The New Moor Market

But they have a different marketing mix, economic profile and population. They can work in some places for all sorts of reasons and less well in others.

The main reason markets decline in Sheffield is because people like to shop in Supermarkets at Meadowhall and on the internet. Those have a far bigger impact than any decisions SCC might make.

But isn't that because people like to take their car with them when they go to do the shopping, and isn't that the very thing that SCC tried to discourage when it planned the new markets? So it is precisely why it is SCC decisions which impact on the market, and decisions made by the management at Meadwowhall and supermarkets that provided proper parking to attract customers.

In the 80s people had a choice. There were two thriving markets. The markets still declined because people chose to shop at supermarkets or Meadowhall. Things change.

---------- Post added 27-04-2014 at 14:36 ----------

But isn't that because people like to take their car with them when they go to do the shopping, and isn't that the very thing that SCC tried to discourage when it planned the new markets? So it is precisely why it is SCC decisions which impact on the market, and decisions made by the management at Meadwowhall and supermarkets that provided proper parking to attract customers.

If you hadnt noticed theres a car park right next to the new market. There are also other car parks within 5 minutes walk. The issue has been discussed about 20 times on this thread.

In the 80s people had a choice. There were two thriving markets. The markets still declined because people chose to shop at supermarkets or Meadowhall. Things change.

---------- Post added 27-04-2014 at 14:36 ----------

If you hadnt noticed theres a car park right next to the new market. There are also other car parks within 5 minutes walk. The issue has been discussed about 20 times on this thread.

There may well be a car park but you still have to get your car to it, and when you do you have to pay for the privilege. Then of course you have to hump your bags back to your car. Non of that applies at a supermarket.

If it has been discussed 20 times already it seems other have noticed it too, so I'm surprised that you and the council have failed to take it on board. Perhaps you are with the council and part of the same short sighted problem.

---------- Post added 27-04-2014 at 14:51 ----------

I don't think we're that different to other British towns & cities. People are forced to shop at supermarkets because there's little alternative, they'd run Castle Market down for years deliberately, shutting the market down & telling half the stalls they couldn't go to the new one was the final blow, when it should've been a chance for regenerating the markets.

Can't even have a decent car boot sale in Sheffield because of SCC. Will have to go out of the city to support any independent market traders if the imposed decline continues. We shouldn't have to go to Barnsley market, they should be coming here to ours.

There is a sort of chicken and egg situation here. They won't get traders to set up in the market because there isn't the trade. There isn't the trade because there is nothing to attract the folk in. There is however plenty to put them off including empty stalls, not much choice and car parking that you have to pay for. It won't be helped when the sky high rents come along.

In the meantime you can go to Chesterfield Market for example. You can park for nowt. There is a massive variety of stuff from plants to musical instruments. There is also a great spattering of proper shops. Coffee shops pubs and cafes. It feels right.

So why would I battle against Sheffield's self imposed traffic problems, pay to park and shop in a market with sod all in it when I can drive down the A61, park free, browse stalls shops, get a proper coffee in a proper coffee shop, lunch in the pub and clear off home hassle free?

Edited by T 42

Nothing to do with the Council, dont be so ridiculous.

Unfortunately city centre locations mean land is expensive. If 50p an hour charity car park is too much for you, then its too much.

Nobody has said that the market was there to compete with supermarkets. If youd paid attention you would notice that supermarkets have been mentioned umpteen times as being one of the major causes of the decline of Sheffields markets.

There may well be a car park but you still have to get your car to it, and when you do you have to pay for the privilege. Then of course you have to hump your bags back to your car. Non of that applies at a supermarket.

If it has been discussed 20 times already it seems other have noticed it too, so I'm surprised that you and the council have failed to take it on board. Perhaps you are with the council and part of the same short sighted problem.

---------- Post added 27-04-2014 at 14:51 ----------

There is a sort of chicken and egg situation here. They won't get traders to set up in the market because there isn't the trade. There isn't the trade because there is nothing to attract the folk in. There is however plenty to put them off including empty stalls, not much choice and car parking that you have to pay for. It won't be helped when the sky high rents come along.

In the meantime you can go to Chesterfield Market for example. You can park for nowt. There is a massive variety of stuff from plants to musical instruments. There is also a great spattering of proper shops. Coffee shops pubs and cafes. It feels right.

So why would I battle against Sheffield's self imposed traffic problems, pay to park and shop in a market with sod all in it when I can drive down the A61, park free, browse stalls shops, get a proper coffee in a proper coffee shop, lunch in the pub and clear off home hassle free?

Are you a resident of Chesterfield?As according to their Website the free parking is for residents only and only at specified times ie before 10 am and

after 3PM

Edited by bazjea

If I had been in charge trigger we would still be at Castle Market and the place would have had a new roof , new bogs and the lower ground floor shut down and rented to other uses.

But that is to simple isn't it.

When the new Market opened I wished it well and stated that I liked it.

Now it is running it is obvious that it is failing .

Why should I not state what I see with my own eyes .

To reiterate I hope the Market takes of soon but do not think it will unless.

The rents are halved.

The service charges are halved and the council stop being so choosy as to who and who cannot have a stall.

And to finish ,As i have always said it is in the wrong place.

If that is slagging off then so be it.

Do you know Cuttsie I struggle with you on football, but Castle Market and the new one I could read what you put all day. In a nutshell you are bang on the button, they've spent all this money on new market is it 60m, and still not full.

CM could have been modernised for 20m say and was still in the best spot for a market, people are saying they have now stopped the Free Bee bus service.

This will stop people going down, as some don't know what buses go down there, if the council want the markets to survive and prosper, why not put a dedicated bus service on to & from the market with a token say 50p to £1.00 return.

Other wise as Cuttsie says we are going to be left with another white elephant, like the Teapots on Paternoster Row. I've not been down yet but as the wife says why put a market, so far from centre is just madness.

I've not been down yet but as the wife says why put a market, so far from centre is just madness.

It is meant to be part of SCC's masterplan. Put the markets at the bottom of the Moor to regenerate that area, and then hope that people will then walk up the Moor visiting other shops on the way.

The more I go in the more I realise that they have messed up big time. If you are going to make a market cool and trendy, then you need to go full hog and offer high end products and top class food. This market does not know what it wants to be.