The New Moor Market

I am unsure where they are going at the moment. I will let you know, but they are moving. I would think there will be space in the development than runs from Macdonalds down including the old sports direct and maybe ex woolies?

Its what Sheffield Markets informed me of the price. E-mail them and ask. The Star refers to it as being over £10m cost in a report put before the Council in 2009. Whats your source for £1m?

---------- Post added 31-05-2014 at 19:03 ----------

And you never miss an opportunity to gloss over the facts and try to pretend everything is fine when clearly it isn't.

---------- Post added 31-05-2014 at 18:07 ----------

Quite happy to discuss the actual issues and go through them one by one except you dont seem capable of rational discussion. Make your points and then I can answer them. The markets face quite a bunver of challenges if they want to survive. A lot of the implementation is poor. Many of the stalls are unsuited because they sell the wrong stuff and they will be unable to deal with the competition that is already on the Moor. Some of the market is good incluing many of the food stalls.

How is that glossing over the situation?

I havent pretended everything is fine. Feel free to quote me. Back it up or look like even more of a fool.

All you ever do is bang on about Chesterfiekd market and how you like living in Chesterfield. Anybody who doubts this should read T42s previous contributions on the thread.

Edited by 999tigger

I am unsure where they are going at the moment. I will let you know, but they are moving. I would think there will be space in the development than runs from Macdonalds down including the old sports direct and maybe ex woolies?

Its what Sheffield Markets informed me of the price. E-mail them and ask. The Star refers to it as being over £10m cost in a report put before the Council in 2009. Whats your source for £1m?

No source I have been on The roof and examined it and would have been highly delighted to be offered a million quid to re roof it.

And so it is official Wilkinsons are moving into the old Woolies building ,funny that my daughter was part of a team last week trying to find another use for that building:)

Cuttsue the point is you say the costs are £1m to have fixed castle market but theres a big difference between that and the £12m that was reported to the Council as being the cost of those repairs. If you hadnt noticed £12m is a lot more than £1m.

Thanks bazjea for finding the report.

Cuttsue the point is you say the costs are £1m to have fixed castle market but theres a big difference between that and the £12m that was reported to the Council as being the cost of those repairs. If you hadnt noticed £12m is a lot more than £1m.

I do not believe that it would have cost 12 million to refurb Castle Market it was a figure picked out of the air to try and justify the 60 Million plus it is costing the move to the Moor.

And just so as you do not come back and say it is only 16 million then I would point out that the loan will amount to more than 60 million.

Just to make sure that you understand:)

And so it is official Wilkinsons are moving into the old Woolies building ,funny that my daughter was part of a team last week trying to find another use for that building:)

Which part of maybe dont you understand? I know they are moving to the Moor. Does it make that much difference about which building they are going to. There are two major developments on the Moor. The one with the cinema and Primark in as well as the one redeveloping the Macdonalds building and the old sports direct. I would suspect they are moving into one or the other pending negotiations.

Are you saying they arent moving there?

And the same report (from 2006) says that even the £10m investment might have only "saved" the building for another 10 years and couldn't tackle some of the inherent problems. So even if they had decided to refurbish Castle Markets back in 2006, we would have still been having this conversation in the next couple of years.

It also points out that Castle Market was losing £406,000 per year as operating costs exceeded revenue. This shortfall was being covered by surpluses generated by other markets such as Crystal Peaks, which were profitable. The hope was that running costs of the new market would be broadly the same but revenue would increase.

The report is here in case anyone hasn't found it: http://sheffielddemocracy.moderngov.co.uk/CeListDocuments.aspx?MID=887&F=1-3%20City%20Centre%20Indoor%20Market%24embed%24.htm&DF=08%2F03%2F2006&A=1&R=0

I do not believe that it would have cost 12 million to refurb Castle Market it was a figure picked out of the air to try and justify the 60 Million plus it is costing the move to the Moor.

And just so as you do not come back and say it is only 16 million then I would point out that the loan will amount to more than 60 million.

Just to make sure that you understand:)

Well thats the figure in the report. If you dont believe it then you should have informed the council about your expertise to do it for £1m along with your credentials. If you dont believe it, then theres not a lot anyone can do about that.

Thanks for the report Andy I knew it was soemwhere but couldnt find it again.

People actually interested in the matter could make their minds up about whether to believe the estimate as presented to the council or whether we should believe Cuttsie.

Edited by 999tigger

Castle market had been left to fall into disrepair by the council. Of course it was going to cost a lot to bring it upto standard.

That's by the by. If it had to be moved it shouldn't have been moved to where it is now by an "I know best council" that time after time has proven that it knows nothing.

Well thats the figure in the report. If you dont believe it then you should have informed the council about your expertise to do it for £1m along with your credentials. If you dont believe it, then theres not a lot anyone can do about that.

No trigger that was for the roof.

A new gents bog [on the loading bay] would have set them back £80,000 ish.

And then the emulsion paint to various areas maybe a further £35,000 ish plus contingencies .

The work would have left a usable building for the foreseeable future as long as the maintenance was kept up to a high standard .