The New Moor Market

Went in today and thought it was quite nice apart from being amazingly crowded in certain choke points. It was lunchtime however so perhaps I was there at the worst time. The meat market bit looked especially good. They need to find someone to fill those empty stalls though.

Haven't seen the Moor that busy in years.

---------- Post added 26-11-2013 at 22:15 ----------

Totally agree with you. I think some people just look down on others and make prejudiced assumptions about them based on their appearance.

Yes same here, the whole place seems to have a buzz now with Iceland opening next door to it today as well.

Hardly, I live on a council estate and am very much working class and proud of it...I just have a bad taste for the smack heads and alcoholics that used to linger around castle market.

That is a load of codswollop and comments like yours are one reason why the Castle Market has been shunned by people who believe such utter crap.

You then go on to say you did not go in the Castle Market for years.

Edited by cuttsie

I think the area was grotty and run down, poorly lit etc and part of that is the council let it run down and some of the low quality shops that were there, especially since sheaf market went. Inside there were honest traders, lot of tat and some bargains but you did feel the place had been abandoned. The council knew the place was being run down hence the reduced rents.

The markets for me were always just different and a refreshing change from supermarkets and everything in clingfilm. Try the new market at least for fruit and veg because then youll realise how much places like sainsbury rip you off.

Good lighting and regular footfall are likely to deter gangs imo. It is also down a more affluent area of town. Its a shame if wilko is moving because that area of town will quicky unravel in terms of retail. Its been nice to see the Moor busy. If Primark, wilko plus a new cinema open on the Moor it will be really busy again, which then might revive sevenstone as an option. Its a shame London and Ecclesall road arent more connected.

The Council allgedly have a plan of abandoning the whole area for retail, so that High street becomes the outer end. Sheffield has always suffered from having an unusual linear retail zone. Consolidation into a more compact zone is what many cities are having to do in face of retail going online and out of town.

TBF Cutttsie people stopped using the market because they used supermarkets. Its just chaning retail. Less stalls mean a less attractive market means less people go hence a steady decline from when Sheaf and Castle were flourishing to the snall rump that is in the new market. 7-10 meat and fish stalls and 3 fruit and veg for a city the size of Sheffield.

Edited by 999tigger

I think the area was grotty and run down, poorly lit etc and part of that is the council let it run down and some of the low quality shops that were there, especially since sheaf market went. Inside there were honest traders, lot of tat and some bargains but you did feel the place had been abandoned. The council knew the place was being run down hence the reduced rents.

The markets for me were always just different and a refreshing change from supermarkets and everything in clingfilm. Try the new market at least for fruit and veg because then youll realise how much places like sainsbury rip you off.

Good lighting and regular footfall are likely to deter gangs imo. It is also down a more affluent area of town. Its a shame if wilko is moving because that area of town will quicky unravel in terms of retail. Its been nice to see the Moor busy. If Primark, wilko plus a new cinema open on the Moor it will be really busy again, which then might revive sevenstone as an option. Its a shame London and Ecclesall road arent more connected.

The Council allgedly have a plan of abandoning the whole area for retail, so that High street becomes the outer end. Sheffield has always suffered from having an unusual linear retail zone. Consolidation into a more compact zone is what many cities are having to do in face of retail going online and out of town.

Let's hope they get stuck in to these projects next year and let's see Castle finally come down.

I think it is now urgent that things be addressed as soon as possible and get some pride back in to the city.

TBF Cutttsie people stopped using the market because they used supermarkets. Its just chaning retail. Less stalls mean a less attractive market means less people go hence a steady decline from when Sheaf and Castle were flourishing to the snall rump that is in the new market. 7-10 meat and fish stalls and 3 fruit and veg for a city the size of Sheffield.

I haven't visited the new mall yet Tigger[ will do tomorrow ]but I know from what I have seen on line that the ambiance and layout will never be as attractive as the wonderful nooks and crannies that made the Castle Market so unique.

So I will look and take it all in and keep my gob shut.

I think!

That could well turn out to be true, recently Wilkinsons announced a policy of only opening smaller stores in future.

I think that it's only the Post Office franchise that is keeping the Haymarket branch going, it's really suffered since the big B&M store opened nearby.

wilkinsons have a shop less than 800 yards away

---------- Post added 27-11-2013 at 01:21 ----------

whats is dissapointing is the down and outs seem to be following the market

One thing I noticed in the market was the age of the shoppers and this was backed up by The Star article and those being interviewed.

Many of those shopping in the market were pensioners. I know my Grandparents used to like to go down to the Castle Market to pick up their fresh meat and vegetables. Will the next generation of pensioners also switch to market shopping or will they stick to what they've been brought up with (ie. Supermarkets)?

I'm asking the question because obviously it will impact on the long term future of any market.

With the additional footfall I noticed down The Moor yesterday, I'm hoping that will continue and as a result it will hopefully encourage other retailers to move down there and make it an even better shopping area.

Regards

Doom