The New Moor Market

the handbag stall been trading since 1851 is closing down,will there be anything left soon the council told us there was a waiting list,so why the empty stalls ?

the questions been asked before, but still no answer from the council or their supporters :huh::huh::huh:

Funny that because your many, many posts on here slagging off the city centre are, you claim, always written from first hand experience. Added to those you've written under other usernames (UptownGirl et al) they make you the city centres number one denigrator. And yet you don't come here too often.

We can all play that game. Don't you post as Stan Tamundo and posted as Wednesday1 before you got banned. It is a cheap way of trying to undermine other posters when they say it how it is and it isn't what you want to hear, and are incapable of actually putting up a counter arguement.

By the way I go in to Sheffield as often as I need to. Perhaps if the place was more attractive and had more to offer I would go there more often.

Edited by Anna Glypta

The location was a big mistake for the large numbers of people expected. Does council really think people are going to get of a tram or bus and walk a large distance away to where a new market is that is also more expensive than the old one and then walk all the way back to where the tram is or where their bus is. That is one main reason we stopped using it and we know others with same explanation why they stopped going.

They put the new market on the side of town where rich people live who shop at M&S or Sainsbury's and usually drive cars. In England these groups don't connect there is a very active class system in UK that keeps these groups separated.

A friend of mine visiting has said it looks like they took the market away from a more poor lower class area and tried to give the market to the upper class.

Now they find out the lower class does not come as much as they used to and the upper class is not going to keep a market running.

There are many Supermarkets on the out skirts of sheffield to keep people away from the town center not to mention Meadowhell and Pistol Creeks and numerous retail parks, in days gone by every one went into town to do their main shop- day out ect, so due to the big Magnets on the outskirts this is the main reason anything in the city center arn't doin owt.:huh:

The location was a big mistake for the large numbers of people expected. Does council really think people are going to get of a tram or bus and walk a large distance away to where a new market is that is also more expensive than the old one and then walk all the way back to where the tram is or where their bus is.

Not this tripe again. There was no tram to the old market prior to 1994 or whatever it was, and it managed fine. Furthermore, buses have been rerouted since the new market opened. The elderly and disabled are still able to use existing routes using their FREE passes.

Hallamshire Hospital doesnt have a tram stop, neither does the NGH. Enough said.

That is one main reason we stopped using it and we know others with same explanation why they stopped going.

Others may have started using it, swings and roundabouts. I have been in a lot more than the old one.

They put the new market on the side of town where rich people live who shop at M&S or Sainsbury's and usually drive cars. In England these groups don't connect there is a very active class system in UK that keeps these groups separated.

A friend of mine visiting has said it looks like they took the market away from a more poor lower class area and tried to give the market to the upper class.

Now they find out the lower class does not come as much as they used to and the upper class is not going to keep a market running.

Again, a load of rubbish. You make it sound like Sheffield is a sprawling metropolis where each side of the city centre is about ten miles away from each other. Its an extra half mile (mile at a push) from the old market to the new one, for crying out loud. If people cant be arsed making the effort, thats their problem isnt it?

The new market is about 300 yards away from a branch of Aldi and the market itself is attached to an Iceland. Rich part of town indeed...

PRESLEY is nearer the money - people just prefer supermarkets these days. And the same with me, as they are open when I want them to be.

Edited by No User Name