Who are the Palestinian people?

But that's not true, is it?

The majority of jews, estimated to be between 75 and 85% of jews worldwide, are of ashkenazi descent, whose ancestors are from Eastern Europe, towards the Far East.

Their ancestors never set foot in the Middle East.

ashkenazi jews are only jewish because their ancestors converted to judaism thousands of years ago, while they were still living in Eastern Europe and the Far East.

ashkenazi jews are not one of these "missing" tribies of israel.

As their ancestors never set foot in the land of Palestine, they have no business expelling the Palestinians, who've been living their for several hundred years (and certainly longer than the state of israel has been formed).

Not that it makes any difference.

But

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/742430.stm

Jews and Arabs are 'genetic brothers'

They may have their differences but Jews and Arabs share a common genetic heritage that stretches back thousands of years.

The striking similarities in their biology have just been revealed in a study of over 1,300 men in almost 30 countries worldwide.

Scientists compared the men's Y chromosomes, the tiny structures within cells that carry the genetic instructions that tell a developing foetus to become a boy.

The comparison also showed that Jews have successfully resisted having their gene pool diluted, despite having lived among non-Jews for thousands of years in what is commonly known as the Diaspora - the time since 556 BC when Jews migrated out of Palestine.

Genetic signatures

Throughout human history, alterations have occurred in the sequence of chemical bases that make up the DNA in the Y chromosome, leaving variations that can be pinpointed with modern genetic techniques.

Related populations carry the same specific variations. In this way, scientists can track descendants of large populations and determine their common ancestors.

The study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, found that Jewish men shared a common set of genetic signatures with non-Jews from the Middle East, including Palestinians, Syrians, and Lebanese.

These signatures were significantly different from non-Jewish men outside of the Middle East. This means Jews and Arabs have more in common with each other, genetically speaking, than they do with any of the wider communities in which they might live.

Good opportunity

Dr Mark Jobling of Leicester University, UK, one of the authors of the new study, told the BBC: "The kind of DNA we have used to analyse this question is the human Y chromosome. This represents only 2% of our genetic material and it is passed down from father to son.

"This makes it particularly interesting to use in a study of Jewish populations because Jewishness is passed down from the mother to children - it is maternally inherited. So using a paternally inherited piece of DNA gives us a good opportunity to see the signal of mixture with other populations if this has occurred.

"The fact that we don't see it suggests that after the Diaspora these populations really have managed to maintain their Jewish heritage.

Dr Jobling dismissed the idea that the study could have any political implications. "It seems that in many of these situations where groups are in conflict with each other they are likely to be pretty much genetically indistinguishable, and this factor, to the peoples involved in these conflicts, clearly isn't the point and isn't likely to change their behaviour very much."

Not that it makes any difference.

But

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/742430.stm

Jews and Arabs are 'genetic brothers'

They may have their differences but Jews and Arabs share a common genetic heritage that stretches back thousands of years.

I've no doubt that the smaller minority of Jews of Sephardi ancestry will share genetic similarities with Arabs. But:

(1) Do the vast majority of fair-skinned, large-nosed (and I'm not being offensive here) ashkenazi jews from Eastern Europe share these same genetic similarities with the Arabs? Let me know.

and (2) do these genetic similarities this give israel the right to expel Palestinians from their land, upon which they've been living for several hundreds years, to make way for some jewish immigrants from Poland?

I doubt it.

Palestine has in fact never existed as a country, so no part of Israel could be 'given back' to the ex-Jordanians or ex-Ottomans whose predecessors might or might not have actually lived there if their only claim is that they are supposedly 'Palestinian'.

---------- Post added 25-11-2013 at 17:37 ----------

countries that define themselves by religion - 'this is a christian/jewish/hindu/buddhist/whatever country' make me sick.

Israel is certainly not a Jewish country, although many of its population are Jews.

I've no doubt that the smaller minority of Jews of Sephardi ancestry will share genetic similarities with Arabs. But:

(1) Do the vast majority of fair-skinned, large-nosed (and I'm not being offensive here) ashkenazi jews from Eastern Europe share these same genetic similarities with the Arabs? Let me know.

and (2) do these genetic similarities this give israel the right to expel Palestinians from their land, upon which they've been living for several hundreds years, to make way for some jewish immigrants from Poland?

I doubt it.

You do understand that if an Arab and a European produce a child, the child could well have physical characteristics that make it look European, whilst still having genetic markers that point to an Arab ancestry.

Throughout human history land as changed hands through mutual consent, war and theft, that particular piece of land as changed hands many times, some of the people you refer to has Palestinians moved off the land through mutual consent, some left when the surrounding Arab countries started a war, some were kicked off, and some still live there, but the vast majority of Palestinians have no historical ties to the land.

Palestine has in fact never existed as a country, so no part of Israel could be 'given back' to the ex-Jordanians or ex-Ottomans whose predecessors might or might not have actually lived there if their only claim is that they are supposedly 'Palestinian'.

Regardless of which label you choose to identify the land where those people have been living for several centuries, it doesn't give some jews from Eastern Europe the right to move in and expel the Palestinians based on the modern israeli fantasy that their ancestors lived there 3000 years ago.

Archived