The New Moor Market

I know that a decent unit will cost £10,000 all in.

Thats considerably cheaper than any shop unit in the city centre.

http://www.movehut.co.uk/property/143002-prince-of-wales-road-sheffield/

Property Description

Description: DOUBLE SHOP FRONT AVAILABLE FOR LET

LEASE

Rateable Value £4900

REAR STORAGE ROOM

£100 PER WEEK RENT

Description

We are pleased to present this SPACIOUS double shop front.

Having a main shop front area and rear storage room. To the rear of the premises is a yard and on street parking for up to 6 vehicles.

Available on flexible lease terms and is available from end June 2013.

Situated on a busy shopping parade in a popular residential area of the city. With a few small businesses surrounding providing lots of passing trade. With excellent transport links to the surrounding areas, and within easy reach of the motorway network.

PROPERTY DESCRIPTION

Ground Floor

Shop Front

39 foot 4 inches x 22 foot 11 inches (12m x 7m)

Rear storage Room

14 foot 10 inches x 12 foot 5 inches (4.54m x 3.79m)

Bathroom

6 foot 9 inches x 5 foot 2 inches (2.07m x 1.58m)

In comparison a 400 square foot plot in the new market will cost you £32,000 p/a.

Edited by T 42

90% of pubs don't belong to a brewery and the landlords set their own prices. If they don't like the deal that they are offered in terms of rent they can always move to a different pub. Well unless they went belly up on the first one.

I agree though that if a market trader finds he isn't turning a profit after he has paid the high rent charged by the council he has the option of increasing prices in the hope the public will pay the extra or he can simply pull the plug and do something else. Pretty much like the landlord of a pub in fact.

---------- Post added 07-03-2014 at 16:59 ----------

Indeed it is a splendid building. If only the traders were selling that. But in the real world the sprouts that they are selling are pretty much like the ones they were selling before, and pretty much like the ones in Tesco. So if paying for the new building puts 10p on a bag of sprouts I doubt that they will sell them.

So there is the question. Am I going to drive 5 miles, pay to park just so I can buy my sprouts in a pretty new market when I could have nipped round to the supermarket, parked for free and bought my sprouts cheaper?

.... ermmmmmmm...NO! .

Presumably you didn't shop at the old market on the same basis.

If the new market attracts more custom then potentially they could choose to accept a narrower margin if they are selling higher volume.

In terms of food at the market a lot of the new custom is attracted not by price but quality - in some cases the meat and fish is better than what supermarkets offer.

One of them is in the city centre and the other is on the Manor or wherever prince of Wales Rd is? Are you saying they are equivalent or just that one is cheaper than another?

It is one of the options available to a trader in the Moor Market. You can pay a vast rent to the council for a tiny stall where your customers can't park, or you can rent one of the hundreds of shops around the city. The one I linked too is a good sized shop. It has customer parking and is in a busy area. It is also very cheap compared to the market.

If for example I were wanting to buy 20 bottles of beer I would rather park outside that shop than walk with carrier bags back to my car. But there again I would rather drive to Tesco and buy my 20 bottles there anyhow.

---------- Post added 08-03-2014 at 10:31 ----------

In terms of food at the market a lot of the new custom is attracted not by price but quality - in some cases the meat and fish is better than what supermarkets offer.

And in some cases it isn't!

It is one of the options available to a trader in the Moor Market. You can pay a vast rent to the council for a tiny stall where your customers can't park, or you can rent one of the hundreds of shops around the city. The one I linked too is a good sized shop. It has customer parking and is in a busy area. It is also very cheap compared to the market.

If for example I were wanting to buy 20 bottles of beer I would rather park outside that shop than walk with carrier bags back to my car. But there again I would rather drive to Tesco and buy my 20 bottles there anyhow.

I think the market place is quite different these days. People shopping locally/out of town will go to the supermarket for convenience so small shops are no longer thriving unless they are doing something special and unique.

In the City Centre however people will pop in on their lunch break or after work for individual bits and bobs, or because they are walking to/from the car park, bus stop or tram stop they are happy to nip in and out more than one shop. Therefore high quality small shops will potentially thrive in the City Centre - plus there is the added potential custom of people living in the modern City Centre apartments.

Such traders need to make the decision on what is right for their business - City Centre shop unit, suburban shop unit or market stall.

So you are pointing out a different site, but you wouldnt go there yourself. Nice one. Part of the point of the market is being a draw with all the other stalls due to its location. If it were such an obvious choice then people would move, clearly the traders think its best to go where theres free rent etc for the meantime to see if they cna make a go of it. Some people felt they could do better outside the market.

Theres plenty of stuff you can buy in the market of better quality than the supermarket. Your point about it not always being so would only really be relevant if the customer was buying everything. They cna of course just focus on buying products which are better quality of that is there preference.