The New Moor Market

I hope it works out but having visited several times and seeing empty stalls and bits of paper on shutters saying re-open Monday on fri/Saturdays which is supposed to be main trading days,and what happened to this huge waiting list,or why not let traders rent for a short time to try,thus working both ways,but it doesn't help the council chopping and changing what is happening in the area

Think thats down to market management who dont seem to have acquitted themselves well. Their PR Marketing and communication is poor. On the one hand they claim to have this full waiting list and on the other they still seem to have c 25 single units unlet.

Think thats down to market management who dont seem to have acquitted themselves well. Their PR Marketing and communication is poor. On the one hand they claim to have this full waiting list and on the other they still seem to have c 25 single units unlet.

Gee it a chance tigger stop pulling it down any one would think tha din't like it.

I'm used to markets that operate a stand by system. If there are empty stalls folk can rent them by the day/week/month until they are taken. You get day traders who ring around markets and get cut price stalls.

Everyone wins. The traders get a cheap deal on a stall. The market at least gets a return on an otherwise empty pitch and shoppers get a bit more choice.

It won't happen in Sheffield as it would require those in charge to use their imagination.

To hear people complaining that they can't take their cars to market makes me smile. In my day...yawn....markets were in town centres, near bus routes, for people who didn't have cars or didn't want to use them. Hence, Chesterfield, which is described in tourist literature as "historic market town" has the market at the centre of things. Sheffield isn't set up in the same way (though both the old site and the new are good for buses). If you want to be dependent on the car, then the out-of-town superstores cater for your needs.

To hear people complaining that they can't take their cars to market makes me smile. In my day...yawn....markets were in town centres, near bus routes, for people who didn't have cars or didn't want to use them. Hence, Chesterfield, which is described in tourist literature as "historic market town" has the market at the centre of things. Sheffield isn't set up in the same way (though both the old site and the new are good for buses). If you want to be dependent on the car, then the out-of-town superstores cater for your needs.

Reading posts like your's make me smile. Some folk still live in the Dark Ages when folk would walk with a bale of wool to Manchester to sell it at the market there and the rich just wanted somewhere to tie up their horses.

I'm afraid things have moved on and no matter how much folk try to tell car owners that they can shop by bus, they aren't interested. They own a car and intend to use it.

So perhaps the problem is that SCC still lives in the Dark Ages and still listens to folk who tell them that folks really want to travel by bus.

Perhaps if the council emerged into the 21th century we would still have a city centre, an airport, and a stadium, and a ski slope etc etc...

Which people?

There is no problem with car parking near the new market, it's much easier to park your car nearby than it was with Castle Market. Staples is next to it & free car park, or there's a discount for the huge multi-story right next to the market. Since most of the rest of The Moor is in ruins or about to be demolished & the market is half empty too, there's an oversupply of car parking nearby.

Reading posts like your's make me smile. Some folk still live in the Dark Ages when folk would walk with a bale of wool to Manchester to sell it at the market there and the rich just wanted somewhere to tie up their horses.

I'm afraid things have moved on and no matter how much folk try to tell car owners that they can shop by bus, they aren't interested. They own a car and intend to use it.

So perhaps the problem is that SCC still lives in the Dark Ages and still listens to folk who tell them that folks really want to travel by bus.

Perhaps if the council emerged into the 21th century we would still have a city centre, an airport, and a stadium, and a ski slope etc etc...

Think you are being unreasonable with boldforester. He has simply said the Town centre has developed in such a way that the market has not been at the centre. Because it is a central location, then property prices are at a premium.

There are plenty of car parks within a short distance of the current market, but the issue seems to be over 50p an hour for city centre parking being too expensive.

anywebsite there are plenty of people complaining about parking, but it boils down to it not being free. Five minutes away or next door is not close enough for some.

The market half empty? Nah half would mean 50% occupancy and its more like 80%.

Most of the rest of the Moor in ruins? Its not in a good state, there are about 13 empty units plus the construction site, which is significant but not the majority of the Moor.

Think you are being unreasonable with boldforester. He has simply said the Town centre has developed in such a way that the market has not been at the centre. Because it is a central location, then property prices are at a premium.

There are plenty of car parks within a short distance of the current market, but the issue seems to be over 50p an hour for city centre parking being too expensive.

I wasn't being unreasonable with boldforester I was agreeing with most of what he said and my criticism was aimed towards the council. But then the usual council excuse makers jumped in to tell us we were all wrong in wanting to use our cars.