The New Moor Market

I've heard a lot of good things about Chesterfield market - Bakewell market also does well.

Although these are known market towns, I'm sure there will be some market towns that are struggling too.

I have visited Chesterfields revamped Market today and the quality of the building is amazing.

Although smaller everything from the toilets to the cafes and stalls are of first class materials and design.

This revamp has cost four million pounds and looks an absolute bargain and the day is made complete by the massive outdoor section that splits into two parts.

It reminded me of how Sheffields Market area used to be before the planners moved in and completely decimated the traditional area.

Edited by cuttsie

I have visited Chesterfields revamped Market today and the quality of the building is amazing.

Although smaller everything from the toilets to the cafes and stalls are of first class materials and design.

This revamp has cost four million pounds and looks an absolute bargain and the day is made complete by the massive outdoor section that splits into two parts.

It reminded me of how Sheffields Market area used to be before the planners moved in and completely decimated the traditional area.

echo that..:thumbsup:

It also makes itself the center of the town and is surrounded in the main by small retail units rather than big stores..though there are some but they are not as in your face as they are in sheffield. I have seldom seen an empty unit or one remain so for long in chesterfield center. Perhaps sheffield councillors could go there on a fact finding mission it might atually prove useful and would not cost as much as some of the other jaunts they have been on.

echo that..:thumbsup:

It also makes itself the center of the town and is surrounded in the main by small retail units rather than big stores..though there are some but they are not as in your face as they are in sheffield. I have seldom seen an empty unit or one remain so for long in chesterfield center. Perhaps sheffield councillors could go there on a fact finding mission it might atually prove useful and would not cost as much as some of the other jaunts they have been on.

Agreed; but then that's what Chesterfield is and always has been...a market town with a natural centre. Sheff isn't and hasn't ....it's the wrong shape, for a start! Castle Market (which nostalgic posters clearly now regard as a sort of Taj Mahal of retail...it wasn't ) was no more at the "centre" of Sheffield than is the new market.

Agreed; but then that's what Chesterfield is and always has been...a market town with a natural centre. Sheff isn't and hasn't ....it's the wrong shape, for a start! Castle Market (which nostalgic posters clearly now regard as a sort of Taj Mahal of retail...it wasn't ) was no more at the "centre" of Sheffield than is the new market.

It is a much nicer building than the Taj Mahal on Attercliffe Common and also Architecturally than the Moor Nissan Hut.

It is a much nicer building than the Taj Mahal on Attercliffe Common and also Architecturally than the Moor Nissan Hut.

To be honest, I think the new market looks like it's been designed to represent the sort of building you'd find in downtown Beirut ... no thought to it's surroundings whatsoever (actually, it does at the mo, what with everything else either derelict or being knocked down). The wooden monstrosity on the end of it is very poorly constructed too. Shambles.

To be honest, I think the new market looks like it's been designed to represent the sort of building you'd find in downtown Beirut ... no thought to it's surroundings whatsoever (actually, it does at the mo, what with everything else either derelict or being knocked down). The wooden monstrosity on the end of it is very poorly constructed too. Shambles.

Beirut looks stunning, constantly wins awards for being one of the best places to visit in the world for tourists, Sheffield can't hope to compete. Downtown Beirut has some really impressive buildings, it'd be fantastic if we had anything like as good as that here.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Beirut/Downtown

Although they don't have a proper market, so I suppose we have them beat with that... http://wikitravel.org/en/Beirut#Markets

Edited by anywebsite

Beirut looks stunning, constantly wins awards for being one of the best places to visit in the world for tourists, Sheffield can't hope to compete. Downtown Beirut has some really impressive buildings, it'd be fantastic if we had anything like as good as that here.

Although they don't have a proper market, so I suppose we have them beat with that... http://wikitravel.org/en/Beirut#Markets

Alco is thinking of a very different Beirut to the newly built one.

Alco is thinking of a very different Beirut to the newly built one.

You mean like those baths the romans newly built there? They'd never build anything like that here due to all the whinging about every new building. I was thinking about the 'Paris of the Middle East' there are a lot of old historic buildings there that have been restored since the end of the civil war. Beirut looks like a beautiful city again & is becoming a big tourist destination again.

They do have a similar problem to Sheffield with a big new mall that has sucked traders out of the traditional areas & is too expensive for locals. Part of the city was destroyed totally by war & they built a huge new mall there, called it a 'souk' too. I don't think the Moor Market is that impressive though, Meadowhall might be a closer comparison.

Back on topic, there are still a few traders left in Sheffield market... got a lovely looking salmon cut of beef for tomorrow, hand cut British lamb chops for tonight & artisan cakes for afters, English asparagus & a huge bag of bread cakes for a pound, couldn't have got all that from Asda's, or Beirut.

Edited by anywebsite

Apologies, I agree ... Beirut does indeed look lovely. I'm not up on world affairs, and was just thinking of the bombed out mess I remembered from photographs.