The New Moor Market

I've only been in there a couple of times and notice there wasn't much of anything apart from food outlets, the area for takeaways etc is far to big and why a market needs so many of them is beyond me.

Can't disagree with you there, they should have been more spread out, and three or four would have sufficed.

It may get better once they open the cinema, and the new primark. Worst thing they did was get rid of the Moorfoot tavern.

Its too posh for a market, but not posh enough to be much else. The moor ought to do a giftcard, or have an app that would give discounts at the shops, including market stalls.

Who got rid of the Moorfoot Tavern?

We went in on Thursday, and the best thing we got was the help desk to scan out token for Eyre St parking, which meant we got our parking for £1.50. Its a total sham, and we certainly wont be going there again. Same old shops selling £1 shop goods for £1.20.

SCC have really messed this up.

And so what are your thoughts on who is paying for the new Market:confused:

I wonder how much rent the existing stall owners have to pay? I suppose this would not be enough to contribute for the cost of it.

Does the council own the market are was it contracted out to someone?

We went in on Thursday, and the best thing we got was the help desk to scan out token for Eyre St parking, which meant we got our parking for £1.50. Its a total sham, and we certainly wont be going there again. Same old shops selling £1 shop goods for £1.20.

SCC have really messed this up.

:huh: Does the council have stalls selling stuff in the market?

Some stalls do well, some don't.

Some stalls have queues of people buying cheap crap, some have stalls full of expensive stuff nobody buys.

Personally speaking I go to the market to buy stuff I can't get elsewhere. Octopus, cuttlefish, baby aubergines, rare beers. These are all niche items, but that's the only reason I go there.

:huh: Does the council have stalls selling stuff in the market?

Some stalls do well, some don't.

Some stalls have queues of people buying cheap crap, some have stalls full of expensive stuff nobody buys.

Personally speaking I go to the market to buy stuff I can't get elsewhere. Octopus, cuttlefish, baby aubergines, rare beers. These are all niche items, but that's the only reason I go there.

No, of course they don't have a stall selling stuff. That would be silly. But they have got this;

http://sheffieldmarkets.com/markets/moor-market

The buck stays with SCC, and if they aren't offering a reasonable package to proposed stall holders then the future will be bleak. Just because it cost 18 squillion pounds to build doesn't mean it will be a success. Lets just hope the 30 odd empty stalls are filled and the surrounding area improves to entice people to make the effort.

Edited by slope
spelling, oops.

Who got rid of the Moorfoot Tavern?

The landlords and the people who didn't drink there, being realistic a pub set away from the main stretches of West Street and Division Street in the shadow of a giant office complex is always going to be on borrowed time. The location probably made sense when the Moorfoot Building was full of central government types who liked liquid lunches but now forget it the modern office is full of people who expect work after lunch :help: