The New Moor Market

The reason sheffield castle was knocked down wasnt the fault of the council its because the powers that they backed the wrong side during the civil war.

Btw Blackbeard the Cathedral is fine. It was by the poster marx who dislikes all religion and just wanted to sack everyone,let it fall into ruin, take away the money they had raised by their own efforts and spend it on projects he gave the ok to.

P

I am with you on the Cathedral, I watched with interest the major rebuild of it.

I even got to see some of the work being done, surprised it did not fall down many years ago, it seems that there were little or no foundations for some of the columns. Hopefully they don't build them like that anymore and we complain about building regulations.

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 14:17 ----------

As was the corn exchange although damaged by fire it was repairable.

At what cost and what would you have used it for? We don't exchange corn anymore.

P

I am with you on the Cathedral, I watched with interest the major rebuild of it.

I even got to see some of the work being done, surprised it did not fall down many years ago, it seems that there were little or no foundations for some of the columns. Hopefully they don't build them like that anymore and we complain about building regulations.

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 14:17 ----------

At what cost and what would you have used it for? We don't exchange corn anymore.

We don't pray any more.

We don't pray any more.

You may not, but quite a few do and the church's on that site have in in use since the 12 century, btw in 1266 it was burnt down in the second Barons war, they rebuilt it because they needed a church. The heart of the church you see today dates back to about 1430 and it is said that the market used to go up to the church gates, your idea of the market being just around the site of the castle could be wrong.

You may not, but quite a few do and the church's on that site have in in use since the 12 century, btw in 1266 it was burnt down in the second Barons war, they rebuilt it because they needed a church. The heart of the church you see today dates back to about 1430 and it is said that the market used to go up to the church gates, your idea of the market being just around the site of the castle could be wrong.

There was a lot more used the Markets on the market site than ever used a Church.

I do not think that it takes much imagination to realise just where the trading started in Sheffield .

Hope you find the Castle under Exchange Street by the way.;)

Think you will find the reason the castle was knocked down was because its owners supported the losing side in the ECW.

Think you will find the outer part of the castle did cross over exchange street.

Hope they find it tigger, William Moss and son din't when they were digging ten mitres down for the foundation levels of the Market in 1959 on that very Street, that is just about river level so them medieval builders must have been very clever if they built below that.

There was a lot more used the Markets on the market site than ever used a Church.

I do not think that it takes much imagination to realise just where the trading started in Sheffield .

Hope you find the Castle under Exchange Street by the way.;)

Have you ever seen the remains of the castle under the old Castle Market? Not a lot to see I must admit and the first time I saw them, years ago, the smell was terrible, the drains from the meat market had flooded them.

YES There are. At least 15 according to council website

Can you name the locations of these 15 PUBLIC toilets ? , the only ones that

I know have stayed open are on the outskirts of Sheffield , Bradfield , Chapletown and Stocksbridge , these were closed and then reopened with funding from local parish councils .

Edited by BIGLIL

Have you ever seen the remains of the castle under the old Castle Market? Not a lot to see I must admit and the first time I saw them, years ago, the smell was terrible, the drains from the meat market had flooded them.

I saw em first in 1960 I was building the wall directly above them on the loading bay so I was just about 700 years after the first set of lads on that job. [My bit of history is doomed in the name of progress though:(]

I then visited the site around four years ago when we were trying to save the Castle Market for the people of Sheffield;) nothing had altered it was still just a pile of rubble and not a very well built pile either.

Can you name the locations of these 15 PUBLIC toilets ? , the only ones that

I know have stayed open or on the outskirts of Sheffield , Bradfield , Chapletown and Stocksbridge , these were closed and then reopened with funding from local parish councils .

You got your answer in post 2071. Try to keep up with the thread instead of just dipping in and out with your ill conceived rantings.