The New Moor Market

It might just be enough people didnt want juicy patties during the day? Maybe he will have more luck with more passing trade in his new shop? Were / are any of you regulars?

Crawshaws isnt put to shame, they have a different strategy and I think with the new shop they are quite smart. I thought the new shop was pretty good and it gives them the option to leave if they need to. Bit far down the Moor but they have an energetic hawker. The cooked chickens etc are good balue imo.

Agree on your last point anywebsite that markets were in decline, generally, which has also been discussed extensively on this thread already. I'd like for it to succeed and thrive, but it will have growing pains. I think the market management has been poor in terms of planning, marketing and getting new tenants in.

• 4 weeks later...
Is pretty clear that there are a lot of moaners and people who seem excited if things goo poorly because they are stuck in the past. Things werent going too well in Castle market you know or Markets generally. They were losing £1m a year , it was getting worse and the building was falling down.

The parking was no better at Castle market so dont pretend otherwise. Parking at the Moor market is 50p an hour but you have to walk for 5 minutes.

If you want to go and shop at a supermarket then do so, but the market was never intended to be direct competition as its just independent individual traders who cannit offer the range of goods a supermarket can. These things are discussed in detail on the thread.

---------- Post added 02-04-2014 at 12:28 ----------

1. People have no idea, except SYTP of how many people used freebee or freebee for the market. Id be surprised if it was that many. If is a big word.

2. If you look earlier on the thread the Light cinema has been discussed at length. It isnt that cinema goers will go directly combine with going to the market bt it will bring more people down there generally. It will also revive that side of the Moor. Primark, although not a high end brand will attract a lot of people as it already does.

3. Will it have closed by 2016? Highly unlikely. Not all stalls are suffering as it is, some are doing ok and made good money over Christmas. The months after Christmas are always quieter.

4. The one thing they can control is the level of rents.

5. Showroom under threat? It will have an impact, but the Showroom is a great cinema and shows different films than a light cineam so they are after different audiences.

More impact will be on the Odeon. Light tends to show mainstream films plus events. Look at the website and you cna get an idea.

There is a large city centre population these days, so it will also impact cinemas out at centretainment with people choosing to walk to Light rather than trek out there. It might just get more people going to the cinema.

Just wondering where you get all your information from, I was a trader in the old Castle Market and did exceptionally well but chose not to go to the new market as the rents were doubled and as a relatively young person with vision could never see it taking off. Unfortunately for many of my friends who have gone down there this is proving to be the best decision I could have made. I have called in today and every stall holder I spoke to which was a lot, has said how bad the market is doing and if business carries on we will be lucky to have a market with 50% occupancy by Xmas. Footfall is down massively and some said they will be cutting staffs hours within the next few weeks and another 5 shops have handed their notice into quit within the next 3 months. The cafe area is looking bad nearly every other shop in the cafe area is now closed which looks shocking. A Friday in the old market was bustling with many different characters and loads of atmosphere in the new market stall holders look fed up and are stood around waiting for customers to come. I had to drive up to the area of the old market to get to the new one and it was still thriving with many people bustling about compared to the sparse few that were on the Moor. SCC have made a huge mistake moving the market down the Moor, I hope for the sake of many that SCC come up with something soon to ensure this new market takes off and becomes a great shopping experience for people of Sheffield as if it carries on the same way it is at the moment it will be another 60 million of our money wasted !!!

---------- Post added 25-04-2014 at 22:53 ----------

It looks as though the dirt is now hitting the fan according the headlines in todays Star newspaper.

Mick Cull the market traders chairman is bemoaning the fact that the predicted footfall is down from the promised 100,000 to less than 57,000 per week. Along with this traders are shutting up shop even though they are not as yet paying rent.

The old Castle Market got just as much footfall and just a couple of years ago the figure was 80,000 per week.

Well Mick we told you so! that is the regular customers at the old Castle Market did ,we all knew that to move away to the very edge of Town would be a disaster .

What the traders [who were for the move] management and planners seem to have overlooked is that the old Market customers were not once a week shoppers but used the Market most days , unlike the new shoppers who are occasional visitors.

On top of this the rate payers of Sheffield will now have to foot a sixty million plus repayment loan over the next sixty years and that is presuming that the new building lasts that long which looking at it seems doubtful .

We told you so.

Completely agree with everything you have wrote here I traded in the old market and did exceptionally well. I chose not to go to the new market as I was offered a rubbish position which I had not asked for and my rent was doubled. Most of my customers wanted the market near where it was and many used the tram which doesn't go to the new market hence they still shop where the old market was and go to shops around that area. Massive shame for the people of Sheffield that SCC has cocked up again.

