Bible - Fiction?

I'm an atheist. And yes, I don't believe in the existence of a god because I find no good convincing reason to.

The majority of atheists I know or have known, all leave a door open for the possibility of a god existing. But, like me, they find no convincing reason to believe one does.

I've come across a lot of agnostics who, like you, cling solely to that label and they always seem to have the same misinformed straw-man definition of atheism that religious apologists tout. Like you, they'll argue for their straw-man view to the teeth - even when their arguments, like yours, have been slapped down on numerous occasions. They are, like you, hardly laid back.

As I explained to RootsBooster above, I really don't care. I'm amused by the thread. Don't think you can get much more laid back about things than that. :)

The importance that some people give to the definition of a word & the hoops which they are prepared to jump through to justify their interpretation is hilarious.

So to add to my fun please explain the difference between an Atheist the common conception of which is don't believe in God & those who maybe do, just a little bit. :)

As I explained to RootsBooster above, I really don't care. I'm amused by the thread.

So because you find these threads amusing, you're acting like an intellectually dishonest troll. Fair enough.

The importance that some people give to the definition of a word & the hoops which they are prepared to jump through to justify their interpretation is hilarious.

Exactly. I'm surprised you haven't broken a rib laughing at yourself.

So to add to my fun please explain the difference between an Atheist the common conception of which is don't believe in God & those who maybe do, just a little bit. :)

Saying 'there's a slim possibility that some kind of god exists' is not the same as 'believing just a little bit'.

I don't believe that any gods exist, but I am prepared to accept the possibility that one [or more] might.

Saying 'there's a slim possibility that some kind of god exists' is not the same as 'believing just a little bit'.

I don't believe that any gods exist, but I am prepared to accept the possibility that one might.

And that is, in my opinion, a perfectly reasonable & sensible opinion to hold.

The only people I would ever take issue with are the totally dogmatic people who are absolutely certain of their point of view, without the support of any actual evidence whatsoever.

They are to be found in both camps in the 'is there, isn't there' argument.

I don't believe that any gods exist, but I am prepared to accept the possibility that one might.

Unlike theists who's world would fall apart should the possibility be that one might not. Accepting that possibility questions their faith so It isn't likely to happen.

---------- Post added 20-12-2013 at 16:10 ----------

The only people I would ever take issue with are the totally dogmatic people who are absolutely certain of their point of view, without the support of any actual evidence whatsoever.

They are to be found in both camps in the 'is there, isn't there' argument.

There isn't any evidence to support the existence which I'm presuming jimmy was making reference to. Evidence = preparing to accept.

That is an atheistic position, and the position of every atheist on this thread who you've been arguing with.

It is also Richard Dawkin's position, as well as every other prominent atheist I've heard of.

That is an atheistic position, and the position of every atheist on this thread who you've been arguing with.

It is also Richard Dawkin's position, as well as every other prominent atheist I've heard of.

Not quite, there is absolutely nothing that would make me even consider the possibility of a God. I don't discount the possibility of advanced Aliens with the ability to create life, I'm even happy to consider the possibility of non-corporeal lifeforms, but God, heaven, hell, life after death, as far as I am concerned they are impossible.

Not quite, there is absolutely nothing that would make me even consider the possibility of a God. I don't discount the possibility of advanced Aliens with the ability to create life, I'm even happy to consider the possibility of non-corporeal lifeforms, but God, heaven, hell, life after death, as far as I am concerned they are impossible.

Fair enough, I would also discount life after death.

However I do not completely dismiss the possibility that the universe was created, I just think it's pretty unlikely. I mean something must have existed without being created, so why not the universe.

Fair enough, I would also discount life after death.

However I do not completely dismiss the possibility that the universe was created, I just think it's pretty unlikely. I mean something must have existed without being created, so why not the universe.

That makes sense to me.

Unlike theists who's world would fall apart should the be that one might not. Accepting that possibility questions their faith so It isn't likely to happen.

There isn't any evidence to support the existence which I'm presuming jimmy was making reference to. Evidence = preparing to accept.

No it wouldn't, and that comment just goes to show how little you know about theists, in your general assumption.

Many do have periods of doubt through life's experiences, some momentary, others for longer or intermittent periods.

A believer should always be prepared for doubt, it can often be a sign of growth as I've now realised, and if it I was to doubt at any time in the future I wouldn't let it bother me in the slightest.

"Doubt is but an element of faith" Saint Augustine.

Archived