The New Moor Market

Got wrong end of the stick (as usual) I thought people were saying that it was inaccessible by car.

Thanks Plain Talker :)

No. The criticism is that 50p am hour for the charity car park is too expensive and it should be free like at supermarkets or meadowhall.

Are you for real??

Firstly, the MPS Building was under contruction in the late 70s and was occupied from 1981. The moor did not decline. In fact throughout the 80s and 90s it continued to be packed with stores and shoppers. That's nearly 20 years post MPS Building and the road closures. Its only since the increase in popularity of Meadowhall, companies moving to outside city sites and decline of the coop group closing two major stores in that location and the unavoidable delays with the Sevenstone Project that it even began to decline and that was as late as the 00s

Secondly, you can still drive down either side of the moor parallel to the rear of each and every shop unit. You can get even closer by driving into Matilda Street, Eyre Street or Rockingham Gate. Hardly a million miles away.

Thirdly, let just indulge your nostalga here and just imagine for one second that the moor was back as it was with its two way traffic and no manpower services building blocking the way. What difference would it possibly make to the Moor's accessibility.

Do you really think for one second in 2014 with our current traffic levels combined with pedestrians/buses/taxis and cyclists that it would be utopia where you can just swing in and park up on a nice single yellow outside any shop you want.

WAKE UP :loopy::loopy:

People like you are just a perfect example of why this city is always lagging behind. "...dont like change" "...it should have been left how it was..." "...its all the Council's fault..."

Hey you wake up.

The department stores that were on The Moor when they built the Manpower building were established retailers with up to date stores. As the stores needed to be replaced they didn't replace them on the Moor. They moved elsewhere. That is because The Moor is now a cul de sac where folk don't go in numbers. That's why there are no pubs and the place dominated with empty shops and pound stores.

It isn't people like me that caused the decline in Sheffield. I merely pointed it out. The decline was caused by people like you who were prepared to ignore the symptoms, make excuses for the idiots in charge and sit back whilst they destroyed Sheffield.

All I do is shop elswhere. What the council has done is give me and thousands of others the reason to do that.

Edited by Anna Glypta

No. The criticism is that 50p am hour for the charity car park is too expensive and it should be free like at supermarkets or meadowhall.

Would be great if it was, but I don't know of any other town or city with free parking. You would have the additional problem of people who work on the city using it as a cheap source of parking but not necessarily using the market.

When I go into Barnsley Market I park at the Alhambra and pay more than 50p per hour. The only free option there, I think is the Morrison's car park, but you have to shop instore to get a refund.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

In case you are, if you hadn't noticed, there are numerous other roads into the city centre.

If you hadn't noticed no one is interested and the visitor numbers at the new market are 40% down and falling.

Are you for real??

Firstly, the MPS Building was under contruction in the late 70s and was occupied from 1981....

...no manpower services building blocking the way. What difference would it possibly make to the Moor's accessibility.

MSC building was built with a road access through it in line with The Moor, easy to see this if you have a look, so it was actually designed not to "block the way". Possibly thoughts of a future Tram system, but it was never used.

It is funny how the councilistas will round on this and tell folk what they should do. The fact remains that they don't do what you want them to do. They clear off somewhere else.

So whilst you like to tell folk that they should pay for parking they seem to think otherwise which is why numbers are 40,000 down at the new market before a penny in rent has yet been collected.

It's not the cul de sac, transport or parking that puts me off shopping in Sheffield, it's the intimidating people who seem to hang around.

The only place that is almost pleasant is Fargate and that is spoiled by chuggers, catalogue people and the people who grab you for surveys.

Perhaps when it's all finished...

It is funny how the councilistas will round on this and tell folk what they should do. The fact remains that they don't do what you want them to do. They clear off somewhere else.

So whilst you like to tell folk that they should pay for parking they seem to think otherwise which is why numbers are 40,000 down at the new market before a penny in rent has yet been collected.

Someone asked about parking and that is an honest answer which is more than can be said for you. I havent told anyone they should park, just thats what it costs. If they want to use supermarkets then thats up to them. On numerous threads ive pointed out why consumer patterns have changed towards supermarkets.

You really are a posionous person anna always talking Sheffield down and reveling in it. never anything constructive to say.

The department stores that were on The Moor when they built the Manpower building were established retailers with up to date stores. As the stores needed to be replaced they didn't replace them on the Moor. They moved elsewhere. That is because The Moor is now a cul de sac where folk don't go in numbers.

What Department stores are you talking about that were these "established up to date retailers"

Cooperative namely mini castle house and Sunwin House collapsed because SCS closed down and Yorkshire Cooperative Group merged with the National Cooperative Group who closed all of their non food operations.

The unit was replaced by Sainsburys and Sunwin House is to be redeveloped - therefore nobody can or will buy it as they cannot operate anything from it.

As for the others. Robert Brothers did not "move elsewhere" it simply ceased trading. Woolworths as a national company went bankrupt so again nothing to do with the Moor location.

BHS/Debenhams and Atkinsons are all still there and seem to be doing strong despite the "demise" of the Moor you speak of. Atkinsons particuarly is 140 years+ and still going. None of them are "moving anywhere". TJ Hughes has actually moved into the moor. As will Primark in due course. so again, your argument fails there. Things are MOVING IN not moving out.

That's why there are no pubs and the place dominated with empty shops and pound stores.

The place is not "dominated with empty shops and pound stores". Empty shops make up just a handful of the units on the Moor. If you count you might find far more occupied than empty. A large block of the "empty units" are currently under contruction and will soon be turned into new developments. You cannot build without clearing out first.

Incidently, there are only two pound shops on the Moor.

Also, why should there be Pubs on the Moor - is that some sort of hallmark I dont know about. Its a shopping street.

It isn't people like me that caused the decline in Sheffield. I merely pointed it out. The decline was caused by people like you who were prepared to ignore the symptoms, make excuses for the idiots in charge and sit back whilst they destroyed Sheffield.

I am not ignoring symptoms because there are no symptoms. Its retail. It has peaks and troughs. Sheffield are certainly not the only city centre to be feeling the pinch and certainly doing far better than many others around the country.

People who constantly play the "dump" "run down" "decaying" record all the time should take a look around the country every now and then. Try Perth, Bedford, Swindon, Bradford or Southampton.

SCC had a major setback with the failed SS project I agree and they have been no way perfect in their actions. HOWEVER, things are moving. Developments are happening and despite your protests I simply do not agree that the so called "decline" of the moor has anything at all to do with the fact that a carraigeway no longer goes through it.

All this talk as if the MPS Building is some sort of inpenitrable fortress for people from London Road. Absolute crap. Most people will be travelling through by bus anyway, which surprise surprise stops right outside the shops. Those that dont, hey guess what, you can walk around it.

All I do is shop elswhere. What the council has done is give me and thousands of others the reason to do that.

OK so you shop elsewhere and many others do too. I cannot argue with that.

But, what exactly has the Council done to make you do that?

What about we the public voting with our feet. We the public changing our shopping habits. We the public choosing to shop online and in supermarkets. We the public living and working further away from the city centre.

Edited by ECCOnoob

If you hadn't noticed no one is interested and the visitor numbers at the new market are 40% down and falling.

They are 40% lower than the target figures, but still higher than visitor numbers at Castle Market, which had been falling for years.