The New Moor Market

I do agree with you Doom. I do like the Bradfield beers ie Farmers blonde, Brown cow etc.

The Moor shop had these on sale last week at £20 per 2.5 ltr keg. have been to the Bradfield brewery and for the same keg it was £15 each if you bought 2 and other tempting offers for bottles etc as well. Plus it was a nice drive out in the country as well. win, win or what?.

I'm kind of buzzing from the trip today. :hihi:

So I went to my favourite place Smith & Tissington and I did see the chicken, but they were not hot, I do not think. I didn't buy them in the end, as it looked a bit small. Maybe next time. I wonder if they are from Tissington or somewhere like that. If it is, then I would buy free range chicken. :) And yes, I can tell the difference when it is the case too.

I didn't get any hot pork in Wateralls, as the lady said that it is only certain time of the day. I did feel a little bit disappointed by that. I tried Sharon's too, and they already were closed.

I think in some ways, the remaining stores are getting better. The fruit and veg stall caught my eyes today with their great big mooli. Then I noticed that they really caught on as there is a section of unique salad boxes. This reminded me of London's Borough market. You could find all sorts of salad leaves there to put together a proper continental type salad. It really got me giddy. These are the type of salads that you can put together and ordered say in Cafe Rouge or Strada. To see those on the shelves got my heart bumping a bit faster. :hihi:

I did manage to get some pork pies, and sausage rolls from Wateralls. My God. I wish I discovered market's sausage rolls before. There is something about them which differs to Gregg's. I do not know what it is yet. Whether the fat is made from dripping or other, but it smelt GREAT. I got 2 for 1.30 or so ? I got some sausages as well. Going to try them later on.

I also managed to get some cheese. I think the guy got confused. He let me tried a small piece and I was so wow'd by it. It is very very smooth, and it is from Lancashire. It melt in the mouth. I wondered how come I have never tasted this kind of thing before. I was thinking that this could actually be put into a salad or other. He only had local cheeses, but I was really after a bit of edam. But I was just wondering whether people do not try this is because they may not know how to put together a meal from these ingredients. The cheese was unpasteurised as well. It really wow'd me.

I then went onto the other cheese place. I suddenly got an inspiration to go for some parmesan cheese for my favourite pasta dish. I felt lucky to have found them here in the local market. When the guy said that the parmesan only cost me 50p or so. I almost grabbed it and ran. I wonder if he knows that it is being charged quite expensively say in supermarkets. I did go to Carluccio today also to get the linguine to go with it. I once bought a piece from Carluccio in Windsor, and my mouth dropped at the pricing. I do think that it is fairly fresh and definitely imported. When I used it, I could tell.

To be honest, I finally figured out why the market is not catching on. It needs a bit of marketing and ooomph ! :)

It would be nice if there is a way to demonstrate recipes or ingredients that you get from the market to turn into recipes, or to show how much a shop can cost. Maybe this will bring back the customers, as long as they can see the potential of what to buy and how to cook it.

I would love to write a food blog based on this place if the ingredients are going to be more and more unique and can almost compare to that of say London's Borough market. It will bring people back into town. Because even some ingredients are not seen or found anywhere else. I can also see that my pears are from Spain. Considering Spain is now kind of going down economically, I dare say that their fruit business can be quite low in pricing. If I was a store holder, I would try and capitalise on that now. I got my box of pears from Spain today. Previously I also managed to get some Seville oranges too from Waitrose. So this is quite a reality now. Why doesn't someone bring in some parma ham ??? :hihi:

Depends when you go whether the chickens are hot or not I think, you must've gone late, they're freshly cooked, but they can't be kept warm or they'd be +vat. They are small, but I think there's an offer on two & they're not expensive. Same for Wateralls pork, it's warm when it's freshly cooked & brought out. If you want hot roast meat then a few of the cafes serve it.

The market lacks a few things, but overall they have a wider selection of fresh food at better prices than the supermarkets. Can always go in Sainsbury's or Iceland on the moor for the odd bottle of milk.

It's only 70p to park for an hour if you get your discount from the information desk in the market too.

It's not all about cheap food, it's better quality & variety too, you can get more unusual things in the market that you wouldn't find or would be very expensive in a supermarket, like quail, duck & goose eggs, live crab & lobster, fresh fish. Not sure if all the chickens are free range, you could ask, but at least they seem to have some flavour unlike the cheap supermarket standard chickens, most of the meat seems better quality than supermarkets. The Chinese & the Indian/West Indian stalls are good too. That cake stall is pretty amazing too, if you want to spend £2+ a slice.

Yee Kwan's ice cream is fantastic too, I'm looking forward to the weather picking up & them employing somebody to man the stall who seems to want to serve customers.

I even like looking at the odd junk stalls, like Ali's Bargain Buys, not sure I'd ever buy anything he sells, but those lenticular religious icons he had looked spectacular, I wonder if somebody bought those or if he's just hidden them.

It needs more people to go back to using it regularly so that more stalls don't close down & new businesses are attracted to fill the empty stalls.

