The New Moor Market

This is the city centre so space is very much at a premium, the supermarket over the road doesn't have a carpark at all but seems to do quite well for itself. If you would like the council to use your council tax money to pay for free parking in the city centre then by all means get the petition started but I reckon the queues we often get on Pinestone Street for John Lewis' multi story is probably advert enough for why the council don't like us taking cars into the city centre.

I couldn't care less about whether parking is free or not. I just pointed out why folk shop at supermarkets rather than the market. If I want to shop in a market it wouldn't be the one on the Moor for the reasons I stated before.

Edited by foxy lady

I couldn't care less about whether parking is free or not. I just pointed out why folk shop at supermarkets rather than the market. If I want to shop in a market it wouldn't be the one on the Moor for the reasons I stated before.

Right but given the supermarket over the road doesn't have a carpark and has stayed in business there's clearly a set of people who do their food shopping without a car. Hint not everyone in Sheffield has to go to the market for it to be successful, just a subset of the population. If you don't visit we won't hold it against you, much.

I have it on good authority that George Clooney is in the Moor Market at around noon tomorrow . The info also states that He will be having lunch at Sharrons cafe.

Weirdly the same time as my inauguration as king of Djumbuarembutumasabo. :hihi:

I have it on good authority that George Clooney is in the Moor Market at around noon tomorrow . The info also states that He will be having lunch at Sharrons cafe.

It's not George Clooney, I'm often mistaken for a younger version of him when I'm looking a bit rough. I'll put the effort in & have a shave tomorrow though.

It's not George Clooney, I'm often mistaken for a younger version of him when I'm looking a bit rough. I'll put the effort in & have a shave tomorrow though.

It is George Clooney,

Sergeant Bilko has confirmed the booking.

One of things I often used to buy at old market was a huge big bag of shrimps.

New market does not have it, bye bye I go to aldi, they just started jumbo shrimps again.

Ironically to go back to the tram issue. Now the works are going on yellow meadowhall route Cineworld is showing a significant reduction in customers while the replacement bus stop drives through centertainment, closer than the tram.

Still people choose to not go if that tram is not there. You have a tram, you should not put your market away from it.

One of things I often used to buy at old market was a huge big bag of shrimps.

New market does not have it, bye bye I go to aldi, they just started jumbo shrimps again.

Ironically to go back to the tram issue. Now the works are going on yellow meadowhall route Cineworld is showing a significant reduction in customers while the replacement bus stop drives through centertainment, closer than the tram.

Still people choose to not go if that tram is not there. You have a tram, you should not put your market away from it.

Isnt that the problem of the stalls though? Its up to them to sell what people want. Id suggest Iceland is a better bet than Aldi although it varies on who has them on offer. You should also try the chinese wholesaler behind the back of Aldi becayse they sell tiger prawns etc. the market has bever been big for frozen food.

Before drawing your conclusions then perhaps have a bit of patience till the Moor is redeveloped and it becomes worth going to again. Scottish widows are spending tens of millions of £. It takes time for things to pick up again after a recession and for people to decide its worth venturing down there. The Moor was in decline since the mid 80s, so to start making conclusions over 6 months when trying to reverse 30 years of decline is a bit foolish.

The new cinema will have a significant catchment area consisting of students and people living within 15 minutes walk. you have a choice, tram to centretainment and free car park or go to town now, whcih will be more convenient for people from that side of town.

A tram built down eyre street would be good, but you cant magic up the money. Can you remember what it was like before the tram plus waht it was like as the tran works went on for years?

Don't worry tigger.

I am absolutely certain Sheffield will have a market one way or another and will not live without one. I keep my eyes open to the developments and wait for the changes to happen.

Worst case scenario we put up outdoor market stalls in front of city hall square or around tudor square. I bet something like that would draw more people than we get in the moor now.