The New Moor Market

Cuttsie you are an incredibly negative person. You dont accept that for many people the old market was in serious decline because times have changed. For many the market area was grubby and full of dubious characters hanging round outside. The building itself was beyond reasonable economic repair. For many others, markets in general are not the way they wish to shop otherwise your precious Castle market would have never declined. All your ideas and sentiments are stuck in the past. There are reasons the whole of the ground floor was shut its because nobody wanted the stalls or were able to make money there. Lots of the upstairs stalls were also closed as well as ones in the main market itself, either closed or used for storage.

It had some character but was generally in continual decline.

I for one will be glad when they knock the whole of that area down and rebuild. I hope there are people interested enough to want to invest in the area, but otherwise I wouldnt say no to it all being grassed over.

---------- Post added 26-04-2014 at 20:34 ----------

Thats not to say I dont think management have done several things poorly in the layout, accepting stalls etc. You as well as others just seem gleeful if it is in trouble and want to announce its death as soon as possible. Plenty more stalls will have to close in the future, its the task of management to see if they can attract new ones that can make a go of it. If they cant then Sheffield might have to realise there isnt enough demand for a market and people prefer to shop in other ways.

All this talk about markets for a thousand years and the entire city being ruined by the Council is just too much of the drama queen.

It would be great to see you and Bedrock in charge.

As tha not read my last but one post . I will spell it out for you.

I hope the Market takes of soon, is that plain enough.

And don't call me a queen.

Cuttsie you are an incredibly negative person. You dont accept that for many people the old market was in serious decline because times have changed. For many the market area was grubby and full of dubious characters hanging round outside. The building itself was beyond reasonable economic repair. For many others, markets in general are not the way they wish to shop otherwise your precious Castle market would have never declined. All your ideas and sentiments are stuck in the past. There are reasons the whole of the ground floor was shut its because nobody wanted the stalls or were able to make money there. Lots of the upstairs stalls were also closed as well as ones in the main market itself, either closed or used for storage.

It had some character but was generally in continual decline.

I for one will be glad when they knock the whole of that area down and rebuild. I hope there are people interested enough to want to invest in the area, but otherwise I wouldnt say no to it all being grassed over.

---------- Post added 26-04-2014 at 20:34 ----------

Thats not to say I dont think management have done several things poorly in the layout, accepting stalls etc. You as well as others just seem gleeful if it is in trouble and want to announce its death as soon as possible. Plenty more stalls will have to close in the future, its the task of management to see if they can attract new ones that can make a go of it. If they cant then Sheffield might have to realise there isnt enough demand for a market and people prefer to shop in other ways.

All this talk about markets for a thousand years and the entire city being ruined by the Council is just too much of the drama queen.

It would be great to see you and Bedrock in charge.

It is great you hold me in high regard, maybe I should apply for a stall selling bottles of air, am sure they would accept that :hihi:

Its's a question not just for the Council but also one for the whingers, supporters and Sheffield as a whole. Do we really have the demand for a profitable market?

Non of us knows the true picture of who applied and who has been refused.

There certainly wasnt enough demand at ye olde traditional market site because the markets located there have been on the decline for the last 30 years.

That's the problem tigger many of us do know the true picture of who applied and why they were turned down and this is what really grates on me there was no major reason they we're turned down except Sheffield bigwigs didn't want them in there prestigious new market and market management decided they weren't good enough so took on stalls that had no experience hence they have now closed with many more to follow.

---------- Post added 27-04-2014 at 00:17 ----------

If I had been in charge trigger we would still be at Castle Market and the place would have had a new roof , new bogs and the lower ground floor shut down and rented to other uses.

But that is to simple isn't it.

---------- Post added 26-04-2014 at 18:26 ----------

When the new Market opened I wished it well and stated that I liked it.

Now it is running it is obvious that it is failing .

Why should I not state what I see with my own eyes .

To reiterate I hope the Market takes of soon but do not think it will unless.

The rents are halved.

The service charges are halved and the council stop being so choosy as to who and who cannot have a stall.

And to finish ,As i have always said it is in the wrong place.

If that is slagging off then so be it.

Here here to this post. All the tennants and customers wanted the above to happen and it would have made more sense. Not sure where tigger gets his info from I traded for 25 years in old market my business didn't decline I fact it expanded and there was hardly any empty stalls on the main 2 floors.

That's the problem tigger many of us do know the true picture of who applied and why they were turned down and this is what really grates on me there was no major reason they we're turned down except Sheffield bigwigs didn't want them in there prestigious new market and market management decided they weren't good enough so took on stalls that had no experience hence they have now closed with many more to follow.

---------- Post added 27-04-2014 at 00:17 ----------

Here here to this post. All the tennants and customers wanted the above to happen and it would have made more sense. Not sure where tigger gets his info from I traded for 25 years in old market my business didn't decline I fact it expanded and there was hardly any empty stalls on the main 2 floors.

We had an old market that was in decline for years due to changing shopping habits.

Do you A: accept this and move with the times or B: Spend millions trying to re-capture bygone times?

We had an old market that was in decline for years due to changing shopping habits.

Do you A: accept this and move with the times or B: Spend millions trying to re-capture bygone times?

The council still lives in the dark ages. They are probably planning to invest money in horse drawn trams.

Markets still thrive in other cities & even smaller towns. Birmingham has 4 big markets, each one much bigger than ours & busier. Difference is SCC aren't in charge there. You could make a solid argument that Barnsley or Doncaster has a better market than Sheffield.

Markets still thrive in other cities & even smaller towns. Birmingham has 4 big markets, each one much bigger than ours & busier. Difference is SCC aren't in charge there. You could make a solid argument that Barnsley or Doncaster has a better market than Sheffield.

But they have a different marketing mix, economic profile and population. They can work in some places for all sorts of reasons and less well in others.

The main reason markets decline in Sheffield is because people like to shop in Supermarkets at Meadowhall and on the internet. Those have a far bigger impact than any decisions SCC might make.

But they have a different marketing mix, economic profile and population. They can work in some places for all sorts of reasons and less well in others.

The main reason markets decline in Sheffield is because people like to shop in Supermarkets at Meadowhall and on the internet. Those have a far bigger impact than any decisions SCC might make.

I don't think we're that different to other British towns & cities. People are forced to shop at supermarkets because there's little alternative, they'd run Castle Market down for years deliberately, shutting the market down & telling half the stalls they couldn't go to the new one was the final blow, when it should've been a chance for regenerating the markets.

Can't even have a decent car boot sale in Sheffield because of SCC. Will have to go out of the city to support any independent market traders if the imposed decline continues. We shouldn't have to go to Barnsley market, they should be coming here to ours.

Edited by anywebsite