Daily Mail: The Church is facing extinction

Personally, I don't think England is a better place with the demise of Christian Churches and Church communities. When everybody belonged, albeit by default, they at least had something in common and had certain expectations to live up to.

They might not go to Church but kids got a good dose of 'God' in school which developed their consciences and kept them on the straight and narrow.

People had a much greater sense of 'duty' too.

They might not go to Church but kids got a good dose of 'God' in school which developed their consciences and kept them on the straight and narrow.

But by delegating all that teaching to God in school, when those same kids decide a few years later that God doesn't exist, they also realise that there's nothing to stop them from doing as wish because the person they've been taught to fear isn't going to punish them.

I believe that one of the good things about religion is it's ability to make people behave themselves, but I think in these days there should be far more emphasis on doing what the sensible bits of the Bible say because it makes you a better person and a valuable member of society, not because some bloke on a cloud will sentence you to eternal damnation.

I prefer to develop my children's sense of right and wrong by reasoning and example rather than fear of being watched by the clean bogey man.

I prefer to develop my children's sense of right and wrong by reasoning and example rather than fear of being watched by the clean bogey man.

I'm glad to hear it, but what about the children of parents who don't? Those children have to get it from school; unambiguously, and on a regular daily basis to make it stick.

By the time they realise, to answer dosxuk, that God does or doesn't exist, (?) the lessons have been learned and ingrained in the moral psyche.

I really think we are in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

But by delegating all that teaching to God in school, when those same kids decide a few years later that God doesn't exist, they also realise that there's nothing to stop them from doing as wish because the person they've been taught to fear isn't going to punish them.

I've never believed in a god and my childhood religious education only went as far as singing hymns and saying the lords prayer during assembly. I've always been I kind, caring person - and I've never been in trouble with the law. So why you think that children need to be turned into a bunch of fearful and paranoid wrecks is beyond me.

There are a lot of religious people who behave horrendously - many of whom justify their behaviour because of their belief in god(the Yorkshire Ripper is one example.) God belief doesn't stop people behaving badly.

I'm glad to hear it, but what about the children of parents who don't? Those children have to get it from school; unambiguously, and on a regular daily basis to make it stick.

By the time they realise, to answer dosxuk, that God does or doesn't exist, (?) the lessons have been learned and ingrained in the moral psyche.

I really think we are in danger of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

You seem to think that teaching kids a belief in a god is the only way that schools can instil in them a sense of right and wrong.

You seem to think that teaching kids a belief in a god is the only way that schools can instil in them a sense of right and wrong.

No, of course not, but if the message of right and wrong comes from 'God' it can be more effective on impressionable children. It's also has to be daily and consistant, not a debate.

This might be considered wrong by some, but the affect can be dramatic and long lasting even though the actual belief in God might fade with time and reason. Debate can come later, the message stays fixed.

I've never believed in a god and my childhood religious education only went as far as singing hymns and saying the lords prayer during assembly. I've always been I kind, caring person - and I've never been in trouble with the law. So why you think that children need to be turned into a bunch of fearful and paranoid wrecks is beyond me.

There are a lot of religious people who behave horrendously - many of whom justify their behaviour because of their belief in god(the Yorkshire Ripper is one example.) God belief doesn't stop people behaving badly.

Half Arthur ?

They might not go to Church but kids got a good dose of 'God' in school which developed their consciences and kept them on the straight and narrow..

I am old enough to remember being subjected to Christianity at school in assembly as well as RE (religious Education), however it wasn't that that kept people on the straight and narrow, it was the likelihood of getting six of the best.

I have always been amused by people that are convinced that if there was no religious leadership or teaching then individuals would just kill and torture each other.

How do you think that mankind reached the stage of -30 BC with all their eyes intact and not everyone dead before Jesus told people to Love their neighbour?

To think this way is a result of religious organisation brainwashing, there can be no other answer.

I am old enough to remember being subjected to Christianity at school in assembly as well as RE (religious Education), however it wasn't that that kept people on the straight and narrow, it was the likelihood of getting six of the best.

And neither stopped the bad kids behaving badly.

To think this way is a result of religious organisation brainwashing, there can be no other answer.

Totally agree.

Archived