The New Moor Market

I dont know of a single person who has set off with no clue where to go, got to the end of London Road and then become stumped with where to go and turned back on themselves. I assume you know quite a few?

No I can't say that I do. I do however know quite a few who set off with the idea of going to a place on London Road because it has pubs, restaurants and free parking. There seems little point driving beyond the road block on an evening out when there is so little beyond. We go to hundreds of places all around Sheffield & Chesterfield. This week we took dinner at the Schoolrooms in Bradfield. Another day the Grouse at Longshaw. With such nice places to eat why pay for the hassle of going into Sheffield?

No I can't say that I do. I do however know quite a few who set off with the idea of going to a place on London Road because it has pubs, restaurants and free parking.

Part of an area outside of a city centre in having non-retail units and free parking shocker.

There will be plenty of people who live in the city centre who will prefer to use the cinema on the Moor. There are plenty of places to eat and drink on West Street, Division street etc. It will also have its own bars and palces to eat. When some people pay easily over £20 for a couple to go to the cinema, then £1.50 for parking isnt really going to be a biggie.

Edited by 999tigger

I dont know of a single person who has set off with no clue where to go, got to the end of London Road and then become stumped with where to go and turned back on themselves. I assume you know quite a few?

Like another poster I never even realised London Road continued through to the Moor...I used to walk that way most days and found the ring road far more of an obstacle...cunningly avoided though by using the underpass. It's hardly rocket science...

Can anyone remember what was on the site of the manpower services building before it was built? Was there retail there?

If its such a big problem, then how much would it cost to demolish and rebuild? Where would the money come from? where would they be relocating all the current tenants?

No I can't say that I do. I do however know quite a few who set off with the idea of going to a place on London Road because it has pubs, restaurants and free parking. There seems little point driving beyond the road block on an evening out when there is so little beyond. We go to hundreds of places all around Sheffield & Chesterfield. This week we took dinner at the Schoolrooms in Bradfield. Another day the Grouse at Longshaw. With such nice places to eat why pay for the hassle of going into Sheffield?

I think some people (mentioning no user names) are either tagged or have to adhere to strict curfew rules. ;)

---------- Post added 05-06-2014 at 14:57 ----------

Can anyone remember what was on the site of the manpower services building before it was built? Was there retail there?

If its such a big problem, then how much would it cost to demolish and rebuild? Where would the money come from? where would they be relocating all the current tenants?

From what I've been told by someone who owns a business at that end, the university are showing great interest in it.

I suppose if you live on London Road it isn't an issue with taking the car when you go onto the Moor. Not everyone chooses to live on London Road so using the car isn't an option. But London Road is good. It has the odd pub worth drinking in and a multitude of eating choices. That's why if we are heading that way and run into the road block that is Manpower Services we tend to stop and give our hardearned to the buisiness there rather than bothering with the ghost town beyond.

So you get confused by corners?

I can't say that the need to drink to excess is a major concern.

Who says anything about drinking to excess? I've never felt the need for a pint while shopping, and treat drinking as a social exercise, something which is a bit pointless when someone isn't able to drink. Going to a restaurant is a different matter entirely, but you were talking about the lack of pubs on the Moor affecting the London shopper.

A car only needs one driver and unlike public transport that driver takes everyone home to their front door which is nice when it is piddling it down.

There is a reason why much of the city is dead at night. There is no reason to go there. Until it is made attractive to visitors it is likely to remain that way.

Which cities have you been to in the last ten years which don't have shopping streets and entertainment streets. You only have to spend thirty seconds in the city at night to see Division Street, West Street and the areas with the bars and restaurants are far from dead at night.

The other cities I've spent significant time in, Norwich, Nottingham, Northampton, Leeds and Manchester all have the same thing - some streets are full of shops and dead at night, others are full of bars and restaurants and busy in the evening.

I think some people (mentioning no user names) are either tagged or have to adhere to strict curfew rules. ;)

---------- Post added 05-06-2014 at 14:57 ----------

From what I've been told by someone who owns a business at that end, the university are showing great interest in it.

I would suggest that person is talking utter balls as the Council are in the process of moving as many people as possible into there in an attempt to reduce their outgoings. There is going to be no change of use in that building for a long time to come.

The site was road. They stuck it in the middle of the road.

---------- Post added 05-06-2014 at 15:21 ----------

Who says anything about drinking to excess? I've never felt the need for a pint while shopping, and treat drinking as a social exercise, something which is a bit pointless when someone isn't able to drink. Going to a restaurant is a different matter entirely, but you were talking about the lack of pubs on the Moor affecting the London shopper.

I never actually mentioned London shoppers. Perhaps you are just confusing yourself by your other posts.

I don't usually drink during the day. However I do rather like to drop into the pubs in and around Chesterfield Market or Bakewell Market. They do very nice lunches and fresh ground coffee. Judging by the numbers using them on market days many others feel the same.

Sadly there are no nice pubs in and around the Moor Market or any of those quaint cafes where you can get home made cakes. The eating/drinking section of the Moor Market is rather like a bus station snack bar.

---------- Post added 05-06-2014 at 15:27 ----------

Which cities have you been to in the last ten years which don't have shopping streets and entertainment streets. You only have to spend thirty seconds in the city at night to see Division Street, West Street and the areas with the bars and restaurants are far from dead at night.

The other cities I've spent significant time in, Norwich, Nottingham, Northampton, Leeds and Manchester all have the same thing - some streets are full of shops and dead at night, others are full of bars and restaurants and busy in the evening.

Liverpool springs to mind. I doubt anyone who is over 25 would really want to have a night out on Division Street or West Street. It may be lively but most of the booze inside folks around there was bought in the supermarket.

---------- Post added 05-06-2014 at 15:29 ----------

I thought the same. Another good reason to avoid the areas where such folk congregate. Being mugged can spoil an otherwise good night out.

Edited by Anna Glypta