The New Moor Market

An article in The Star about retail in the city:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/hard-times-but-city-will-bounce-back-1-6638189

I did have a chuckle at the first comment underneath the article:

Here's a report for you, for nothing: Sheffield is a dump. It's full of poor people because the council's strategy is to keep people poor to keep them voting for Labour handouts. This is an anti-business, anti-profit, anti-car council known around the world for its hard left stance and no business in its right mind would even try and jump through all the council's mindless hoops to invest in a city where the average weekly wage in £450. Give it up and build a city park. That'll give somewhere for the next wave of incomers to pitch their caravans.

Somebody isn't impressed with our city centre. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

I went in the market for the first time on Saturday due to torrential rain at the Food Festival, my initial thoughts were that it is quite badly set out inside with all the stalls looking like they have been shoved to one side, it doesn't really flow.

The food section doesn't seem to have much in the way of choice (bacon or pork sandwiches), my partner chose a small Italian stall and the food and service was appalling.

Not a place I'd be rushing back to.

I tried to phone them yesterday no answer over an hour of trying.

For an hour are you being serious lol? What was so important that you needed to persist for an hour? What nun said about bank holiday.

On sunday they had a continental market on the Moor. Hope the stands were cheap. Nowhere near as busy as fargate, but a good idea and they had the type of stalls that might fare better in the market itself i.e they sold something different and higher quality. Hope they do it more often.

I visited for first time and left feeling why did they bother building it.

As a kid I remember going with my Gran to the old markets and the atmosphere was electric. Spread over 3 or so floors. Meat and Fish at the bottom, queues everywhere, stallholders shouting out. Was a ritual to have a tea/coffee, place to chat.

Now..... a vast open space with about as much atmosphere as a craft/antique market.