The New Moor Market

You've lost me there.:huh::huh:

You've been on here all day slagging Sheffield market off & singing the praises of Chesterfield, one pie shop in particular, you're using marketing terms like "vibrant", you know exactly how much a stall there costs, but you don't work there? Pull the other one.

Edited by anywebsite

You've been on here all day slagging Sheffield market off & singing the praises of Chesterfield, one pie shop in particular, you're using marketing terms like "vibrant", you know exactly how much a stall there costs, but you don't work there? Pull the other one.

OK councillor.

But as the footfall is 40% down on what the council told traders to expect and they are quitting the place despite the extended rent free period, just going on about the customers moaning doesn't really cut it. What is needed is someone to do something to reverse the decline not someone to tell customers they got it wrong.

---------- Post added 17-06-2014 at 17:24 ----------

Not exact figure for the other places but there are counts of those going through the doors at the Moor Market which seems to be averaging around 57-59,000 per week, and not the 100,000 that the council promised to traders. This despite many folk in that part of town just popping in to use the toilets. They are part of the head count despite not actually buying anything.

But its up massively on what it was before the market was there so clearly there is some call and need for a market is there not?

What we need are good solid figures. Figures comparing like with like, whats the average spend, whats the footfall on the Moor compared to before the market was there, whats the average spend on the Moor in general compared to before the market was there. Its all well and good slating it and praising it but what can't lie is the data. The data will tell us everything. If footfall and spend on the Moor has increased on average then moving the market there can be determined to be a success for that part part of town. The market itself is still in a bedding in stage as people get used to it and it attracts and sheds its customer base. It will establish the kind of market it really it is over the next few years as the Moor changes and its going to end up very different to Castle Market

That's probably why the old market was dying, the new one is failing and the town centre consists of pound shops, betting shops and boarded up shops.

I use the very vibrant market in Chesterfield where I can park for free, get a decent cup of fresh ground coffee and home made cakes.

There's not much point telling folk they can park there for a couple of quid or walk 500 yards with their bags of purchases. They aren't interested. They are voting with their feet and shopping elsewhere at a place they find convenient, not one others think they should be prepared to tollerate.

My Bold

I to am a regular shopper in Chesterfield, could you please tell me where i can park for free near the market ?

But its up massively on what it was before the market was there so clearly there is some call and need for a market is there not?

What we need are good solid figures. Figures comparing like with like, whats the average spend, whats the footfall on the Moor compared to before the market was there, whats the average spend on the Moor in general compared to before the market was there. Its all well and good slating it and praising it but what can't lie is the data. The data will tell us everything. If footfall and spend on the Moor has increased on average then moving the market there can be determined to be a success for that part part of town. The market itself is still in a bedding in stage as people get used to it and it attracts and sheds its customer base. It will establish the kind of market it really it is over the next few years as the Moor changes and its going to end up very different to Castle Market

The figures are roughly similar. c60,000 from CM and the new Moor Market now. The average spend is much higher at Moor Market. The predicted amount was 100,000, so that projection is wrong. Tha's the closest data that has been released.

I'd say the bedding in phase would be about 3-4 years, when the rest of the major developments on the Moor happen, which will bring more people there. It will only be considered a success imo if it starts to pay for itself in about 4 years time. As many of the stallks are what were left of CM, then there is still substantial change to happen as stalls need to adapt to the new location or go out of business. They need to sell what the customers there want. Some of the stalls are clearly out of place, but there are also plenty of other things they can do such as longer hours and having a look at the layout.

If the stalls cant attract people, then they should reconsider what they sell. If there isnt enough demand for a market then Sheffield has to reconsider whether it needs a market at all and just prefers to have supermarkets every mile or so.

Think all you want, it is one of main reasons many of my friends have stopped going to new market.

Solely because it's not served by the tram ?? Because i fail to see how the moor market isn't easily accessible by car and bus

Castle market i hadn't used for 15yr or more .. To be honest no disrespect to the traders that stayed there till the end but is was an absolute dive of a place in an area of town i have no desire to frequent , but enlighten me as to why it was so accessible ?!?

Solely because it's not served by the tram ?? Because i fail to see how the moor market isn't easily accessible by car and bus

Castle market i hadn't used for 15yr or more .. To be honest no disrespect to the traders that stayed there till the end but is was an absolute dive of a place in an area of town i have no desire to frequent , but enlighten me as to why it was so accessible ?!?

Castle Market was certainly a dive. Neglect had made it so. So it is of major concern that moving the market to an upmarket area where land should be at a premium and tipping £18 million into the project, there aren't more folk using it than the old tip.

This must be particularly worrying as not only has it taken valuable retail space away from the moor. It has also condemned the Haymarket area to wither on the vine.

Some people talking about the virtues of Chesterfield market. However I have been to Chesterfield 8 or 9 times this year and on about half of those it was closed (apparently it is open only 3 or 4 days) and on the days it was open only about half of the stalls were open so hardly thriving or booming. As for free parking - where? - parked near currys certainly not right on the doorstep since the free parking during the day would be just as close if not closer in Sheffield. As for the indoor food bit - very poor. Plenty of pubs and cafes - not in the market and less within a short distance than Sheffield. Department stores - nope. Sorry but Chesterfield has little to offer-the best store in Chesterfield was the co-op and that is long gone.

Castle Market was certainly a dive. Neglect had made it so. So it is of major concern that moving the market to an upmarket area where land should be at a premium and tipping £18 million into the project, there aren't more folk using it than the old tip.

This must be particularly worrying as not only has it taken valuable retail space away from the moor. It has also condemned the Haymarket area to wither on the vine.

Doesn't answer the question of why castle was so accessible however , not really sure the bottom of the moor could be called an upmarket area and land was clearly not going to be at a premium down there as it also had been neglected

You can sit around blaming the council for everything all you like , i by no means like them myself ! But the Moor Market will only be successful if the traders get positive and concentrate on what they can affect instead of what they can't and point fingers at who's fault it is there buisness is failing , find out what customer demand is and change to offer it ! Can't just expect what worked in castle will work in the Moor

And the people of the Sheffield need to support it , it is not inaccessible i don't see it as an issue whatsoever , the layout is questionable , the opening times are restrictive and possibly out of touch with what people need these days so let's get these points raised and see about having a market that works for us all ! And we can all use for many years to come

It has also condemned the Haymarket area to wither on the vine.

Which is exactly how the Council's city centre masterplan wants it. That area is due for redevelopment and the masterplan sees it as having offices bars / leisure. The retail will be condensed onto the Moor and the New Retail Quarter