The New Moor Market

We used to use castle market frequently. Moor market is getting nowhere near the business from us.

It was not possible, no option to restore or maintain castle market. Moor market is too fancy and expensively posh for what a market is. It could have been done a lot cheaper and simpler.

I can't deny the market looks like it's in trouble -- too many closed stalls.

But I love the new place. To my eyes, it looks good on the Moor-side, and on the other side. And it has a very warm, welcoming hum of busy-ness every time we go in.

We hadn't been to Castle Market in more than 5 years, but we go into the new Market once a week. We've been impressed with the fruit, veg, dried fruit, cheese, sweets, and meats, and do as much of our supermarket shopping there as we can.

I hope the stall holders know that some of us wish them well -- and we can't be the only ones. You see a lot of enthusiastic shoppers there.

Or maybe just maybe the stall holders could join the real business world and realise what it means to run a financially viable business in a world where the council doesn't subside their rent and charges them a fair market price.

I really hope the market continues, was shocked at how many stalls have closed already. Would be a shame if it didn't stay open

It appears that a market trader can rent a stall in Chesterfield Market on a daily basis for as little as £9.20. That means they can do a couple of days there, a day at Bakewell, a day at Mansfield and spread their trade around.

I'm seeing £9.20/day equates to £2500 for a years trading compared to 10 times that for a year in the Moor Market. It is hardly surprising that the new market is struggling with empty stalls.

Or maybe just maybe the stall holders could join the real business world and realise what it means to run a financially viable business in a world where the council doesn't subside their rent and charges them a fair market price.

If it was a 'fair market price' the place would be full & rents per stall would be lower. Only the council can afford to keep running it half empty at a loss. The only stalls being subsidised are the empty ones.

Unless the council re-thinks it's rent prices sheffield will not have a market at all.

That is so clearly obvious I am left wondering who they have in mind to take over the empty building when the market fails.

The moor as a shopping centre may potentially share the market's fate if someone is not made to employ some full-time workers that know what they doing to clear the sites they are STILL demolishing buildings on. At the current rate of progession clearing the sites is never going to complete this year. Given how long it took to build the new market it probably not be until 2018 that we see the proposed new buildings in use. Longer than that if the council have anything to do with filling the new premises with businesses.

Unless the council re-thinks it's rent prices sheffield will not have a market at all.

That is so clearly obvious I am left wondering who they have in mind to take over the empty building when the market fails.

The moor as a shopping centre may potentially share the market's fate if someone is not made to employ some full-time workers that know what they doing to clear the sites they are STILL demolishing buildings on. At the current rate of progession clearing the sites is never going to complete this year. Given how long it took to build the new market it probably not be until 2018 that we see the proposed new buildings in use. Longer than that if the council have anything to do with filling the new premises with businesses.

Surely stall holders would pass the cost of high rents on to customers? At least that's the kind of thing a few of the Napolean's on here would advocate. (I said Napolean rather than Hitler because we are a nation of shop keepers).

Why will it fail? SSC are using hit and run tatics, just like central government is doing at the moment. They are charging high rents until they can no longer get away with it, just like central government and its Bedroom Tax and other antisocial policies