The New Moor Market

noticed the furniture shop has closing down sale and granelis ice cream cart has gone,not much will be left at this rate to save,it seems to me they need a expert in from outside to sort this lot out before theres nothing to save,parking is one problem,buses for some are another,it needs advertising so people know whats on offer as far as I can see from fruit/veg prices its terrific value,the meat is good value and so is the bread,the cafes are nice and clean,the market is fine in many ways and I fully understand theres a lot of work to be done before the areas finished,so come on scc get it sorted before it fails

I expect Granellis ice cream cart would make far more money being in a park or going to outside events. It was only there for a few weeks. Not really a presence or loss.

Do we really need a furniture shop in that location?

The only sticking point with parking is that it costs 50p an hour because its in the town centre in contrast to a supermarket or Meadowhall which is free.

There are plenty of buses which go down charter row, bottom of the moor and eyre street. Its an extra ten minuites for some people to get to its 10 minutes less for others on that side of town.

I expect Granellis ice cream cart would make far more money being in a park or going to outside events. It was only there for a few weeks. Not really a presence or loss.

Do we really need a furniture shop in that location?

The only sticking point with parking is that it costs 50p an hour because its in the town centre in contrast to a supermarket or Meadowhall which is free.

There are plenty of buses which go down charter row, bottom of the moor and eyre street. Its an extra ten minuites for some people to get to its 10 minutes less for others on that side of town.

Tha't grasping at straws Trigger the new Market is crap.

Ask the traders, ask the traditional Market shoppers,? face facts A gigantic goolie has been dropped by The Council, The Town Planners, The chief executive, The Council Leader, The Market Manager.

All who may I add are conspicuous by their absence from public comment .

But neer mind tha't trying thi best on their behalf.

Tha't grasping at straws Trigger the new Market is crap.

Ask the traders, ask the traditional Market shoppers,? face facts A gigantic goolie has been dropped by The Council, The Town Planners, The chief executive, The Council Leader, The Market Manager.

Then how come it's not doing any worse than the old market?

Then how come it's not doing any worse than the old market?

Don't be daft it is obviously doing worse and to top it all it is costing 60 million [inc interest] to do worse.

Face facts its crap. [not my words] but the words of the traders who have to try and rescue this gigantic goolie that the Town Planners have dropped them in.

Don't be daft it is obviously doing worse and to top it all it is costing 60 million [inc interest] to do worse.

How is it doing worse when it's attracting basically the same number of visitors?

Face facts its crap. [not my words] but the words of the traders who have to try and rescue this gigantic goolie that the Town Planners have dropped them in.

I just don't get this. :huh:

If things are so bad then why don't the traders just leave and find a nice empty shop somewhere like some have already done.

That way they can decide their own location near to their favourite bus routes, and even specify their own opening hours to suit them...

... but then of course they would have to pay the going rent... :roll:

How is it doing worse when it's attracting basically the same number of visitors?

Its pointless arguing with him. he cant admit to himself times have moved on and people prefer supermarkets.

He wont admit sheaf market failed and then his beloved castle market also failed becayse people shopped elsewhere.

His plans for success were some emulsion paint £115k worth ignoring the £12m structural repairs.

He also wants people to consider stalls outside castle market which were tried and failed.

He also blames the council for the destruction of his beloved egg box town hall and the piece gardens redevelopment. If he could turn Sheffield back to the 1800's where he resides, then he would.

---------- Post added 18-06-2014 at 23:10 ----------

If things are so bad then why don't the traders just leave and find a nice empty shop somewhere like some have already done.

That way they can decide their own location near to their favourite bus routes, and even specify their own opening hours to suit them...

Agreed and a few have (simmonites doing vvvv well, seafyre chippy and juicy patties). Cuttsie could start his own market which they could join and bring back the good old victorian times or earlier.

I expect a lot of them will do just that the moment they start to charge rent. That's why the rent free period was extended, otherwise the place would be half empty of traders.

---------- Post added 19-06-2014 at 08:45 ----------

Wasn't it supposed to get rather more. You don't replace a ferry that sunk with a new one already on the sea bed.

---------- Post added 19-06-2014 at 08:59 ----------

Strange that - Mosborough is further south than woodseats and Sheffield market is easier to get to by far.

You may as well go to Crystal Peaks in that case.

Actually I've just run those journies through my head and getting to Chesterfield from Mosborough is a far better run than trying to access Sheffield City Centre. But I'd still go to Crystal Peaks anyhow.

Edited by eckerslike

Wasn't it supposed to get rather more. You don't replace a ferry that sunk with a new one already on the sea bed.

No, but when you buy a bigger one, you don't complain it's doing worse than the sunk one because it only gets as many people using it.

The old market end now is becoming a no go area as everything has suffered with the market moving. Only Wilkinsons is keeping the area going. Heard Yorkshire Bank is shutting Haymarket and the Moor to concentrate on Fargate branch. Primark looking to move as well, anything below Castle Sq is going to become an eyesore.