Migrant workers needed to avoid NHS crisis.

... Let's also not forget that demands for nursing staff are variable, foreigners can be quickly found in areas of speciality and deployed in geographical areas of need, once they're no longer required they return home, homegrown staff aren't as portable....or disposable.
Do they? I don't know any immigrants that've returned home except for the occasional trip to see their aged parents. Most immigrants from the Commonwealth used to intend to return when they retired, but in practice few do. They put down roots, acquire families, property, pets etc. It makes it hard to give it all up to go back to an uncertain future in their 'homeland'.

I think if the country went back to the old system of 'on the job' training for nurses, and the two tier SRN and SEN we could get them into service a lot quicker than via a degree path. Opines?

Do they? I don't know any immigrants that've returned home except for the occasional trip to see their aged parents. Most immigrants from the Commonwealth used to intend to return when they retired, but in practice few do. They put down roots, acquire families, property, pets etc. It makes it hard to give it all up to go back to an uncertain future in their 'homeland'.

I think if the country went back to the old system of 'on the job' training for nurses, and the two tier SRN and SEN we could get them into service a lot quicker than via a degree path. Opines?

Due to the nature of the contracts that non EU nurses in the NHS are given there is a much lesser incentive to put down roots etc as you describe, a lot might stay but a significant number do return to their countries of origin.

If you are successful in your registration you will be given permission to enter the UK for a maximum of 18 months then you will be expected to leave once this period is over.

http://www.immigrationconsult.co.uk/midwiferyvisa.php

---------- Post added 24-11-2013 at 16:04 ----------

It still costs big money though-new nursing schools, lecturers, technicians, accommodation etc.

There was a thread elsewhere about nurses having to pay to park their car at Jessops Hospital at £7 a day. One poster an experienced sister of 15 years experience said her income was in the region of £34k pa. A successful graduate in media studies probably hopes to earn a lot more than that after 15 years for a lot easier work.

You sure? If that's the case why all the whinging about student loans?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coalitioncuts-blamedfor-shortageof-20000nhs-nurses-8933661.html

It's not because of foreigners coming in and needing extra nurses,it's because the coalition have cut into the flesh of the staff and they need the nurses to bring levels back to what they were.

While official figures say that just 3,859 full-time nurse, midwife and health visitor posts have been lost since the Coalition came to power in May 2010, the RCN said that thousands more nursing vacancies have been created because hospitals have not been replacing staff that have retired or moved on due to reduced budgets.

I don't doubt cuts have played their part and now we're reaching a seasonal peak over winter, but it's also true that if you increase your population, you need more public sector workers to provide services to those people, including nurses.

I don't doubt cuts have played their part and now we're reaching a seasonal peak over winter, but it's also true that if you increase your population, you need more public sector workers to provide services to those people, including nurses.

So why do the coalition cut funding when they know that the population is increasing,it's almost like they want to try to create a situation where they can say that migrants are placing a strain on hospitals.............oh,hang on a minute!!

But it would still take 2 or three years to train a nurse as it does now (3 years for BSc and 2 years for post grad diploma).

Have to agree that 'on the job training' is the way to go.

So why do the coalition cut funding when they know that the population is increasing,it's almost like they want to try to create a situation where they can say that migrants are placing a strain on hospitals.............oh,hang on a minute!!

The Coalition haven't cut funding, they've slowed down it's increase.

Now have a look at the age distribution in the total population to get an idea of who the heaviest users of NHS and social services are.

The elderly are the heaviest users of the NHS and we have an ever increasing elderly population due to the success of the NHS.

Immigrants account for a much smaller group.

---------- Post added 24-11-2013 at 18:57 ----------

The irony is we need foreign nurses because of all the extra foreigners coming into the country and using the NHS.

But that doesn't excuse the fact that if we're failing as a country to produce enough quality nurses, that is entirely our fault as a county; it the fault of a poor education system, and poor policies at governmental level.

What is a 'quality nurse' ?

Archived