Is it just another great big scam?

Hasn't the cost of the aircraft carriers almost doubled as well? How the hell can the costs spiral to the extent they have. Does the Government not know what the ships require to be state of the art and include it in the design brief, because if I remember correctly a huge amount of the money is for extras.

They say it's cheaper to build them,than to cancel the contracts.

Why is that???:huh:

---------- Post added 20-11-2013 at 23:49 ----------

I'm not sure why they don't just dig an arrow straight tunnel between london-b'ham-manc-sheff-leeds?

have it surface near each city, would solve a lot of the problems regarding nimbys, compulsory purchase etc.

you could probably set the machines going in a few months so the whole project could be done fairly swiftly if only we didn't just leave our machines under the english channel...

Don't forget the millions needed to build tunnels for rare newts,toads etc: So they can cross safely..:D

I'm not sure why they don't just dig an arrow straight tunnel between london-b'ham-manc-sheff-leeds?

have it surface near each city, would solve a lot of the problems regarding nimbys, compulsory purchase etc.

you could probably set the machines going in a few months so the whole project could be done fairly swiftly if only we didn't just leave our machines under the english channel...

Think that's a pretty neat idea actually. Stations could be underground as well, fed by loop monorails from towncentres.

No blot on the landscape, no more 'leaves on the line,' weather proof etc.

They say it's cheaper to build them,than to cancel the contracts.

Why is that???

Two main, co-related reasons:

(I) Public sector buyers/teams can't negotiate/perform due diligence for toffee ;

(II) So they get contractually rolled by private sector sellers.

Seen it plenty enough at the coalface with Unis, the NHS and the civvy side of the MoD, so no reason to suspect the MoD/Navy aircraft carrier buyer(s) would be any better at it.

:twisted:

Think that's a pretty neat idea actually. Stations could be underground as well, fed by loop monorails from towncentres.

No blot on the landscape, no more 'leaves on the line,' weather proof etc.

I can't begin to imagine how expensive that would be.

It's quite cheap to tunnel under a mountain - it's made of stone and rock. It's very very expensive to tunnel under marshland / sandy hills / other non-stable geological features.

I can't begin to imagine how expensive that would be.

It's quite cheap to tunnel under a mountain - it's made of stone and rock. It's very very expensive to tunnel under marshland / sandy hills / other non-stable geological features.

Maybe, but the Marmaray project mentioned is tunnelling through soft shale in an earthquake zone, and has still brought it in at £2.5 billion.

As for cost, someone said the high cost was the need to buy up the land to build on.

---------- Post added 21-11-2013 at 19:46 ----------

Two main, co-related reasons:

(I) Public sector buyers/teams can't negotiate/perform due diligence for toffee ;

(II) So they get contractually rolled by private sector sellers.

Seen it plenty enough at the coalface with Unis, the NHS and the civvy side of the MoD, so no reason to suspect the MoD/Navy aircraft carrier buyer(s) would be any better at it.

:twisted:

So basically what you're saying is these very highly paid individuals are incompetent. Why isn't something done about that?

Archived