Bible - Fiction?

I am happy with my beliefs re.The Bible.

The fact that you haven't even bothered to make some effort by looking into this matter in more detail prior to your assertions surprises me. Read the works of Josephus for yourself first, then come on here with your questions. At least then maybe it would prove you have bothered to do some research rather then just sounding like a troll.

1. I don't believe you have read the writings of Josephus either.

2. I don't think it's necessary for me to have read the complete works of Josephus to take part in this discussion.

3. You are now just ad hominem attacking me instead of addressing the argument.

You claimed that "Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were not merely authors, BUT witnesses [to Jesus' life]"

When challenged whether you knew this or just believed it, you cited the works of Josephus.

I'm now asking you simply how exactly Josephus established the authorship of the gospels, seeing as you so condescendingly dismissed Rootsbooster's question by namedropping Josephus I figured this wouldn't be a problem for you.

If you can answer that question, please do. If you can't, can you let me know by doing another ad hominem, thanks.

The fact that you haven't even bothered to make some effort by looking into this matter in more detail prior to your assertions surprises me. Read the works of Josephus for yourself first, then come on here with your questions. At least then maybe it would prove you have bothered to do some research rather then just sounding like a troll.

Assuming you don't believe all of the Bible. Most (rational) people accept that the earth is much, much older than 6000 years old, that slavery shouldn't be condoned, amongst others things.

How do you choose what to and what not to believe?

Isn't most of your knowledge based on believing what you have read or been told.

For instance the sun is 149,597,870,700 meters from earth, is this something you know because you have measured it, or is it something you simply believe because someone told you or you read it somewhere.

I think you just made the distinction between the two for yourself;

Know because you measured it (although in reality most of us wouldn't do this as it has already been done by many people. The information checks out though, you can check it to make sure you know, rather than just believe what you're told)

Believe simply be convinced of something, accept it as the truth. No proof is necessary.

---------- Post added 09-12-2013 at 21:50 ----------

I'm just surprised how many people are talk about "debating" yet are completely unwilling to accept anyone else's point of view.

Who exactly are you talking about?

Most people accept that others may have their own point of view but to actually accept that point of view is a different thing altogether

---------- Post added 09-12-2013 at 21:56 ----------

Have you not read the works of The historian, Josephus?

I'm sorry, I thought I asked you a question first. Did you not notice or are you just being tergiversational?

---------- Post added 09-12-2013 at 22:01 ----------

Without making some effort into research yourself, your argument will go something like this?

Person A. I don't believe in The Bible.

Person B. Gives their reasons for believing in it.

Person A. I don't care, I still don't believe in it.

Person B. Give me your reasons for not believing in it?

Person A. Because I don't, no matter what people say.

Person B. What evidence have you read that led you to dispute what historians say?

Person A. I don't know I can't be bothered to do any research into the subject, I want the easy way out, I want someone to do my research for me and then I will just pick holes in their argument, regardless.

A doubting Thomas indeed.

I think you just hope it goes that way

I am happy with my beliefs re.The Bible

Neither of us have said otherwise, remember this has all stemmed from a simple question which you could have just answered...

Do you know that Matt, Mark, Luke & John were witnesses or do you just believe that?

I think you just made the distinction between the two for yourself;

Know because you measured it (although in reality most of us wouldn't do this as it has already been done by many people. The information checks out though, you can check it to make sure you know, rather than just believe what you're told)

Believe simply be convinced of something, accept it as the truth. No proof is necessary.

So ultimately you simply believe that the information is correct because many people say it is. Not much different to people that believe in God and the bible, why do they need to check the facts in the bible when many people have already checked them and confirmed they are true.

So ultimately you simply believe that the information is correct because many people say it is. Not much different to people that believe in God and the bible, why do they need to check the facts in the bible when many people have already checked them and confirmed they are true.

They don't need to check, that's belief, you just said so yourself

They don't need to check, that's belief, you just said so yourself

Yes and most people have belief in many things that they haven't checked for themselves, just like you I believe the sun is 149,597,870,700 meters from earth, I haven't checked it because I have faith that this figure is correct.

Yes and most people have belief in many things that they have checked for themselves

Correct, not only do they believe, they also know

just like you I believe the sun is 149,597,870,700 meters from earth
I've never really given the subject much consideration

I haven't checked it because I have faith that this figure is correct.
Yes, you believe it

Correct, not only do they believe, they also know

I've never really given the subject much consideration

Yes, you believe it

Have should have been haven't, most of the knowledge that we know to be facts, are in fact just faith that the facts we were taught are correct.

EDIT-

Yes and most people have belief in many things that they haven't checked for themselves

Okay, you've changed your post, it still reads okay, people believe in things that they haven't checked out for themselves

---------- Post added 09-12-2013 at 22:38 ----------

Have should have been haven't, most of the knowledge that we know to be facts, are in fact just faith that the facts we were taught are correct.

If they are facts then that means they can be proven. You can either just believe in the facts you are told or you can seek out the proof and know for sure.

If they are facts then that means they can be proven. You can either just believe in the facts you are told or you can seek out the proof and know for sure.

Thats right, but for most people that is impossible so they rely on faith.

Archived