Do you want to know your DNA?

It is now possible to profile your DNA for a relatively achievable amount. Puting the cost aside: Would you want to know what your DNA says about you and your health?

Personally I wouldn't want to know. I have some pretty poor genetics on my dad's side, a propensity for heart attacks, various cancers and so on. I know about them already, I wouldn't want to have them confirmed. 'Life is like a box of chocolates...'

It is now possible to profile your DNA for a relatively achievable amount. Puting the cost aside: Would you want to know what your DNA says about you and your health?

Personally I wouldn't want to know. I have some pretty poor genetics on my dad's side, a propensity for heart attacks, various cancers and so on. I know about them already, I wouldn't want to have them confirmed. 'Life is like a box of chocolates...'

only half of your genes come from your father, the half you got from your mother might override the not so nice ones from your father.

your overall health is more than just a result of the action of your genes. what you do, eat and experience is just as or possibly more important as whatever your genes contribute.

Yes if it helps plan the future, if they could somehow predict the day of your death by natural causes, that would be even better.

It can't be long before rules are introduced, stating that DNA tests are mandatory for mortgages, borrowing, health insurance, car insurance and the like. You'll probably not even be able to get Nectar points soon without a mouth swab.

I have to agree with you, tzijlstra. I do think that it wouldn't be all that great to know whether something is wrong with your DNA or not. For one, there's nothing you could do about it. So knowing will only make you worry about things you can do nothing about. Also, if everything would be good, it still wouldn't be good to know that. For one, you could start to engage in not so healthy activities, thinking it will be fine as your DNA is superb, resulting in other health issues.

I have to agree with you, tzijlstra. I do think that it wouldn't be all that great to know whether something is wrong with your DNA or not. For one, there's nothing you could do about it. So knowing will only make you worry about things you can do nothing about. Also, if everything would be good, it still wouldn't be good to know that. For one, you could start to engage in not so healthy activities, thinking it will be fine as your DNA is superb, resulting in other health issues.

A disease which robs children of the ability to walk and talk has been cured by pioneering gene therapy to correct errors in their DNA, say doctors.

only half of your genes come from your father, the half you got from your mother might override the not so nice ones from your father.

your overall health is more than just a result of the action of your genes. what you do, eat and experience is just as or possibly more important as whatever your genes contribute.

Yes, I am aware of that, I just don't know that much about my Mum's side of the family. I agree that the 'lifestyle' factors are equally or probably even more important.

Yes if it helps plan the future, if they could somehow predict the day of your death by natural causes, that would be even better.

It can't be long before rules are introduced, stating that DNA tests are mandatory for mortgages, borrowing, health insurance, car insurance and the like. You'll probably not even be able to get Nectar points soon without a mouth swab.

The above two: Yes, this is a big, big worry, people are already put through a meatgrinder before they are allowed life insurance products, DNA has the potential to make that even stricter. I would like to see law introduced that forbids this.

A disease which robs children of the ability to walk and talk has been cured by pioneering gene therapy to correct errors in their DNA, say doctors.

I am in no way against DNA research (I happily use genmod products), it is more a question of whether you would want to know what it has to say about you.

I understand what you say my friend, best off just waiting for things to happen, my mum had heart problems and died of a urinary tract infection, that led to septicemia. It takes some believing my eldest brother died of heart failure, but had total kidney failure 1st and in end his heart just had enough.

My brother in Kent has an inoperable brain tumour and has had a massive stroke, I've had 2 heart attacks open heart surgery and now I'm inoperable as all my arteries are totally blocked, and nothing can be done (heart works at about 35%), and my care is palliative.

I've shed my tears with my family but now just get on with it and enjoy what I've got left, I know there are folk worse off than myself.

But you get on with things and make the best of it, I'm very limited in what I can do now, but I can still have a pint and a laugh so I'm happy.

Pete

Yes, I am aware of that, I just don't know that much about my Mum's side of the family. I agree that the 'lifestyle' factors are equally or probably even more important.

The above two: Yes, this is a big, big worry, people are already put through a meatgrinder before they are allowed life insurance products, DNA has the potential to make that even stricter. I would like to see law introduced that forbids this.

I am in no way against DNA research (I happily use genmod products), it is more a question of whether you would want to know what it has to say about you.

But as gene therapy improves the genetic disorders discovered by DNA profiling with be curable.

I understand what you say my friend, best off just waiting for things to happen, my mum had heart problems and died of a urinary tract infection, that led to septicemia. It takes some believing my eldest brother died of heart failure, but had total kidney failure 1st and in end his heart just had enough.

My brother in Kent has an inoperable brain tumour and has had a massive stroke, I've had 2 heart attacks open heart surgery and now I'm inoperable as all my arteries are totally blocked, and nothing can be done (heart works at about 35%), and my care is palliative.

I've shed my tears with my family but now just get on with it and enjoy what I've got left, I know there are folk worse off than myself.

But you get on with things and make the best of it, I'm very limited in what I can do now, but I can still have a pint and a laugh so I'm happy.

Pete

Didn't realise things were that bad Pete, sad to hear it. However, you still have to make it to 20,000 posts, preferably most of them posted after you had a few pints and a laugh, not gonna let you off the hook just cause you're poorly!

Archived