The New Moor Market

It needs higher footfall, obviously, but we should put it into context.

See:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/sheffield-market-footfall-down-by-almost-a-quarter-1-6092281 (2013)

Mick Cull, chairman of the Castle Market branch of the National Market Traders Federation, said the drop in footfall was ‘alarming’, adding: “That’s going down from 60,000 a week to just more than 45,000.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/people_and_places/newsid_8868000/8868795.stm (2010)

Traders at Castle Market say that footfall there is down 8-9000. They get a reduction of 40% from their rent and are worried that a move to The Moor will cost them. However, footfall is higher on The Moor and shoppers say they will be pleased to see the main markets there.

Is this a generation thing?

My Grandparents used to like shopping in markets, because it's what they were brought up with, but it's never really been my scene.

I wonder if it's a bit like Church, with many of those who attend being of the older generation and as they gradually pass away over time, so does the attendance.

I want to see the Moor Market succeed and hope the new developments down The Moor will get more people down there, but it's certainly not looking very positive at the moment.

Regards

Doom

Is this a generation thing?

My Grandparents used to like shopping in markets, because it's what they were brought up with, but it's never really been my scene.

I wonder if it's a bit like Church, with many of those who attend being of the older generation and as they gradually pass away over time, so does the attendance.

I want to see the Moor Market succeed and hope the new developments down The Moor will get more people down there, but it's certainly not looking very positive at the moment.

Regards

Doom

The traditional Market area in Sheffield is around Castle Gate and Exchange Street, It has been that way for a thousand years.

A market is a meeting place where generations of citizens have met to converse and trade. In other words it is the heart of a City.

Only in Sheffield would we destroy the very heart of our City.

The traditional Market area in Sheffield is around Castle Gate and Exchange Street, It has been that way for a thousand years.

A market is a meeting place where generations of citizens have met to converse and trade. In other words it is the heart of a City.

Only in Sheffield would we destroy the very heart of our City.

Repetition 100.

Repetition 101.

And I wil be saying it for the next 101;)

Any way, Andy Ward the Market manager has just been on Radio Sheffield after deciding to ask Hallam University to discover why the Market has lost up to 40,000 visitors per week.

Now the middle classes who are tutors and students at Uni are not the people who you should be [or should have] asked about the Market.

Indeed you should have asked [like our group did when trying to save the traditional area] the actual people who used the Market on a daily basis and the reply to us was almost unanimously "we will not be going down that end of Town" .

This was also the answer from some traders who are now in the new Mall and are starting to moan over footfall .

Its to late now !we told you so.