The New Moor Market

barnsley is a good market

---------- Post added 04-12-2013 at 20:09 ----------

I was in there when it happened, think it was yesterday, the look on his face was something to behold :hihi:

He was on the mobile to someone presumably the cabinet company giving them an earful, he said he did not want to touch the other units if they come down as well, he was just saying thank god there were no kids or babies under the cabinet as am sure the insurance would have had a field day with him :suspect:

The information point put a quick call out over the tannoy requesting all cleaners come immediately so it looks like the issue got dealt with efficiently which is good, it was quite amusing seeing all these people appear with sweeping brushes :hihi:

my wife was in the market when the announcement was made

---------- Post added 04-12-2013 at 20:11 ----------

but didnt the announcement say all cleaners to the whereever it was and btw you need brushes

Barnsley and Doncaster have both indoor and outdoor markets - Barnsley outdoor is Wed Fri and Sat Doncaster Tues Fri and Sat probably more traditional markets - but I like that

And bigger, even though they're both towns, each of them have a bigger market than the brand new flagship market of a large city.

Drove past the new market today, it's a bit small isn't it !

Given it's size why didn't they build it on the land between Park Square and Dixon Lane, and keep it in the "traditional" area ? (quoting cuttsie there)

Just seems daft sticking it down the Moor. There's absolutely no point venturing down that area of town now, unless you have to catch a bus there.

Another nail in the city centre's coffin for me.

Drove past the new market today, it's a bit small isn't it !

Given it's size why didn't they build it on the land between Park Square and Dixon Lane, and keep it in the "traditional" area ? (quoting cuttsie there)

Just seems daft sticking it down the Moor. There's absolutely no point venturing down that area of town now, unless you have to catch a bus there.

Another nail in the city centre's coffin for me.

Why? They moved it to the end of the city where shopping takes place. Castlegate is dead. Its not a viable retail area any more. Over the next few months/year the rest of the stores will follow to the opposite side of town. The hub of the city retail will be centred around Fargate, Pinstone Street and the Moor. The new shopping/leisure developments are going to be built in the streets linking those said areas.

If there is genuine belief that markets are supposed to be integrated into a shopping hub as they are in every other city - why on earth would they leave it around Castlegate or even worse on a piece of land off park sq just in the middle of nowhere.

All this talk about sacred trading sites and traditions is just nonesense. Cities evolve.

The purpose of Castlegate/Snig Hill/Dixon Lane is changing. Time to get with the times.

Edited by ECCOnoob

All this talk about sacred trading sites and traditions is just nonesense. Cities evolve.

The purpose of Castlegate/Snig Hill/Dixon Lane is changing. Time to get with the times.

I think you've missed most of my previous posts on this. :hihi:

I've been fully in support of demolishing the market to open up the castle ruins, and see that area regenerated. I'm also fully versed in how trading centres evolve and shift, but it still seems a little strange sticking it down the Moor to me, it's hardly serviced as well as Castlegate was for public transport, there must be 300 buses a minute roar down there competing for fares, and i could easily walk to a bus stop that would see me dropped right by the doors, as could all the 51 route nutters, but where's the convenience here ? and isn't that what markets are supposed to be about ? cheap and cheerful but wholesome produce/wares for the masses ? and dead easy to get to.

Seems it's not only a market shift, but an attempt at a "market shift".