Just wondering where you get all your information from, I was a trader in the old Castle Market and did exceptionally well but chose not to go to the new market as the rents were doubled and as a relatively young person with vision could never see it taking off. Unfortunately for many of my friends who have gone down there this is proving to be the best decision I could have made. I have called in today and every stall holder I spoke to which was a lot, has said how bad the market is doing and if business carries on we will be lucky to have a market with 50% occupancy by Xmas. Footfall is down massively and some said they will be cutting staffs hours within the next few weeks and another 5 shops have handed their notice into quit within the next 3 months. The cafe area is looking bad nearly every other shop in the cafe area is now closed which looks shocking. A Friday in the old market was bustling with many different characters and loads of atmosphere in the new market stall holders look fed up and are stood around waiting for customers to come. I had to drive up to the area of the old market to get to the new one and it was still thriving with many people bustling about compared to the sparse few that were on the Moor. SCC have made a huge mistake moving the market down the Moor, I hope for the sake of many that SCC come up with something soon to ensure this new market takes off and becomes a great shopping experience for people of Sheffield as if it carries on the same way it is at the moment it will be another 60 million of our money wasted !!!

Completely agree with everything you have wrote here I traded in the old market and did exceptionally well. I chose not to go to the new market as I was offered a rubbish position which I had not asked for and my rent was doubled. Most of my customers wanted the market near where it was and many used the tram which doesn't go to the new market hence they still shop where the old market was and go to shops around that area. Massive shame for the people of Sheffield that SCC has cocked up again.

And the outcome will be that the most historical part of Sheffield history the old Market and trading area will become a dead sterile wilderness with probably more empty office and student flat type buildings.

A City ruined by so called planners.

And the outcome will be that the most historical part of Sheffield history the old Market and trading area will become a dead sterile wilderness with probably more empty office and student flat type buildings.

A City ruined by so called planners.

Id just like to say my mum has been using the sheffield markets for years on end and i am disgusted that even though she still would like to go they on on about stopping the free bus down to to the moor, how is old people suppose to get there scc also on the trading things she use to to go to chip shop in corner or market which is one of the best has i have been once or twice but you can tell and they have taken a place elsewhere because of the charge etc of rent and have got a lovely place now and are still the same . My point probably is keep rents low and customers will follow

---------- Post added 26-04-2014 at 00:57 ----------

Sorry cutsie ment that has a general reply not to yours :)

Are you sure you went to the right place as I went to the market today and it was rammed and had to queue at every stall I went to same for the moor my mum commented and how she'd never seen it so busy.

Reading your post anyone would think you were Cuttsie with a different username but surely not ....again

Edited by damo

Are you sure you went to the right place as I went to the market today and it was rammed and had to queue at every stall I went to same for the moor my mum commented and how she'd never seen it so busy.

Reading your post anyone would think you were Cuttsie with a different username but surely not ....again

I agree I go in regularly and the food stalls are always busy, some people just don't want to let go of the old market which was a dump and outdated.

Yes was defo there I arrived at 10 and left at 12. Didn't queue at any shop and spent along time talking to stall holders as I know most of them from the old market, who all told me it was like that everyday and they were down between 40% and 50% everyday, and there expecting things to get worse as another 3 people are leaving and the cafe area is now only 60% full with nearly every other stall in that area bring empty. As I said on previous posts I hope it works for people I have a lot of friends down there but SCC have got it completely wrong again!!!!

Id just like to say my mum has been using the sheffield markets for years on end and i am disgusted that even though she still would like to go they on on about stopping the free bus down to to the moor, how is old people suppose to get there

Well old people can use their bus pass to travel for free on any bus in the city centre (and beyond) - so they $don't need the Freebie. There are dozens of buses which serve the Markets so for someone with a free travel pass they will probably be waiting less time for a bus than if they were using the Freebie. And even for people without a free travel pass, I would suspect the majority will have arrived in town by bus or tram, so will have a day/week/month ticket anyway.

On the parking point, how many would drive into town just to use the markets? Wouldn't most people combine a trip to the markets with other shopping or work? In which case you're not going to be near everything you want to visit anyway.$

I would like the markets to be a success. The market provides jobs for local people, and an opportunity to buy good value goods.

Reading all the negative posts on this thread, I would not be surprised if some people had been put off visiting the new market as some posters are suggesting it's a wasteland with most of the stalls closing down. I am surprised that people who claim to have been regular users of the old market would post things like this which are (i) untrue and (ii) likely to put people off visiting, therefore damaging the livelihood of the stall holders.

At the end of the day, like it or not, this move has happened and Castle Market is not coming back. If people do not support the new market, we will be left with no market at all. Then everyone, stall holders, council, market customers all lose out. If the market does fail it may partially be the council's fault, but it would also be the fault of some of the stall holders and so called regulars who seem to take delight in putting people off shopping there!

What is the market traders' association doing to promote the market? Every piece of publicity I've seen has originated from the council. Sometimes you need to help yourself too.

Edited by Andy