The New Moor Market

Ok so rents are cheaper in Chesterfield - a small town as compared to a rent in the heart of a major retail development in the fifth biggest city in the country.

I dont really know what you are getting at. That's like saying why are rents cheaper at Crystal Peaks than the are in Meadowhall.

Land is more expensive in Central Sheffield thus rental value is more expensive. Potential foothall is much higher in Central Sheffield. Sheffield has a brand new multi million pound market hall right in the middle of what will become the new anchor retail centre. Chesterfield does not.

I'd argue that the new market is at the edge of the city centre, not in the middle.

Potential footfall may be higher in Sheffield but shops depend on actual footfall, something that appears to be lacking at the new market.

I'd argue that the new market is at the edge of the city centre, not in the middle.

Potential footfall may be higher in Sheffield but shops depend on actual footfall, something that appears to be lacking at the new market.

Castle market is also on the edge of the city centre, given the current make up of the city centre there isn't much difference but given the further developments planned and in progress it's clear that the moor will be a far better position, Sheffield is changing we've had plenty of chance to vote out the councillors who put these changes through and we haven't so it's probably time to get used to it.

As for footfall the stallholders have some responsibility, they as businesses attract the footfall.

Castle market is also on the edge of the city centre, given the current make up of the city centre there isn't much difference but given the further developments planned and in progress it's clear that the moor will be a far better position, Sheffield is changing we've had plenty of chance to vote out the councillors who put these changes through and we haven't so it's probably time to get used to it.

As for footfall the stallholders have some responsibility, they as businesses attract the footfall.

I never said the Castle Market was in the city centre, I was questioning ECCOnoob's statement that the new market was in the middle of the city centre.

I accept that stallholders have some responsibility but remember they were enticed by the council's projected weekly six figure footfall, a figure achieved in the early weeks but now a lingering memory.

The council are the ones tasked with attracting and deciding upon who gets stalls in the market, not the stallholders.

If I was a stallholder I'd be gutted turning up each day to be met by an ever increasing number of empty stalls resulting in an ever decreasing footfall.

A very good point Smiggs. They have to adapt and sell things people want.

In A Market?.

Lets try ,Fish, Meat, Bread, Poultry , Green grocery , bags, shoes, Nuts, sweets, and fancy goods.

All present in the new Market and all what ordinary traditional Market customers want.

When some decide that a Market should become a potpourri type of enterprise then that explains to a large extent why it has been moved to the more affluent part of the City.

Doesnt matter what it is really as long as its legal. There's also the quality of items , variety and prices. You should also look at your competition in the market and in the surrounding area. If you cant get that right then any business will struggle.

Indeed they have. Many of them have moved out and are doing quite well elsewhere. Some have gone to other markets such as Chesterfield and will have taken some of their customers with them.

I never said the Castle Market was in the city centre, I was questioning ECCOnoob's statement that the new market was in the middle of the city centre.

I accept that stallholders have some responsibility but remember they were enticed by the council's projected weekly six figure footfall, a figure achieved in the early weeks but now a lingering memory.

The council are the ones tasked with attracting and deciding upon who gets stalls in the market, not the stallholders.

If I was a stallholder I'd be gutted turning up each day to be met by an ever increasing number of empty stalls resulting in an ever decreasing footfall.

I actually said in the middle of the new anchor retail centre. Quite different.

I am making the point that they moved the market hall into where they are also going to shift most of the major retailers.

That's the whole purpose of redevelopment. What really would be the point of shifting the majority of the retail to the other end of town and leaving Castle Market sat there alone like some guarded outpost.

Change has happened. CM aint coming back. People need to use it or lose it altogether. Time for people to stop harping on as if a limb has been lost.

Indeed they have. Many of them have moved out and are doing quite well elsewhere. Some have gone to other markets such as Chesterfield and will have taken some of their customers with them.

If their customers can move from The Castle Market to Chesterfield, why couldn't they make the shorter journey to the Moor Market?

I actually said in the middle of the new anchor retail centre. Quite different.

I am making the point that they moved the market hall into where they are also going to shift most of the major retailers.

That's the whole purpose of redevelopment. What really would be the point of shifting the majority of the retail to the other end of town and leaving Castle Market sat there alone like some guarded outpost.

Change has happened. CM aint coming back. People need to use it or lose it altogether. Time for people to stop harping on as if a limb has been lost.

Meadowhall's moving?

Joking aside, what they are doing is replacing a run down Moor with a run down Castlegate area now that the co-op and market have gone and with Primark soon to follow.

Its a shame when they planned the redevelopment someone seems to have overlooked the Supertram system which serves Castlegate but goes nowhere near the Moor.