The New Moor Market

There is something here that folks seem to be missing. The continental market only runs once or twice a year. So folk who want to buy all turn up on the same day. It is pretty easy to be busy if you only open one day per year. Father Christmas works his buns off one day a year.

The artisan bread, special meats and cheeses just might go a bit off if they only bought them every six months.

The artisan bread, special meats and cheeses just might go a bit off if they only bought them every six months.

I'm sure they would, but more importantly the customers would go off them if they bought them every day. So if you sell Christmas crackers 365 days of the year your trade is going to be very thin on the ground.

Nope juicy patties decided it couldnt make it in the market so moved during its rent free period. I think he had problems with location, but also hed failed to properly consider market clientele at the time. I thought he was moving up to where cooplands was?

There have been some new shops including the coffee seller, new cake seller and expansion of the organic shop. Im mexpecting more than a few more to cease trading and its in the non food offering I think that youd have to question whether they have the right product. Many stalls have just drifted in from the CM.

I think you and andy would probably agree. Andy is simply saying considering its location then a stall must be selling soemthing unique and that customers want. Beer stall and organic veg for instance. they cna charge a premium.

You can do it with broken biscuits, but its a much tougher ask considering the competition.

Market stopped being a destination outlet years ago, so they are relying on the moor reviving as well and the further shops to bring more people down there. The internal design and layout I think is very poor. Some of the stalls that have gone out of business have done so because of where they were. the clear advantage is with those in the entrance. the architects really havent understood the flow and movement of people in a market.

The Moor Market is a backward step from the Castle Market , it is in on a worse site in a worse situation and is in an inferior building why not admit it ! it will be proved to be a failure a failure that will cost the council tax payers over 60 million pounds in the long run and to top it all the same set of so called planners are now in charge of borrowing untold millions to restart the new development around the so called heart of the City.

The asylum is now being run by the inmates.

The Moor Market is a backward step from the Castle Market , it is in on a worse site in a worse situation and is in an inferior building why not admit it ! it will be proved to be a failure a failure that will cost the council tax payers over 60 million pounds in the long run and to top it all the same set of so called planners are now in charge of borrowing untold millions to restart the new development around the so called heart of the City.

The asylum is now being run by the inmates.

Or on the flip side... the new market, and the Moor in general will be a success from 2016/7 when the cinema and a few more shops are open. You have your view and I have mine. Difference is I'm not stuck in the 1920s.

Or on the flip side... the new market, and the Moor in general will be a success from 2016/7 when the cinema and a few more shops are open. You have your view and I have mine. Difference is I'm not stuck in the 1920s.

I am I love the 1920's pity I wasn't there maybe you can enlighten me .

Cuttsie is desperate for it to fail. He isnt as far forward as the 1920s knock another hundred years off. His solution was just £115,000 an he'd have set CM to rights with a lot of emulsion paint.

Cuttsie likes a good old moan about the city centre and then he likes a good old moan about when anyone spends any money to develop a site which brings in jobs and investment.

Edited by 999tigger

Didn't they start talking of the Sevenstones project a decade ago. I'm not seeing it. The shops that were there in the 1920s are gone but they don't seem to be getting replaced with new ones any more. There was a cinema but it closed. I hear a lot of talk but I've seen enough false dawns round Sheffield to know that I'll believe there's a cinema when they show Terminator 15 in it.

Didn't they start talking of the Sevenstones project a decade ago. I'm not seeing it. The shops that were there in the 1920s are gone but they don't seem to be getting replaced with new ones any more. There was a cinema but it closed. I hear a lot of talk but I've seen enough false dawns round Sheffield to know that I'll believe there's a cinema when they show Terminator 15 in it.

Except Scottish Widows are financing it and not Hammersons, at least where the moor is concerned.

Yes - but this isn't Sevenstone. The Moor is being redeveloped by Scottish Widows, who bought up most of the old buildings. The cinema is being built, they have already got a tenant (The Light cinema chain). They have also leased a retail unit in the same block to Primark. And looking at the front page of tomorrow's Star it looks like Sevenstone mark II might not be too far away.

Yes - but this isn't Sevenstone. The Moor is being redeveloped by Scottish Widows, who bought up most of the old buildings. The cinema is being built, they have already got a tenant (The Light cinema chain). They have also leased a retail unit in the same block to Primark. And looking at the front page of tomorrow's Star it looks like Sevenstone mark II might not be too far away.

You guys can believe what ever you like. I don't count my chickens before they hatch. There is far more bull poop around than top end retailers in this city. I won't be buying a cinema season ticket before I see folks queuing for the opening night.

---------- Post added 10-06-2014 at 00:08 ----------

Except Scottish Widows are financing it and not Hammersons, at least where the moor is concerned.

So!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hammersons are building in a few more cities than Scottish Widdows.