The New Moor Market

Great debating skillz, bro.

Where is the land there? Or are you suggesting they knock down the old TJ Hughes building?

I ignore idiots, when they don't read my post correctly. I was asked previously which part of the city would I put the market, all I said was the TJ. Hughes area, land permitting. Why was that so hard to understand.:huh::loopy:

I would hardly slag my own employer off, no matter what department I work in. So Cuttsie needs to try again.

Cuttsie never said you did.

Perhaps you would like to comment on the thread title instead of trying to keep it going by personal attacks on those that have constructive points of view.

Why are you squealing aboyt the Council? they are businesses and should stand on their own two feet and without subsidy from anyone else.

Adapt or go out of business.

Why should profitable shops have to subsidise the others?

You raise some interesting points.

The council, despite whatever it may think, is employed by us to act in our best interests.

Might it be in our best interests to subsidise some buisnesses?

For example; By subsidising some of the smaller operations in the city centre might that not help keep the concept of shopping in the city centre a more viable proposition for us all. It may also prevent us all becoming totally reliant on a few big buisinesses, and totally at the whim of their pricing and marketing policies. Which we would in time find rather tedious and somewhat limiting in choice. Then we would all go to somewhere where that was more to our liking as the city centre as a shopping option dies off. Not everyone has the means or can afford to travel to a more interesting place in which to shop.

Might it not be in the interests of the more profitble shops to subsidise the others to maintain the high footfall in the area upon which they depend?

You say adapt or go out of buisiness? Perhaps it is the council that needs to adapt to maintain the city centre a place that people wish to visit and shop. Without the rates levied upon the city centre buisnesses the councils expenditure would have to be financed by the residents pushing up the cost of living in sheffield with its dead or dying centre.

After all if no-one wants to shop here perhaps they might want to live nearer where they do want to shop. People may choose to leave sheffield altogether, especially as the rates inevitably rise. What if we all left? Who would even need a sheffield council then?

Yes 999tigger you raised some interesting points, though I think you were unaware of it at the time.

I ignore idiots, when they don't read my post correctly. I was asked previously which part of the city would I put the market, all I said was the TJ. Hughes area, land permitting. Why was that so hard to understand.:huh::loopy:

Because we were trying to get you to be more practical and give us an idea where you would put it. I wasnt having a go I was trying to explore your idea. Where would you find a site of an appropriate size? thats the dilemma of the planner. If you cnat provide a reasoned answer other than calling people idiots, then your point of view seems pretty unconvincing.

I agree Chesterfield Market is great. But it does have a multi million pond indoor section as well as many "market shops" that face onto the market place. In recent weeks there have been up to 166 stalls on the market.

I'm sure that you are attracted to Chesterfield Market by the same features that attract me. It has dozens of really good independent coffee shops, pubs, cafes scattered around the place so you can stop for a pint and a pie whilst the missus browses through the stalls.

There isn't that available in Sheffield. Indeed I'm stumped to think of a pub that I would actually enter anywhere near Sheffield Market, and if I wanted a coffee I would go to a department store rather than the market.

The best coffee shops and pubs in Sheffield city centre are around Division street and West Street, 10 minute walk I grant you and aimed at a younger crowd but they're a lot closer to the new market than the old.

The best coffee shops and pubs in Sheffield city centre are around Division street and West Street, 10 minute walk I grant you and aimed at a younger crowd but they're a lot closer to the new market than the old.

I'm not sure that I'd bother with a 10 minute walk to a pub whilst the missus was in the market. With a 10 minute walk back that doesn't allow much time for pint in any of the seedy boozers on West Street.

I think on reflection I'll stick to plan A. In Chesterfield there are several excellent pubs alongside the market stalls (and coffe shops and a very good pie maker). I can even watch the missus through the windows to make sure she doesn't buy anything stupid.

I wasn't a great fan of the old market but at least you could get a decent pint without having a half mile walk in each direction.

---------- Post added 30-05-2014 at 19:45 ----------

Perhaps you are dealing with a council double act.

I'm not sure that I'd bother with a 10 minute walk to a pub whilst the missus was in the market. With a 10 minute walk back that doesn't allow much time for pint in any of the seedy boozers on West Street.

I think on reflection I'll stick to plan A. In Chesterfield there are several excellent pubs alongside the market stalls (and coffe shops and a very good pie maker). I can even watch the missus through the windows to make sure she doesn't buy anything stupid.

I wasn't a great fan of the old market but at least you could get a decent pint without having a half mile walk in each direction.

---------- Post added 30-05-2014 at 19:45 ----------

Perhaps you are dealing with a council double act.

Where could you get a good pint near the Old Market ? The few pubs near there were ( are ) full of deadheads , crooks , alchy`s , druggies you name it , and you call West Street seedy ?

Where could you get a good pint near the Old Market ? The few pubs near there were ( are ) full of deadheads , crooks , alchy`s , druggies you name it , and you call West Street seedy ?

The Norfolk at the bottom of Dixon Lane has a clientele that included building workers, steel workers etc,[ most of them retired ]perhaps you will put your head around the snug door the next time you are around the area and utter your load of crap.

The 3 Cranes and the Dove & Rainbow always seemed half decent boozers. Not a patch on the ones actually in Chesterfield Market, and perhaps a couple of hundred yards to walk, but certainly a good deal better than anything within walking distance of the new market hall.