The New Moor Market

Just say which bus numbers you are talking about or which areas. Mine was a genuine question. When I used the market and came from a different area of town the bus didnt pass by, but I walked or caught another bus.

Most Market buses terminated at Bridge Street no need to pass by .that is where they stopped. As all would know who used the traditional market .

That is also where the canteen was for drivers conductors and any others who happened to use the Markets.

Get facts right !still waiting to hear when Wilco's are moving into the old Woolworths shop on the Moor as you keep stating.

Come on lets hear the proper info .

Most Market buses terminated at Bridge Street no need to pass by .that is where they stopped. As all would know who used the traditional market .

That is also where the canteen was for drivers conductors and any others who happened to use the Markets.

All very loveley and nostalgic but that was all 25+ years ago.

Times change and things move on.

I can't confirm that, we bank at Haymarket and received notification a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe you're correct and they're closing both, we were told our acc. is being moved to Fargate.

Re Yorkshire Bank:

I wouldn't read too much into their closure plans. The whole branch network is restructuring with 28 branches closing and being consolidated into larger "flagship" branches. Bank branches are not used as much now, and this type of consolidation has been going on for some time; Barclays closed all their City Centre branches a few years ago and moved everything to the new branch near Barkers Pool. Yorkshire Bank are closing their Canary Wharf branch in London so clearly it's not just a case of looking at footfall in the area.

I would not be surprised if Yorkshire are closing both city centre branches and consolidating everything to Fargate, but they don't seem to have published a list of the branches which are closing.

Edit: Their union says both branches (Haymarket and the Moor) are closing.

Edited by Andy

Buses don't really stop near the new market.

Either charter row or Fitzwilliam gate when coming from north or east. That is not what I call in your face.

Ironically all the bus stops on eyre street are one whole block north from the market when coming from the south.

If you want to sell something you have to put it right in front of the nose of the customer so they cannot avoid it when getting in or out. Like a supermarket that always has the sales right in front of you, unavoidable to not see it, when you get in.

Castle market was right in your face for travellers, you couldn't ignore its existence.

Buses don't really stop near the new market.

Either charter row or Fitzwilliam gate when coming from north or east. That is not what I call in your face.

Ironically all the bus stops on eyre street are one whole block north from the market when coming from the south.

If you want to sell something you have to put it right in front of the nose of the customer so they cannot avoid it when getting in or out. Like a supermarket that always has the sales right in front of you, unavoidable to not see it, when you get in.

Castle market was right in your face for travellers, you couldn't ignore its existence.

Perhaps they should move the main bus terminus up to Earl Street and force all passengers to pass through the market on their way into town. That would increase footfall.

I think today is a day for forgetting about public transport and taking the car to the underground FREE car park at Sainsbury's and keeping dry by using the escalator.

If you want to sell a market it has to right in front of people when they get of the bus so they see it. Or at least a BIG sign with an arrow pointing towards the market saying THIS WAY!

If the market, or at least an annoying sign pulling attraction is not right in the nose of these travellers they go right by it all the time without even noticing they just passed the market.

I have passed that new market many times by bus without even noticing I passed a market.

I never passed castle market without seeing, noticing it.

If you want to sell a market it has to right in front of people when they get of the bus so they see it. Or at least a BIG sign with an arrow pointing towards the market saying THIS WAY!

If the market, or at least an annoying sign pulling attraction is not right in the nose of these travellers they go right by it all the time without even noticing they just passed the market.

I have passed that new market many times by bus without even noticing I passed a market.

I never passed castle market without seeing, noticing it.

You do have a point. It is pretty difficult to miss Bakewell Market or Chesterfield Market because you can't avoid them.

I don't really know what is the idea behind Sheffield Market. Bakewell Market is a market. It has stalls that change around from week to week. You can even buy a sheep if you want one. Waitrose is a supermarket. It has a nice warm building with everything under one roof and usually a car park alongside. It has the convenience of paying for your entire shop with a swipe of your card.

Sheffield Market looks like an attempt to shove a market inside a supermarket building, but leaving out the best bits of both. So you don't get a car park. You don't get the full range of goods. You don't get the quality guarantee of dealing with a national brand, you don't even get the economy of outdoor stalls. But you do get the inconvenience of having to pay for each purchase at a different till. It seems there is a lot of wasted space. I really don't get it.

It is a bit like a patio heater. You can't heat your entire garden. If it is too cold to sit out, take your wine inside.

Edited by foxy lady