The New Moor Market

I used the freebie bus service quite a bit, (even though I'm not a pensioner or disabled) and very useful it was too!

I'd be sad to see Castle Square go as a shopping area. I thought the TJ Hughes in that massive building on 4 floors was excellent. The new one down the Moor just doesn't have space for all the bargains they used to have. Wilkos is another fabulous shop, and it feels out on a limb now the old market has gone. Perhaps they ought to have a big one in the middle of the centre so it doesn't feel like a trek to get down there. Loved Spoils too, had all sorts of useful kitchenware.

I doubt Wilkos would move out of Castle Square unless they were forced to.

The town centre Wilkos is big and cheap because they got a very deal on the rent (somebody on this forum said as much) so I doubt Wilkos would move to a more expensive location in the city centre 'cos it would mean a smaller store and higher prices - just like the TJ Hughes store you mentioned.

Have you seen the Wilkos at Meadowhall? I doubt that rent is cheap for such a relatively small store, and they don't stock the same bargain items that the Castle Square store has.

Wilko at castle often sells brand name items half price, frequently.

Like joker said their stock is far better than at meadowhall.

The london road wilko has closed now.

They close them big stores down there but dont connect new development with tram and the bus journey is awkward and long to just get from castle gate to bottom of moor.

I always used the old market. I never use the new one. Some of the prices of the new market are same or worse than a standard supermarket now.

There's still the (little advertised - I guess they hope it can be killed off citing lack of use) 50p 'Centro Fare' on First (I was recently charged 60p on Stagecoach).

My attempts to establish the precise boundaries of this 'Centro' zone have drawn a blank but it's certainly valid between the Waingate/Haymarket/Snig Hill stops and Moorfoot. Not free - but still pretty good value at 50 (or even 60) pence.

There's still the (little advertised - I guess they hope it can be killed off citing lack of use) 50p 'Centro Fare' on First (I was recently charged 60p on Stagecoach).

My attempts to establish the precise boundaries of this 'Centro' zone have drawn a blank but it's certainly valid between the Waingate/Haymarket/Snig Hill stops and Moorfoot. Not free - but still pretty good value at 50 (or even 60) pence.

Been going for years, just like you said not very well advertised. The FreeBee bus was only ever full of pensioners the majority of the time anyway, so makes sense to have these use the existing services as it's still free to travel.

The only gripe I have with the council, is that in their conquest to kill the proper end of town, they have failed to extend the tram and improve the bus network to accommodate the move from Castlegate to Moorfoot. It's also sad to see the state of Castlegate at the moment - so depressing and needs some serious TLC.

Hopefully the new developments around the former Primark building and Castle House/Co-Op will kickstart the regeneration. From looking at it, we might be waiting another decade until the former Court and Castle Markets areas even start to be developed/excavated though! :hihi::hihi:

The only gripe I have with the council, is that in their conquest to kill the proper end of town, they have failed to extend the tram and improve the bus network to accommodate the move from Castlegate to Moorfoot. It's also sad to see the state of Castlegate at the moment - so depressing and needs some serious TLC.

The Council don't control the tram or bus network. Both are the responsibility of SYPTE.

Guest makapaka
That is a bit disingenuous.

SYPTE is responsible to the Combined Authority Transport Committee which is made up of elected Councillors.

It’s not disingenuous at all - the insinuation is that sheffield city council run the SYPTE which they don’t.

So planner1 is right and you for someone reason are trying to deflect blame on SCC - why are you doing that?

That is a bit disingenuous.

SYPTE is responsible to the Combined Authority Transport Committee which is made up of elected Councillors.

No it isn't.

The committee comprises elected Councillors of all the member authorities, not just Sheffield.

SYPTE are a completely separate organisation from Sheffield Council.