The New Moor Market

Who is to say what type of businesses will prosper? I don't think I would want to set up a stall just because the council wanted me to sell their idea of what would sell.

In that respect it is like the marathon. The council choose their business partners, and it seems that they can't find enough of them prepared to sing from their hymn sheet.

Yes, and providing enough water is not rocket science :hihi:

Who is to say what type of businesses will prosper? I don't think I would want to set up a stall just because the council wanted me to sell their idea of what would sell.

That's the whole idea of having to submit a business plan. It only needs to show there is an audience for the product and that you've adequately budgeted to run that business. If the business can show that they will be successful, they should be allowed in. If a business can't be bothered to produce such a plan, I'd be very wary of letting them rent space from me.

None of it comes down to what the council think will prosper, just that they're not going to go bankrupt within two weeks owing taxpayers a load of money and that we don't end up with a market full of stuff that nobody is going to buy.

Yes, and providing enough water is not rocket science :hihi:

It is for an event which is being run by someone else.

Have only been in the new market once, but I saw an advert in the Gazette, I think it was, for a stall in there which described itself as Sheffield's Premium Headshop, selling bongs, etc. If this is the quality of stall that the council is letting in, what sort of thing are they turning away?

That's the whole idea of having to submit a business plan. It only needs to show there is an audience for the product and that you've adequately budgeted to run that business. If the business can show that they will be successful, they should be allowed in. If a business can't be bothered to produce such a plan, I'd be very wary of letting them rent space from me.

None of it comes down to what the council think will prosper, just that they're not going to go bankrupt within two weeks owing taxpayers a load of money and that we don't end up with a market full of stuff that nobody is going to buy.

Perhaps the ones who need help with their business plan are the council.

Here's one that probably won't work.

Spend many millions building a new market. Allow folks to have a rent free period but only accept tenants who have a business plan that is acceptable to council so market remains half full. Customers think market is a bit crap because of empty stalls and stop going. Council then starts charging massive rents which deter many of the prospective new stall holders and frighten off several of those already trading. Customers think it is even more crap and even less use it. Free bus stops running and even fewer customers turn up. Market closes down.

What's wrong with trying to weed out the stalls which have very little hope of succeeding?

Nobody would visit the market if every stall sold the same products. Every successful market has always had a wide range of products on sale. If nobody visits the market because there's no stalls they're interested in buying from, that's more than just the stallholders problem.

I agree, they should get their rear ends in gear and actually get people off the waiting list and into the market, but it would be foolish to just take whoever is at the top of the list with no checks or limits, throw them in and hope for the best.

I wasn't saying throw everybody in without any checks, but something clearly isn't working. There were stalls that were running fine in Castle Market for years that weren't allowed to move to the new market. There would be nothing wrong with vetting business plans if the council were competent, but they don't seem to be able to manage it well, or it wouldn't be so empty & stalls that had proved themselves already wouldn't have been turned away. Nobody visits the market for empty stalls, an empty stall is worse than one selling things, no matter what they're selling (unless it's something really repulsive I suppose). It's already a problem for everybody in the market. I could understand keeping a few stalls empty, but there's a lot.

The loan to build the market will still have to be paid & the council's plan probably wasn't to have it so under-occupied, so no doubt the empty stalls will be paid for from council tax.

Filling the market should be their top priority, that means they need to ease restrictions on who can set up a stall and/or cut rents.

Edited by anywebsite

The loan to build the market will still have to be paid & the council's plan probably wasn't to have it so under-occupied, so no doubt the empty stalls will be paid for from council tax.

That's you and me in layman's language.

That's you and me in layman's language.

We'd still be paying for the stalls if they were occupied, but at least we'd get something for our money.

Artisan bakers have been mentioned, can't bake bread in the new market because they're not allowed in early enough. So the excellent Sheaf Valley Bakery from Castle Market left the city.