Bible - Fiction?

Religion is used as an excuse all the time. It's never the real reason.

Religious literature often portrays those who differ in a negative way - and that influences its followers to fear, distrust or dislike what or who differs. Religion is often the real reason.

I'm not saying anything, just presenting the links for your perusal and to make your own decisions as to whether it really was religion to blame or media spin.

Your post suggests otherwise, you may want to be a little clearer with your wording...

If we are to allow everyone to believe what they want, then surely that would also apply to people that believe mocking someone is harmless, so shouldn't be discouraged. The time to worry is when atheists start killing theists because of their beliefs.
Then worry as this time is upon us:

‘Militant Atheist’ Accused of Savagely Beating Pastor Inside His Own Church After Sunday Service

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10/23/militant-atheist-accused-of-savagely-beating-pastor-inside-his-own-church-after-sunday-service/

Religious literature often portrays those who differ in a negative way - and that influences its followers to fear, distrust or dislike what or who differs. Religion is often the real reason.
I think that view about religious influence, is somewhat misrepresentative.

You must have come across some very bigoted religious people if that's been your experience.

Do you know the beliefs of everyone you encounter in everyday life? because I know I don't.

I'm sure most theists, like most atheists are closely acquainted with people whose beliefs/non-beliefs are something they are seldom aware of.

Apart from on these forum discussions I wouldn't dream of casually asking a person what their beliefs were, and if It should happen to be revealed that they have a different belief, it wouldn't make a scrap of difference to my view about what I thought of them before I discovered that detail.

I'm sure that would apply to most of us.

I was pointing out a fact that religious literature does give a negative view about others. That's a fact regardless of how few or how many are influenced by that literature.

Let me put it this way: If you place emphasis on scripture that shows negative attitudes towards others, and bring up a child in that environment where others are depicted in a negative way, that child is likely to adopt those negative attitudes towards others.

You must have come across some very bigoted religious people if that's been your experience.

My statement was based on the negative psychological impact that religion can have. I've known bigoted and decent people from all walks of life.

Do you know the beliefs of everyone you encounter in everyday life? because I know I don't.

I'm sure most theists, like most atheists are closely acquainted with people whose beliefs/non-beliefs are something they are seldom aware of.

Apart from on these forum discussions I wouldn't dream of casually asking a person what their beliefs were, and if It should happen to be revealed that they have a different belief, it wouldn't make a scrap of difference to my view about what I thought of them before I discovered that detail.

I'm sure that would apply to most of us.

Maybe not so much in this country but in many parts America it's a whole different situation.

Many atheists over there either keep quite because they are really concerned if they 'come out'* to family and friends they'll be seen as a bad person.

*come out seems to be a regular phrase used because the impact is often equated to coming out as homosexual.

I was pointing out a fact that religious literature does give a negative view about others. That's a fact regardless of how few or how many are influenced by that literature.

Let me put it this way: If you place emphasis on scripture that shows negative attitudes towards others, and bring up a child in that environment where others are depicted in a negative way, that child is likely to adopt those negative attitudes towards others.

Well I may not be an authority on all religious scripture, but I'm familiar enough with the teachings of Christ well enough to know that prejudice against those who were considered different, was not set by his example.

Maybe not so much in this country but in many parts America it's a whole different situation.

Many atheists over there either keep quite because they are really concerned if they 'come out'* to family and friends they'll be seen as a bad person.

*come out seems to be a regular phrase used because the impact is often equated to coming out as homosexual.

I don't doubt some of them have problems. America is so vast, if you were to ask some of them what their individual experiences have been in that regard, they would all have different views on that position.

I don't think you can really compere America with us. Many have an attachment to their past religious heritage because they strongly identify themselves with the history and struggle of their ancestors, some who went to America to escape religious persecution.

On the whole, I think traditionally they have always tried to be a tolerant nation who have a history of welcoming people from all cultures, races beliefs/non beliefs.

Well I may not be an authority on all religious scripture, but I'm familiar enough with the teachings of Christ well enough to know that prejudice against those who were considered different, was not set by his example.

I don't doubt some of them have problems. America is so vast, if you were to ask some of them what their individual experiences have been in that regard, they would all have different views on that position.

I don't think you can really compere America with us. Many have an attachment to their past religious heritage because they strongly identify themselves with the history and struggle of their ancestors, some who went to America to escape religious persecution.

On the whole, I think traditionally they have always tried to be a tolerant nation who have a history of welcoming people from all cultures, races beliefs/non beliefs.

I think the problem is not the vastness of the country but the higher percentage of Christians in the USA than the UK. As for tolerance, look at the attitudes to abortion and same sex marriage in many states.

You may want to check why the Pilgrim Fathers left for the New World, rather than being persecuted they wanted to impose the rather unpopular Puritanism here.

I'm talking about scripture in general, and not specifically on the little that Jesus supposedly said. I'm also not just talking about Christianity here. The Quran also portrays others in a negative fashion.

If you bring a child up in an environment where emphasis is placed on scripture portraying or implying others are wicked, evil, liars, anti-Christ's or damned, etc - simply for not believing - then it's going to give the child a negative black & white view of others. That child is going to grow up the same as a child in a racist family: fearful, hateful and intolerant of those who differ.

Archived