The New Moor Market

Andy this is true, but some things still need addressing, there are 2 bus routes that bring in 20% of the people to the city center, but neither stop near the market. The loss of the tram passengers was supposed to of been boosted by an extra 22 bus routes to the new market.

The traders have to work with what they've got, but they don't feel that the council are on their side.

Id just like to say my mum has been using the sheffield markets for years on end and i am disgusted that even though she still would like to go they on on about stopping the free bus down to to the moor, how is old people suppose to get there scc also on the trading things she use to to go to chip shop in corner or market which is one of the best has i have been once or twice but you can tell and they have taken a place elsewhere because of the charge etc of rent and have got a lovely place now and are still the same . My point probably is keep rents low and customers will follow

---------- Post added 26-04-2014 at 00:57 ----------

Sorry cutsie ment that has a general reply not to yours :)

Cheers tessa ,you are right about the chip oyle Bruce has moved it to Charles Street and it is doing well although not the same ambience as in the Castle Market.

Andy this is true, but some things still need addressing, there are 2 bus routes that bring in 20% of the people to the city center, but neither stop near the market. The loss of the tram passengers was supposed to of been boosted by an extra 22 bus routes to the new market.

The traders have to work with what they've got, but they don't feel that the council are on their side.

I can see there are problems.

However, my point is this: I am a regular visitor to Sheffield and have used the market. My parents use it every couple of weeks when they go into town for shopping.

However, if I had not used the market before, the comments on this thread would not really encourage me to go and try it. Rather than moaning about the loss of the Freebie bus and the distance from the tram, the market traders would be better having a publicity campaign to tell people which buses they can catch to the market from the various parts of the city (including the city centre stops where 2 routes you mentioned stop, and the tram stops).

The market is on the Moor, but the way some people are going on about transport problem one would think it was located on the opposite side of the moon.

---------- Post added 26-04-2014 at 08:37 ----------

Cheers tessa ,you are right about the chip oyle Bruce has moved it to Charles Street and it is doing well although not the same ambience as in the Castle Market.

I agree - it's much better. Well done Bruce for developing his business. I wish him every success.

What about the chippy? Is that opening soon? I noticed the kebab place has gone, cafe area is looking a bit empty now.

Tessa, all buses are free for pensioners & there are plenty of different routes. The stalls are still on free rents for a few weeks I think. Last I heard marketman here was behind the chippy & he was planning to open in the new market, but hasn't yet.

Edited by anywebsite

I agree I go in regularly and the food stalls are always busy, some people just don't want to let go of the old market which was a dump and outdated.

Completely agree it was a dump but I'm sure traders would agree and say they would rather be busy and have customers than a half empty market extortionate rents and less trade.

Does anyone know what is happening with the empty units, they still have shutters up.

Apparently they have a long list of applicants but they want to be choosy about who they let in and they are working there way through the list all the time losing money by having empty stalls way to go SCC.