The New Moor Market

Could the withdrawal of the freebie bus service be a factor or is it just a sign of the times.:|

Maybe. There are few who cannot walk far without support but that bus was not much of a time saver nor did it cover any unwalkable distance.

It's not Bags More that's closing, as far as I know, it's the bag stall in the middle of the market that's closing down.

Given that I'm not totally sure where that is, I'm not greatly surprised it's closing.

Can't say I've ever noticed it been like a 'ghost town'

Hopefully the bag stall will be replaced by a stall that people want and it'll be busy like the ones you mention ... Busy because there selling things people want !

Take a look at Chesterfield Market if you want to see a market that is booming. They have expanded the number of traders in recent months probably due to folk relocating from Castle Market.

You can buy all sorts of stuff there from guitars to fish and from mobility scooters to garden plants.

Of course the major attraction to Chezzy market is the really good cafes with home made cakes that are all around the market place. Pubs too.

It is easy to see how they are luring traders from Sheffield when you can take a stall for £9.70/day.

There is also a really good pie shop "Jacksons" who make fantastic pies. I'm popping in to get some on Friday.

---------- Post added 17-06-2014 at 11:22 ----------

Interesting to see Leeds market also having problems, connected with parking:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-27864753

I saw that. But you'll not make any friends on here suggesting shoppers want somewhere to park their car. It's not the Sheffield way.

---------- Post added 17-06-2014 at 11:24 ----------

Maybe. There are few who cannot walk far without support but that bus was not much of a time saver nor did it cover any unwalkable distance.

A walkable distance varies depending how much weight you have in your bags. So a bit of walking isn't an issue to folk who don't buy anything.

I can't understand how people continue to suggest there is nowhere to park near the Moor Market. There's a multi storey right next door! Ok it's not free parking, but where in Sheffield city centre can you park for free? The market is well served by buses, there's even a cycle park area. I don't think transport difficulties can take the blame for the poor results.

I can't understand how people continue to suggest there is nowhere to park near the Moor Market. There's a multi storey right next door! Ok it's not free parking, but where in Sheffield city centre can you park for free? The market is well served by buses, there's even a cycle park area. I don't think transport difficulties can take the blame for the poor results.

If there was a free car park, the complaints would be that it's too far away.

If there was a free car park, next door, the complaints would be that shoppers don't want to get wet walking between the car park and the market.

If there was a free car park, in the same building as the market, the complaints would be that the car park is too difficult to get to.

If there was a free car park, in the same building as the market, with direct access from every road in the city, the complaints would be that the council has bent over backwards for car drivers but made it too difficult for pedestrians to get there.

The same people would complain whatever the council did, either because they love to pick fault, don't believe in the word compromise, or so dearly loved the old castle market such that no replacement would ever be suitable.

Next door to the market, at the other side, in front of Staples.

Think all you want, it is one of main reasons many of my friends have stopped going to new market.