The New Moor Market

There are many Supermarkets on the out skirts of sheffield to keep people away from the town center not to mention Meadowhell and Pistol Creeks and numerous retail parks, in days gone by every one went into town to do their main shop- day out ect, so due to the big Magnets on the outskirts this is the main reason anything in the city center arn't doin owt.:huh:

And many people shop online now, no need to go to the shop. You can shop sitting on the toilet with your mobile.

The location was a big mistake for the large numbers of people expected. Does council really think people are going to get of a tram or bus and walk a large distance away to where a new market is that is also more expensive than the old one and then walk all the way back to where the tram is or where their bus is. That is one main reason we stopped using it and we know others with same explanation why they stopped going.

They put the new market on the side of town where rich people live who shop at M&S or Sainsbury's and usually drive cars. In England these groups don't connect there is a very active class system in UK that keeps these groups separated.

A friend of mine visiting has said it looks like they took the market away from a more poor lower class area and tried to give the market to the upper class.

Now they find out the lower class does not come as much as they used to and the upper class is not going to keep a market running.

I'm not sure I'd have described the Moor as 'middle/upper class'! Before they started doing the area up I'd have said it was on a par with Castle Markets area in terms of budget shops and discount frozen food places. It's hardly any better now with a Pound Bakery, Poundland, Iceland and Jack Fultons!

I'm happy having the market being near the Moor as I often go in on my lunch break and buy fresh meat and fish from there, but I can completely understand people who say there's a lack of transport links. Bus links aren't exactly terrible though. There's a large number of bus roots that go down Moorfoot, but having poor access to the tram will be hampering footfall.

Yes, many busroutes go by the moor but only convenient when coming/going from south.

Majority of old market users lived in north, west, east. Now a visit to moor ads 15 minutes there and 15 minutes back to something that used to be en route before.

Yes, many busroutes go by the moor but only convenient when coming/going from south.

Majority of old market users lived in north, west, east. Now a visit to moor ads 15 minutes there and 15 minutes back to something that used to be en route before.

Well if people are too lazy/impatient to travel an extra few minutes, more fool them.

Forget about bus routes and Poor and Rich people, no matter if a bus would drive through the doors of the new Market and take you from stall to stall,:hihi: the last night Look North report stated the expected volume of people wern't coming through the doors. As I mentioned previously the reason is the Majority of people live on the out skirts of sheffield, and guess what, for those who are not getting this point, ALDI, ASDA, MORRISONS, MEADOWHELL, PISTOL CREEKS, RETAIL PARKS ARE ALL OUT THERE,:loopy:

Well if people are too lazy/impatient to travel an extra few minutes, more fool them.

I don't understand your point. Surely it is more fool those who built the market where folks couldn't be bothered to walk. Despite what some might think this isn't a dictatorship. Folks are still allowed to please themselves. It is only North Korea where you force people to use the shops they are told to use. Over here folks simply use the ones that are convenient and offer what they want at reasonable prices.

---------- Post added 29-05-2014 at 12:13 ----------

Forget about bus routes and Poor and Rich people, no matter if a bus would drive through the doors of the new Market and take you from stall to stall,:hihi: the last night Look North report stated the expected volume of people wern't coming through the doors. As I mentioned previously the reason is the Majority of people live on the out skirts of sheffield, and guess what, for those who are not getting this point, ALDI, ASDA, MORRISONS, MEADOWHELL, PISTOL CREEKS, RETAIL PARKS ARE ALL OUT THERE,:loopy:

And they all have convenient free car parking.

I don't understand your point. Surely it is more fool those who built the market where folks couldn't be bothered to walk. Despite what some might think this isn't a dictatorship. Folks are still allowed to please themselves. It is only North Korea where you force people to use the shops they are told to use. Over here folks simply use the ones that are convenient and offer what they want at reasonable prices.

Things move location, its part of life. When Asda moved from Orgreave to Handsworth in no doubt inconvenienced many. On the flip side, it was more convenient for others.

Things move location, its part of life. When Asda moved from Orgreave to Handsworth in no doubt inconvenienced many. On the flip side, it was more convenient for others.

I'm sure that it was, but as it allowed for a car park where people's trolleys didn't run away down the hill and allowed for a much larger store it probably was pretty well reaserched and thought through. I'm unaware that ASDA ever ran into problems with "footfall" after that particular move. I even use it myself from time to time even though it requires a long drive to get there. That's because I can park my car outside and if I emerge from the store with a flat screen TV in my trolley I can wheel it up to my car and a nice man will help me pop it in the back.

Did I mention that it is easy to park there?

Sheffield Council have yet again dropped another big one again, just by not doin there home work, and the customers are going to end up picking up the tab by shopping there.:suspect: School boy errors caused by too many School Boys running the Council.:hihi:

I'm sure that it was, but as it allowed for a car park where people's trolleys didn't run away down the hill and allowed for a much larger store it probably was pretty well reaserched and thought through. I'm unaware that ASDA ever ran into problems with "footfall" after that particular move. I even use it myself from time to time even though it requires a long drive to get there. That's because I can park my car outside and if I emerge from the store with a flat screen TV in my trolley I can wheel it up to my car and a nice man will help me pop it in the back.

Did I mention that it is easy to park there?

Both the old Asda and the new Asda had a car park

Both the old market and the new market didnt have a car park. No difference in either case. So I dunno what your point is here other than out of town shopping is more convenient, which most of us know anyway.

---------- Post added 29-05-2014 at 12:31 ----------

Sheffield Council have yet again dropped another big one again, just by not doin there home work, and the customers are going to end up picking up the tab by shopping there.:suspect: School boy errors caused by too many School Boys running the Council.:hihi:

Where would you have put the market then if you had made the decision 4 (?) years ago, with retaining the old site not being a viable option?