Regent Court Flats

Gerty89

Allen-thats the one it was built in the late 1700s it was part of a water mill and market garden set up way back in those days.There used to be another cottage nearby demolished around the early 1900s.Old Tup:thumbsup:

Allen-thats the one it was built in the late 1700s it was part of a water mill and market garden set up way back in those days.There used to be another cottage nearby demolished around the early 1900s.Old Tup:thumbsup:

For anyone who has an interest in Regent Court Flats you MUST read 'Our Hidden Lives' by Simon Garfield.

http://www.simongarfield.com/pages/books/our_hidden_lives.htm

This book is about 5 'ordinary' peoples lives who lived in the UK after WW2. One of these people is called Edie Rutherford and she lived in these flats. I read this book a few months ago and absolutely loved it. She writes about the VE celebrations, shopping, working, crowds going to see SWFC play football, holidays, Xmas, rationing etc, etc, etc.

One of the other diarists is from Sheffield as well and lived near Graves Park. He writes about similar things.

I remember as kids we used to mess about in the lift up and down running round the landings having a whale of a time until the caretaker caught you and gave you a clip round the ear!:hihi::D
I find that funny old tup.....

Us kids that lived on the flats spent our time behind your place.....grass sliding on cardboard boxes on the slopes above the railway tracks, placing pennies on the line to see who's was flattened most.

Games within the flats was often cricket or football...often with parents joining in. Dad's against us....unheard of today.

Yes we did at times get up to mischief.

A piece of string or cotton from a few levels above tied to a door knocker was a favourite.

Annoyed the resident....but usually Dad found out and I paid the penalty.

Yes..I remember Carol Bishop she was a childhood friend ,so sorry to hear of her passing.Neil was a toddler then.

Oh how time flies, this site is bringing so many good memories back.

was there a sister called janet bishop who had black hair (who me and my mates used to fancy like mad) or am I getting mixed up with carol?

I remember as kids we used to mess about in the lift up and down running round the landings having a whale of a time until the caretaker caught you and gave you a clip round the ear!:hihi::D

I was living on holme lane at the time ,we used to do the same thing ,plus flying paper planes off the top floor:roll: