The New Moor Market

Ok, so I've just given it a go. The first review!

I had high hopes for the place, but I'm afraid I'm very disappointed. My main thoughts are:

- It's very small. I'm surprised it's only on one level. You can walk around it in about 5 minutes. I was kind of expecting it to be big, like one of the ones in Birmingham

- It's full of tat. 80% of it is mobile phone accessories, bad clothes and processed/packaged food

- It's already dirty. The floors were filthy and already look 10 years old

- There's a lot of empty units, especially down the south side of it

I went in looking for some lunch, some nice bread, cheese and maybe some interesting bits to take home for tea. But there was:

- Nowhere decent for lunch. There's one or two cafes and a kebab shop, but nothing mexican, oriental, continental, rare meats, bratwurst, streetfoody etc. I ended up having to go to Brunch n Lunch by Plug to find something appetising

- Only one place selling bread, and that was all cheap from-frozen; nothing interesting or in any sense artisan

- Nowhere selling cheeses at all

- Nothing resembling a deli

In terms of positives, I found a few things of interest:

- A craft beer place

- Somewhere selling duck eggs

- Some of the butchers looked quite decent, but then that's of no use to workers visiting in lunch breaks (I could imagine the looks if I turned up for the afternoon and put a leg of lamb in the fridge!)

Overall though I'm very disappointed and can't see myself returning

In the market or a random bloke selling them near Dempseys? If the new market is selling halal duck eggs > I'm in.

In the market or a random bloke selling them near Dempseys? If the new market is selling halal duck eggs > I'm in.

There's a new dedicated egg stall inside the market.

How on earth can you get halal eggs? Halal just means slaughtered by throat cutting, rather than gassing. I hope neither of those has happened to my eggs!

Never had you as a duck man Ramp :hihi:

You'd be surprised!! :hihi:

---------- Post added 25-11-2013 at 22:21 ----------

There's a new dedicated egg stall inside the market.

How on earth can you get halal eggs? Halal just means slaughtered by throat cutting, rather than gassing. I hope neither of those has happened to my eggs!

I've gone all Muslim and check my food now. You can have a halal duck egg > it's all about the timing of the duck murder!

Popped in to see the new market yesterday, was ok actually, not what I expected but was ok.

The eating area is a nightmare though, no more great breakfasts on a plate, instead we are now forced into an oasis type situation with the only options being served on plastic burger take away punnets. Brekkie is only in a breadcake, I prefer a plated breakfast ! :-(

Such a shame, we ended up at Rosies by staples instead which was rather gorgeous so that is my new town brekkie home !

Lots of options but sadly the days of sitting down and eating at CM have gone for me, bring back the plates !!!!!

there is also a cafe at the bottom of the moor next to the pet shop garden centre where you can get a full english on a plate reasonable price

just look for the freebee bus and it is about three or four doors up

atkinsons also do a full breakfast

Great to hear generally positive reviews, particularly pleased to hear about the new beer shop. Looking forward to trying it out next week. Does anyone know the best place to park? Am thinking cheap but not too far away. Don't really drive to town much and if I do I park at JL which is too far away really if buying a lot of stuff.

---------- Post added 26-11-2013 at 12:11 ----------

The market will need to start to make more effort to cater to higher income people as well as students with no money now.

I think having a beer shop which sells beer for over £3 a bottle is an example of them trying to encourage exactly this.

Does anyone know the best place to park? Am thinking cheap but not too far away. Don't really drive to town much and if I do I park at JL which is too far away really if buying a lot of stuff.

The kitkat multi-storey is right next door. If you get your parking ticket validated (at the customer service desk in the market I think) then the first hour costs just 70p.

I do think that having all those food outlets crammed together makes the workers more stressed, not enough space to do their job.

There should deffo be some sort of chip shop in there that will take 2 units space, fresh fish and chips not found in most high street chains.

---------- Post added 26-11-2013 at 12:53 ----------

There should also be some sort of Italian, Mexican or Chinese noodle place in there, too many sarni outlets.