The New Moor Market

TBH it's been an odd mix of traders there. There will be queues stretching miles at the Wetherall Pork Pie stall but are those same customers then going to go and buy olives, posh ice cream, a £2.50 loaf and some organic beetroot?

I can afford the beer and the organic beetroot. I like the goat and mutton and cheap lamb shanks but if you go to the market for cheap chickens or trays of meat because you have a limited budget then the "posh" stall aren't really going to appeal.

I always used to go up London Road to Ozman for my exotic veg but I can now get it in the market, and it's really cheap. I love cheap, even though I can afford to go to Waitrose I'm not some sort of moron who'll pass up on a bargain. So the market is great for me.

But for those with limited spending power the organic beetroot and oat and fennel bread.....ain't going to appeal.

I like it and hope it survives. I do fear for it though. There seems to be more empty units by the week. I also hate the tight funnel that everyone is forced to go through by the butchers/fishmongers. Elsewhere there are stalls crying out for footfall whilst sometimes you can't move near the butchers because of the narrow channel.

Another thought I had on seeing how well the Crawshaws shop on The Moor is doing is that maybe people are a bit scared of markets nowadays. Things are priced per Kg or Lb whereas in a supermarket or at Crawshaws shop you pay what it says on the packet...no surprises, no having to compare prices between stalls, no fumbling about deciding what weight you want.

It is called competition. I went in Makro the other week. It was like a ghost town. They could host a market in the empty car park.

If you live near the market or work near it I can see it being for you. But living away from the city it is inconvenient because of Sheffields traffic systems and parking. For anyone to the south of Heeley it is quicker and cheaper to go to Chesterfield should you want to shop in a market and 2 dozen supermarkets if you don't.

I enjoy Chesterfield Market on a nice day. There is lots of room, easy free parking and some great cafes and pubs around the place. Did I mention the pubs?

By the way. If you haven't tried it give a look to the Chesterfield Alehouse. It is a great micro pub and not too far out from the market.

Edited by Anna Glypta

I think that's a very valid point - people aren't as used to this style of shopping. It can be quite intimidating when you first go in.

Sometimes it works to your advantage, being charged next to nothing for some raw prawns or rump steak, but other times you end up getting stung for a box of olives like I did at the Sheff food festival. It would have been cheaper to over to Greece and pick them myself.

As I have said before, when The Manpower services building first was proposed they said it would not block access to the Moor because the gates were supposed to be open to pedestrians to walk to and from London road. It never happened.

As I have said before, when The Manpower services building first was proposed they said it would not block access to the Moor because the gates were supposed to be open to pedestrians to walk to and from London road. It never happened.

The first mortal wound from which the Moor has slowly haemorrhaged to death.

the most important thing to any such development is access foot and nearby car parking something this council doesn't get

Indeed it is. The Moor's loss has been London Road's gain. The Manpower building may have cut the artery from the south but London Road has flourished as a result. All the restaurants that should have been on the Moor are there instead. London Road is as vibrant as the Moor is dead. London Road has free parking. At night London Road bustles with folk using cafes restaurants pubs and takeaways. Beyond the Manpower building is a deserted wilderness.

Instead pedestrians have to walk that extra 20 yards from South Lane, thus preventing millions from accessing the Moor.

Instead pedestrians have to walk that extra 20 yards from South Lane, thus preventing millions from accessing the Moor.

If only the customers would do as they were told the Moor Market wouldn't be 40,000 customers short of target.

Has anyone gone to the new market more now that its on the Moor than in its previous place?

I have only been twice since it was built, yet used to go to Castle Market nearly every week. For what I want it's just to far out to go to.

The Moor doesn't offer me much, unless I want to spend stupid money at Brighthouse or visit the Poundshop (to which Sheffield has plenty).

Me , castle market never appealed to me , it's location was inconvenient for me and more recently it was in a horrific condition but then i never had good memories of the place as a kid

Moor market is in an ideal location for me to use on a regular basis , i do understand the struggles the traders are having with footfall and the concerns of people obviously used to using castle but i refuse to accept the market is a nailed on failure

Yes changes need to be made from all sides but if the people of sheffield support it the moor market can and will be successful

Indeed it is. The Moor's loss has been London Road's gain. The Manpower building may have cut the artery from the south but London Road has flourished as a result. All the restaurants that should have been on the Moor are there instead. London Road is as vibrant as the Moor is dead. London Road has free parking. At night London Road bustles with folk using cafes restaurants pubs and takeaways. Beyond the Manpower building is a deserted wilderness.

What are you talking about. ITS A SHOPPING STREET.

Why would the Moor in any state pre or post MPS building have dozens of restaurants and take aways on it.

Of course London Road is vibrant at night. Its when most people tend to go out for dinner or go drinking. As for your interpretation of "flurish" well, you can be on your own with that one. A few supermarkets and junk shops are hardly prime retail. Do you know why the Moor is quiet at night?? Because the shops are closed. You know, just like Oxford Street, Princess Street, Corporation Street or any other major shopping strip in the world after hours.

Ever walked around Meadowhall after 9.00pm? Noticed how quiet it is eh. Spooky init.

Of course London Road has free parking. Its not in the heart of the city centre surrounded by retail and office units.

You really are clutching at straws here.