The New Moor Market

The council can't promise 100,000 people a week, maybe they had/created some false expectations. They can't round people up & force them to go.

Sheffield markets have been in decline for years, the only thing that can really change that is if the people of Sheffield start using the markets again & reverse the trend.

ofc they cant promise, it will be based on projections. Only a few know what the real business plan is. It is not unknown for journos, management and traders to be selective in the figures they use. the article itself is light on detail. ofc some businesses would fail just as some are doing ok.

Only the market management know that. I assume they must have done some research and analysis. Contact them and ask.

I think they speak a lot of rubbish though as the empty stalls will prove. I'm really shocked they didnt invest in a top notch website where each stall could have shown what they provided etc, especially considering the £ millions spent. Instead they choose a twitter feed whcih makes them look like amateurs imo.

Edited by 999tigger

Cyttsie I get the feeling you are relishing the opportunity to say I told you so.

It is early days yet. The money they were losing on Castle market was far greater than the money they are losing on the new market site. A business takes time to establish itself, see what its like in two years time.

Beedsers you were talking rubbish about the ice cream stall. Go and find out how the stalls were distributed before putting the blame on them.

Trigger how can the money being lost on the Castle Market be compared with the sixty million [or even more ] that will have to be paid back to the money lenders for a new building that by the looks of it will not last even half that time.

Enlighten me please.

---------- Post added 01-04-2014 at 19:02 ----------

Think youll find they were asked to select stalls that they would like and then went into a draw. Market management decided where their choice went. this would make more sense than your version because it has no way of reconciling where two people wnated the same spot. You also do not know what information market management was distributing at the time, especially in respect to the market being fully let etc. Part of the reason hat zone does so poorly is becayse its near all the vacant stalls.

What was wrong with the old Market layout with a different type of stall around every nook and cranny making the Castle Market an interesting shopping experience ,

We don't want a sterile uniform shopping mall that is not what Markets are about , Markets are about the unexpected bargain the unique cafe and most of all they are the centre of a Town or City's meeting place.

The Moor Mall is non of the above.

---------- Post added 01-04-2014 at 19:03 ----------

If it has any sense then it will move or leave the market and move into the cinema complex.

Neither you nor I know what money they are taking at the moment and what its costs are.

It would probably be making more moeny at the food hub or at the entrance.

So you are now saying that more stalls should move .