facing extinction

Forget about deities, it doesn't matter whether they are real or not. Churches were/are communities, and communities are a good thing. Lack of community is one of the main things wrong with Britain today. People are happier and more succesful in life when they are part of a community than when they live more isolated lives.

Whilst there may be a kernel of truth in what you say about community, the fact is that societal health correlates inversely with religiosity.

Communities that increase the happiness of the members, but make no judgement on those outside the community, will on balance increase the overall health of society.

Communities that create a feeling of superiority and importance, make judgements on those outside the community, or even try to control, can lead to an in/out mentality which may be good for those in the community but will on balance reduce the health of society.

Think shared hobbies and interests for the former, think politics and religion for the latter.

Do you think you've somehow "got one over" on me now because I haven't indulged further in your failure to comprehend the use of language in such cases?

:hihi:

I'm not the one thinking that the most Reverend John Sentamu was talking about everyone when he said, the people of England are left floundering amid meaninglessness, anxiety and despair.

:hihi:

I'm not the one thinking that the most Reverend John Sentamu was talking about everyone when he said, the people of England are left floundering amid meaninglessness, anxiety and despair.

No, you're the one who never manages to back up his claims

To be honest this doesn't really matter, if you believe in God and are a Christian and want to go to Church there is going to be a church somewhere, maybe not in your local area but there is still going to be a church somewhere in Sheffield.

If your Atheist then this doesn't really effect your life at all.

The going to church and worshipping bit doesn't effect me at all, but there are plenty of other things that religious people are motivated by their religion to do that have, and do, effect me.

It's atheism with a little "a" btw, like theism it doesn't warrant being capitalised. It might seem petty, and it might just be a mistake, but it's often done disingenuously.

Forget about deities, it doesn't matter whether they are real or not. Churches were/are communities, and communities are a good thing. Lack of community is one of the main things wrong with Britain today. People are happier and more succesful in life when they are part of a community than when they live more isolated lives.

Well said Comrade, always had you down for one of us HH.

The going to church and worshipping bit doesn't effect me at all, but there are plenty of other things that religious people are motivated by their religion to do that have, and do, effect me.

It's atheism with a little "a" btw, like theism it doesn't warrant being capitalised. It might seem petty, and it might just be a mistake, but it's often done disingenuously.

I didn't meen it disingenuous it's just often religions are done with capitals. Out of interest what religiously motivated things effect you (it's not a loaded question I'm just interested)

I always support my stance with evidence

'course you do :hihi:

unlike you, you tend to resort to petty name calling.

Can you show a post where I've;

a) Not provided evidence

b) Called you names?

EDIT: Unless you're talking about alternate account names, I do mention your other account names sometimes Mr.Smith/Maxmaximus/Agnos, surely you're not offended by your own names?

Archived