Should employees be allowed to wear recording devices at work?

If i am spoken to in that way i would point it out and ask i be spoken to in an appropriate manner or not at all i would never ever covertly record anybody, especially in my place of employment...how would anybody ever trust that they could converse in confidence with someone that even thinks this way.....in fact i am even worried you may be recording me now ;-)

Where I work many employees often get spoken to absolutely atrociously by supervisors and management, so should employees be allowed to wear audio and/or visual recording devices such as pencams etc?

I don't mean covertly, all should be made aware that some/all employees could be wearing recording devices.

The point about pencams is that they're made to be unobtrusive so no permission is required.

And yes, if staff are being bullied/abused, it's a bit of a no-brainer to record the incidents for use at any future tribnunals/appeals etc.

The point about pencams is that they're made to be unobtrusive so no permission is required.

And yes, if staff are being bullied/abused, it's a bit of a no-brainer to record the incidents for use at any future tribnunals/appeals etc.

but like I already said they will be inadmissible and you could not use them.

but like I already said they will be inadmissible and you could not use them.

admissable where? The only place such evidence might be inadmissable, in some circumstances, is in a court.

At the end of the day, it's a recording of what was actually said, and so is usefull if, for example, the other person involved is lying about what was said.

That sounds like instant dismissal to me.

I don't think you could sack them. I'd leave them outside for all meetings and everything else if I could and reduce their hours to as little possible. I can't have people recording stuff willy nilly. I could treat them like kings but by default they'd be recording stuff I don't want competitors etc seeing and I've got no control to how it's presented and who gets it.

Ha, I could get fired from my job just for having my phone in my pocket. My job is incredibly data-sensitive and I'm under a lot of legal paperwork, mostly NDAs & DPA which even the tiniest of breaches could land me behind bars.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived