The New Moor Market

Good idea.

What's wrong with showcasing new stalls and new product lines.

Is that any different to when a new shop opens up and sends people out around nearby streets to show off their products??

---------- Post added 03-02-2016 at 13:24 ----------

The sad thing is that you can. I think everyone knew that locating the market at the bottom of the Moor was an appalling planning decision. Everyone that is other than SCC and few pom-pom wielding SCC shills on here.

I know fancy moving the Markets to where the main shopping areas will be developed.

I mean... :loopy:

OF COURSE, it should have remained in a decaying building at the wrong end of the city surrounded by offices and hotels.

Edited by ECCOnoob

You couldn't make this stuff up! :roll:

Market traders in Sheffield will be setting up new stalls on Fargate in the city centre to showcase what the Moor Market has to offer.

They did that last year. Traders from the market set up stalls outside the Town Hall, but it didn't persuade me to leg it the half mile to the market, returning carrying bags of stuff I could have got from Waitrose.

They did that last year. Traders from the market set up stalls outside the Town Hall, but it didn't persuade me to leg it the half mile to the market, returning carrying bags of stuff I could have got from Waitrose.

Well said.

This is a huge part of the problem. All this finger pointing about location and council incompetence and lack of transport is piffle compared to the real issue.

People don't shop like they did 40 years ago. More competition selling market products at market prices has been developing far quicker than anyone thought. The TRADERS need to up their game. Stop peddlin the same old crap and move with the times.

Use it or lose it. Either way I could not care less. People just need to stop burying their head in the sand about what is happening.

Well said.

This is a huge part of the problem. All this finger pointing about location and council incompetence and lack of transport is piffle compared to the real issue.

People don't shop like they did 40 years ago. More competition selling market products at market prices has been developing far quicker than anyone thought. The TRADERS need to up their game. Stop peddlin the same old crap and move with the times.

Use it or lose it. Either way I could not care less. People just need to stop burying their head in the sand about what is happening.

All of that is true. But its still in the wrong location.

Good idea.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it and full credit to them for having a go, but it's a symptom of the problem that markets have had their day and the council seem to have dropped a clanger by trying to build a new one and then put it on life support. We should have just said goodbye to the indoor market when Castle Market finally died.

So markets have had their day? Try telling that to the traders at Borough Market -

I know Borough Market and you just went and picked the best market in the whole country as the exception that proves the rule. If Sheffield had 15 times more people living here with more billionaires than anywhere else in the world, we might be able to manage a market with a charcuterie section too. :)

Good idea.

Is that any different to when a new shop opens up and sends people out around nearby streets to show off their products??

---------- Post added 03-02-2016 at 13:24 ----------

I know fancy moving the Markets to where the main shopping areas will be developed.

I mean... :loopy:

OF COURSE, it should have remained in a decaying building at the wrong end of the city surrounded by offices and hotels.

what are these main shopping areas on the moor ?

what are these main shopping areas on the moor ?

Errrm, will apart from The Moor itself. Read the words I put in my post.

"will be developed"

Its not necessarily all about the present. The whole point of the new market was just one of many phases of a development which will move the main shopping areas away from Haymarket and more towards the moor and its surrounding streets.

Its been well publicised.

Its completely obvious what is happening to the old market area. Come next year Primark will have gone and I suspect more will follow as footfall decreases. Half of haymarket is already on its last legs and the rest are sure to follow.