Brown Bayleys 1960,s staff

biker

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work across the road from bayleys at Malbeth Ltd, we used to repair the old ingot moulds. Our old labourer worked at bayleys as a fettler, is name is Frank Cooper, he was a big beggar. He lived in the White Hart in the early 70's with Eric and Betty. I wonder if he is still knocking about, he was living on Greenland road when he got made redundant in the 90's.

• 3 weeks later...
Heres some of Elect apprentices of the 60s I remember. Graham Fieldsend he was severely injured when he fell from a crane and survived ,we both got married on the same day.

Pat Molloney, Mick Gill, Stuart Elliot, Stuart Casson, Chris Mullins, Les Cousins. Dave Asquith. and I think biker is Stuart B. We had a lot more apps than that but my memories a bit fuzzy now, we worked in some unpleasant conditions but we did have a lorra fun tho.

Do you know if Stuart Casson was related to Henry Casson. Henry Casson died in an accident at Brown Bayleys. I think it happened in 1974.

• 2 weeks later...
The last time I saw Les Cousins was at Unbreako Steels in Kiveton where he was the Engineer and also Alec Foggatt worked at Sparton Steels as the Engineer in Templeboro when I worked for Yorkshire Electricity.

What years was Les Cousins at Unbrako? I was an electrician on the rolling mill there from 1973-1976 and he wasn't there then.Just before I left a second hand electric arc furnace appeared there.It was from Brown Bayleys!!!.I wondered if Les had anything to do with it.

---------- Post added 10-01-2014 at 23:01 ----------

Heres some of Elect apprentices of the 60s I remember. Graham Fieldsend he was severely injured when he fell from a crane and survived ,we both got married on the same day.

Pat Molloney, Mick Gill, Stuart Elliot, Stuart Casson, Chris Mullins, Les Cousins. Dave Asquith. and I think biker is Stuart B. We had a lot more apps than that but my memories a bit fuzzy now, we worked in some unpleasant conditions but we did have a lorra fun tho.

Apprentices were the cheap labour but we learned a lot.It was fun kicking down dust on the foremen from a great height though.

It was about 2000 we were doing HV maint on their swgr and I heard this voice approaching and straight away knew who it was and sure enough in walked Les who it turned out to be was the Engineer.

Its been closed and turned into small units for years now

• 3 weeks later...
It was about 2000 we were doing HV maint on their swgr and I heard this voice approaching and straight away knew who it was and sure enough in walked Les who it turned out to be was the Engineer.

Les Cousins had a new Royal Enfield GT Sports in the late 1960,s.Dick Roscoe had a new Honda 175 The rest of us had older bikes.Les Cousins must have been the only person at Brown Bayleys that didn,t swear.When everybody else said f### off ,Les said go forth and multiply

---------- Post added 04-02-2014 at 23:30 ----------

Frank Staniforth was my Shift engineer in the melting shop,top man.

Frank and Eric Sheldon were the shift chargehands who worked alternate 12 hour shifts all the time.They were both good men and always helpful.We used to work 6 x 13 hour nightshifts.After working my 6 shifts the day foreman left Frank a note saying that I also had to work Saturday night the next day to look after some welders.I was not happy !!!!! Frank said do it and I will complain about you having to do it on Monday.I arrived Saturday night no welders,only me and security on site.I thought sod this and walked down the railway line and up to Darnall to catch a bus home leaving the motorbike so that I would get paid.I was waiting for the bus and guess who got off it and saw me!!! It was Frank.He never said a word but he didn't go in the office on Monday.I got a lift back in the early hours and walked back down the railway line into work.At least I got paid.Frank was a good honest man

• 8 months later...