Most of the fruit is from Spain or further away at this time of the year no matter where you go, oranges are normally Spanish, they don't grow well here in march.

They have temporary 'pop-up' stalls that can be rented by the day, they had a guy there selling Serrano ham (along with chorizo & other Spanish goodies), he even had full ones. I think there have been Italian stalls there too.

A food blog sounds like a great idea, they can do well if they're sharing some good recipes.

---------- Post added 27-03-2014 at 17:46 ----------

Had some durian ice cream from the market today. Definitely the strangest thing I've ever eaten. Not sure whether to recommend it or not.

Edited by anywebsite

I even like looking at the odd junk stalls, like Ali's Bargain Buys, not sure I'd ever buy anything he sells, but those lenticular religious icons he had looked spectacular, I wonder if somebody bought those or if he's just hidden them.

I've bought some of the Arabic-lettered plaques from Ali's stall, with things like the Shahada (the Islamic declaration of faith, "There is no God but God, and Muhammed is his prophet!" on it.

I never realised anybody worshipped lentils before ... it'd be a bit difficult trying to nail one to a cross! :huh:

Mind you ... I don't really keep my finger on the pulse so far as iconography is concerned. ;)

I've bought some of the Arabic-lettered plaques from Ali's stall, with things like the Shahada (the Islamic declaration of faith, "There is no God but God, and Muhammed is his prophet!" on it.

I've seen the Arabic plaques there too, but they didn't stand out as much as as the Christian icons. Mary & Jesus, depending on which angle you were stood at, really hideous things. I almost bought my gran one for Christmas just to confuse her.

I did find something even stranger in the market today though, durian ice cream, that's an experience.

I'm kind of buzzing from the trip today. :hihi:

So I went to my favourite place Smith & Tissington and I did see the chicken, but they were not hot, I do not think. I didn't buy them in the end, as it looked a bit small. Maybe next time. I wonder if they are from Tissington or somewhere like that. If it is, then I would buy free range chicken. :) And yes, I can tell the difference when it is the case too.

I didn't get any hot pork in Wateralls, as the lady said that it is only certain time of the day. I did feel a little bit disappointed by that. I tried Sharon's too, and they already were closed.

I think in some ways, the remaining stores are getting better. The fruit and veg stall caught my eyes today with their great big mooli. Then I noticed that they really caught on as there is a section of unique salad boxes. This reminded me of London's Borough market. You could find all sorts of salad leaves there to put together a proper continental type salad. It really got me giddy. These are the type of salads that you can put together and ordered say in Cafe Rouge or Strada. To see those on the shelves got my heart bumping a bit faster. :hihi:

I did manage to get some pork pies, and sausage rolls from Wateralls. My God. I wish I discovered market's sausage rolls before. There is something about them which differs to Gregg's. I do not know what it is yet. Whether the fat is made from dripping or other, but it smelt GREAT. I got 2 for 1.30 or so ? I got some sausages as well. Going to try them later on.

I also managed to get some cheese. I think the guy got confused. He let me tried a small piece and I was so wow'd by it. It is very very smooth, and it is from Lancashire. It melt in the mouth. I wondered how come I have never tasted this kind of thing before. I was thinking that this could actually be put into a salad or other. He only had local cheeses, but I was really after a bit of edam. But I was just wondering whether people do not try this is because they may not know how to put together a meal from these ingredients. The cheese was unpasteurised as well. It really wow'd me.

I then went onto the other cheese place. I suddenly got an inspiration to go for some parmesan cheese for my favourite pasta dish. I felt lucky to have found them here in the local market. When the guy said that the parmesan only cost me 50p or so. I almost grabbed it and ran. I wonder if he knows that it is being charged quite expensively say in supermarkets. I did go to Carluccio today also to get the linguine to go with it. I once bought a piece from Carluccio in Windsor, and my mouth dropped at the pricing. I do think that it is fairly fresh and definitely imported. When I used it, I could tell.

To be honest, I finally figured out why the market is not catching on. It needs a bit of marketing and ooomph ! :)

It would be nice if there is a way to demonstrate recipes or ingredients that you get from the market to turn into recipes, or to show how much a shop can cost. Maybe this will bring back the customers, as long as they can see the potential of what to buy and how to cook it.

I would love to write a food blog based on this place if the ingredients are going to be more and more unique and can almost compare to that of say London's Borough market. It will bring people back into town. Because even some ingredients are not seen or found anywhere else. I can also see that my pears are from Spain. Considering Spain is now kind of going down economically, I dare say that their fruit business can be quite low in pricing. If I was a store holder, I would try and capitalise on that now. I got my box of pears from Spain today. Previously I also managed to get some Seville oranges too from Waitrose. So this is quite a reality now. Why doesn't someone bring in some parma ham ??? :hihi:

You write beautifully - I definitely think you should do a food blog :)

I never realised anybody worshipped lentils before ... it'd be a bit difficult trying to nail one to a cross! :huh:

Mind you ... I don't really keep my finger on the pulse so far as iconography is concerned. ;)

Was this deliberate? Lentils are pulses, iconography is... well, what it is :hihi: