Bible - Fiction?

I know that. I'm curious about the thought process.

Was also brought up a Catholic. Had serious doubts about the whole thing from an early age. Too much suspension of reason & lack of common sense required in my opinion.

However, I have witnessed religion play a positive & helpful role in many peoples lives.

I suppose it provides a purpose for many people, & a hope that they will be reunited with their loved ones when they die.

Without it, it is difficult for many people to see a purpose behind our existence.

Personally I would quite like to believe, as I think it satisfies a human need & a lot of religious people seem happier as a result.

But if you can't believe because you believe it irrational, then that's simply the way it is.

I am Agnostic, as being Atheist also requires belief in an unknown theory.

Without proof either way the juries still out as far as I'm concerned. :)

In your opinion.

Like I said, you see, freedom of choice: you do believe in at least that.

At least? You say it as though an atheist is expected to barely believe in anything!

The only difference between an atheist and a theist is that the atheist believes in one less god than the theist (unless it's a pantheist/polytheist).

As the saying goes "We just go one god further"

I am Agnostic, as being Atheist also requires belief in an unknown theory.

Without proof either way the juries still out as far as I'm concerned. :)

What theory is that?

At least? You say it as though an atheist is expected to barely believe in anything!

The only difference between an atheist and a theist is that the atheist believes in one less god than the theist (unless it's a pantheist/polytheist).

As the saying goes "We just go one god further"

What theory is that?

The theory that there is no such thing as God without absolute proof. Whilst you can say that on the balance of probability, there is no God, if you cannot provide unquestionable proof then what you are doing is asking people to believe what you believe.

Which is what religious people do isn't it?

The theory that there is no such thing as God without absolute proof. Whilst you can say that on the balance of probability, there is no God, if you cannot provide unquestionable proof then what you are doing is asking people to believe what you believe.

I lack a belief of any gods based on the available evidence. I'm certainly not looking for absolute proof, if such a thing exists.

The same as I do for any so called supernatural phenomenon.

There's a difference between asking people to believe there isn't a god without proof (which an antitheist might do) and asking people to not believe in gods without proof (which an atheist might do). The anti-theist's position might be comparable to that of religious people in terms of belief but the atheist's position isn't.

Archived