Bible - Fiction?

It may have been mentioned but the topic of the thread is about the Bible being fiction or not. Something I have discussed.

I read books that interest me: history, archaeology, science & psychology. I also read books on mythology(theology) and other fiction.

To understand other people's views, the history behind those views and the reasoning behind those views. It would also be silly to argue against something or believe something without giving it any consideration or investigation. Religion also plays a negative and positive role in society - identifying the influence behind those attributes helps improve my understanding and arguments.

Maybe you should consider doing something like the above.

Maybe you are projecting here because it seems to me that is what you've been trying to do. People here have simply corrected you on your straw-man arguments.

The meaning of life? I don't know. As far as I can tell we are biological organisms that strive to survive and consume, reproduce and die. Is there some ultimate outside purpose for that? There doesn't seem to be.

'Shuffle off this earthly coil' - I guess you mean when we die. By the looks of things our cells deteriorate and we become a putrid mass of rotting flesh, bone and bodily fluids. Parasites, bacteria and other critters then make a meal of us - especially if we aren't cremated.

Again, another misrepresentation of atheists.

Of course I have an opinion on it: I do not believe in an afterlife because I find no good convincing reason to believe there is one.

But my views on the above are nothing to do with my atheism. Atheists can believe in all sorts of crazy stuff: an afterlife, vampires, leprechauns, psychokinesis,... you name it. We just don't believe in gods.

Thank you, little problem with any of that. Apart from your suppositions regarding my motives, already explained them, I'm being amused.

Your reading doesn't extend to Shakespeare I presume, 'shuffle off' was a slight misquote from Hamlet, it's 'mortal coil' not earth.

As everyone tends to misquote ' All that glisters is not gold ' as 'glistens' I thought it was permissible. :)

---------- Post added 21-12-2013 at 10:51 ----------

Deluded too, then. No surprises there.

Really? then how come you remember me whilst I have no recollection of you then?

:)

I do not believe this government will survive the next election.

This simply means you are not convinced they will survive, which leaves room for still being open to the possibility that they may survive.

I believe the government will not survive the next election.

This means you are convinced that they will not survive, it's a conclusive belief.

Do you see the difference yet?

This simply means you are not convinced they will survive, which leaves room for still being open to the possibility that they may survive.

This means you are convinced that they will not survive, it's a conclusive belief.

And to think you warned mjw47 about me. :D

I wouldn't bother trying to argue definitions with Angos, he loves to derail a thread by arguing semantics.

That's not arguing definitions, it's pointing out the meanings of two differing sentences

Thats makes all the different then, clearly arguing about the meaning of a sentence is far more important than arguing about the meaning of a word. :hihi:

Is it or is it not a Belief? If not, then why is it perfectly acceptable to describe it as such?

Both statements could be uttered by the same person & he would believe them to mean exactly the same thing.

We're back to semantics again, you're over thinking the situation for the sake of continuing the argument. Which is fine by me, but I hope you don't go off like this down the pub, because it could very likely end in trouble, or alternatively you nursing a pint all on your lonesome. :)

---------- Post added 21-12-2013 at 13:11 ----------

Get into the spirit of Christmas, and stop being so flipping nasty.:rant:

Leave him alone janie he's great. :)

---------- Post added 21-12-2013 at 13:17 ----------

Because freaks are always much more memorable than normal people.

Brilliant! You haven't been paying that much attention have you? On two separate occasions now I have pointed out that I am only on this thread because it's amusing me, as did the last one. :)

So imagine my reaction to your infantile abuse. :hihi:

It would appear that you however, are getting a bit worked up about things. Have a lay down, relax, chill out. :)

Archived