The New Moor Market

Popped in for a coffee this afternoon and noticed Juicy Patties had gone.

They've moved to a new shop (not sure if it's open yet), so hopefully another market success story. They'll be in the old Pollards shop on Pinstone Street.

I noticed quite a few other stalls have gone too though. The tea stall has gone, TM Meats was closed again on Saturday. A fish monger has gone too.

I notice Crawshaws are now opening a shop opposite the new market. I wonder if they've decided that the competition inside was too much or whether they'll just get more footfall on The Moor itself rather than hidden away.

Whenever I've been in the market there's nobody at the Crawshaws stall.

I don't particularly like looking over a counter, so I've never bought anything there, but I could see myself using the new Crawshaws shop.

I believe Simmonites used to be in the Castle Market, but instead of relocating to the new market they decided to open a shop just up from Cole Brothers. I walk past most lunchtimes and they seem to be much busier than most of the meat and fish stalls in the new markets.

The only area of the new markets that regularly seems to be busy is the food seating area, that's normally fairly full whenever I've walked past.

I should be tempted by Beer Central, being a real ale lover, but their prices are too high for me, although I may yet buy the odd bottle for a special occasion.

Regards

Doom

Cheers Trigger, nice to think you care about me:)

---------- Post added 25-03-2014 at 08:47 ----------

Great news, the building is a ugly dirty eyesore. It won't be missed.

There is more Architectural design and detail [especially the interior ] in the Castle Market than there is in a thousand bland and uninteresting Nissan type buildings as the new Moorfoot Mall.

The Castle Market is also in the historical trading area of Sheffield and only a City who have a load of nut cases doing Town Planning would change that.

Whenever I've been in the market there's nobody at the Crawshaws stall.

I don't particularly like looking over a counter, so I've never bought anything there, but I could see myself using the new Crawshaws shop.

I believe Simmonites used to be in the Castle Market, but instead of relocating to the new market they decided to open a shop just up from Cole Brothers. I walk past most lunchtimes and they seem to be much busier than most of the meat and fish stalls in the new markets.

The only area of the new markets that regularly seems to be busy is the food seating area, that's normally fairly full whenever I've walked past.

I should be tempted by Beer Central, being a real ale lover, but their prices are too high for me, although I may yet buy the odd bottle for a special occasion.

Regards

Doom

I think you have hit the flaw in their business plan. Folks go to supermarkets and come out with dozens of bottles and cans. They do this because it is cheap and convenient.

Beer Central will only sell small quantities to folk prepared to walk around with them in a carry bag. If they shift 100 bottles per day I would be surprised. With the staggering rents for stalls and storage that could amount to a £1 mark up per bottle just to pay the council. So you are always going to have high prices. I wonder if when the rent free period is over they will join the band of market leavers who shift their business to a convenient unit somewhere where their customers can park outside.

I know I've suggested earlier that a suggestion box should be installed with people having the oppertunity to fill in a card before it is vetted and put in to the box. I've not bothered to actually go to the trouble of sending an email off to the market manager suggesting this but may be doing this in the near future and may also raise a few of the concerns mentioned on this thread. I do wonder though if anyone else is likely to do the same as that may well cause a rethink of market policy