The New Moor Market

The difference is that Sheffield Council need the stall holders to pay for the 16 million loan plus the 50 odd million interest.

Don Valley all over again and the winners are the Money lenders.

But that doesn't help with basic economics. The average cost of retail space in the UK is £26/sq foot per year. That is the cost that a store like Sainsbury uses when checking viability of a new store.

A food retailer would average around £9.50/sq foot/week in sales from the above store. That's £494/sq foot per year. So a 300 square foot of supermarket the size of a market stall would expect to turn over £148200 p.a

The cost to the retailer would be £7800 for the space.

As the market traders seem to be paying far more than a major supermarket and are unlikely to generate anywhere near the amount of sales I wonder how they expect to compete in the modern age, particularly as they require more staff per sale and have far less buying power to get wholesale prices down.

People should go to the market for the shopping not because there is a free bus.

Its up to the traders to attract business.

people have been waiting years for a new market and now its here they need convincing?

This town is so backwards sometimes

That's fine if you want to shop there. I won't be joining you. I checked it out and it offers nothing that compensates for the expense of getting there.

So it was interesting to take a look, but I didn't buy anything when I looked and probably won't be rushing back.

But that doesn't help with basic economics. The average cost of retail space in the UK is £26/sq foot per year. That is the cost that a store like Sainsbury uses when checking viability of a new store.

A food retailer would average around £9.50/sq foot/week in sales from the above store. That's £494/sq foot per year. So a 300 square foot of supermarket the size of a market stall would expect to turn over £148200 p.a

The cost to the retailer would be £7800 for the space.

As the market traders seem to be paying far more than a major supermarket and are unlikely to generate anywhere near the amount of sales I wonder how they expect to compete in the modern age, particularly as they require more staff per sale and have far less buying power to get wholesale prices down.

Basic economics seem to have been the last thing on the Market management teams mind when they decided [without consulting the customers] to move to this silly location.

Basic economics seem to have been the last thing on the Market management teams mind when they decided [without consulting the customers] to move to this silly location.

Anything is better than that old poop hole.

Ive just been down The Moor today & its thriving.

Edited by Clown Shoes

Anything is better than that old poop hole.

Ive just been down The Moor today & its thriving.

How do you know that it is thriving? Being busy and making a living are not the same thing, as many a pub landlord will testify.

In 3 weeks we wont have too :(

The Freebee Won't be a big loss, plenty of commercial buses will take you from one end of the City Centre to the other.

From High Street near Castle Square tram stop to Moorfoot there are buses 75,76,79,79A,87,97,98

From Arundel Gate O2 Academy to Moorfoot there are buses 20,20A,25,25A,43,43A,44

From Moorfoot to Sheffield Interchange there are buses 4,43,43A,44,47,48,65,79,79A,218,272

If you don't already hold an all day ticket, weekly ticket or other pass the fare within the City Centre is only 50p

There are more important things to spend taxpayers money on than subsidising a free bus to take away custom from other buses. If the market traders want it so much perhaps they could pay for it?

There are more important things to spend taxpayers money on than subsidising a free bus to take away custom from other buses. If the market traders want it so much perhaps they could pay for it?

Indeed they can. They could as an alternative decide that trading from the new market hall isn't worth the hassle and pack up after their free rent period and trade elsewhere. It seems from reports on this thread that several have already decided to do just that.

Its posts like this that is the real answer as to why this city is being left miles behind places like Leeds.

A large majority of Sheffield residents love the dark days of old. The glory days of 30 years ago. It not like dragging the city kicking & screaming into the future but like dragging a corpse.

A shiny new £7m building and everyone misses the old rat infested chav hangout that was castle market.

Should be ashamed.

Yeah, plus any local radio interview is suspect, as their guys are so skilled in stirring up controversy for the sake of it.....

Imagine if there was no free bus.

In 3 weeks we wont have too :(

Why does everyone in this country have a sense of 'entitlement'

Why should the buses be free? If its free then its a luxury. If it gets cancelled then its a shame.

Ive traveled the world and in 99.9% of the countries ive been to. Nothing is free.

My reply was to "No User Name" who implied we did have a free bus!

Everytime I've been to Manchester in the last 8 years I've used their Free service!

Manchester city centre Metroshuttle

Metroshuttles are free buses linking the main rail stations, car parks, shopping areas and businesses in Manchester city centre. Metroshuttle buses run from Piccadilly, Salford Central, Victoria, Oxford Road and Deansgate rail stations. There are three circular routes covering the main areas in the city centre.

My reply was to "No User Name" who implied we did have a free bus!

Everytime I've been to Manchester in the last 8 years I've used their Free service!

Manchester city centre Metroshuttle

Metroshuttles are free buses linking the main rail stations, car parks, shopping areas and businesses in Manchester city centre. Metroshuttle buses run from Piccadilly, Salford Central, Victoria, Oxford Road and Deansgate rail stations. There are three circular routes covering the main areas in the city centre.

We do currently have a free bus, it is being withdrawn at the end of this month. http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/timetables/sheffield/1129.htm